Your question

Faulty Power Supply?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Computers
  • Components
Last response: in Components
July 12, 2012 7:37:59 PM

Hi, over the past 3 months, I've been having computer issues with my old gateway. These issues include a graphics card not working and when its in the computer, the computer seems to rev on startup, the computer suddenly turning off when logging on or on strenuous applications, and finally no post beep. This really sounds like a power supply gone bad to me (the psu brand is also thermaltake, which ive heard bad reviews). I'd really like a second opinion before going to buy a new power supply, or I'd like to hear if anyone else has had similar issues. Any help would be great!

More about : faulty power supply

July 13, 2012 6:44:20 PM

Well the power supply sound like it could be okay, but could be bad. A common fault of no POST beep is the ram, if you have another stick, try that. Also, it could be the CPU or even the motherboard.

But it's most likely the ram or power supply, i recommend buying a new power supply and/or ram.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-QUIET-ACE-BLACK-EDITION-6...

People say it's bad to have a cheap PSU, but this one has lasted me over 2 years without a single hiccup and i have

Core 2 duo 3GHz
4GB DDR2 Ram
Nvidia 9400gt
500GB Hard Drive
Windows xp

Hope this helps
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 13, 2012 8:30:13 PM

Baller911 said:
Hi, over the past 3 months, I've been having computer issues with my old gateway. These issues include a graphics card not working and when its in the computer, the computer seems to rev on startup, the computer suddenly turning off when logging on or on strenuous applications, and finally no post beep. This really sounds like a power supply gone bad to me (the psu brand is also thermaltake, which ive heard bad reviews). I'd really like a second opinion before going to buy a new power supply, or I'd like to hear if anyone else has had similar issues. Any help would be great!

This could be a number of issues...overheating, power, drivers, GPU, RAM all come to mind. What are your system specs? Have you checked your Event Log to see what errors are associated with the shutdown/reboots? Have you tried monitoring temps and voltages using an app from your mobo mfr?
m
l
!