Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge or Intel Core i5-3570K

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 12, 2012 7:50:31 PM

So I'm in the planning process for building a custom PC and I'm wondering whether I should get the i7 or get the i5 and just overclock it when I need more power. I don't plan on doing any gaming. I'm going to be using Adobe Premiere so would the difference in time be noticeable? The other thing is that I want this computer to be top of the line for at least 6 years and I would like it to last for another 10 years after that (excluding HDD, PSU and fans). Let me know what you think and sorry if this is super similar to other questions.

-Asus P8Z77 series (Not sure which one yet)

-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

-SSD Boot Drive, 128GB either going with Samsung or Plextor. Maybe Corsair or OCZ

-WD 7200rpm HDD. Caviar Black seems popular so I might go with that. At least 1TB.

-CD/DVD/BR Writer/Burner

-Diablotek 775W PSU

-Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Full Tower Silent PC Computer Case. I have fallen in love with this thing.

-ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm Long life bearing CPU Cooler Blue LED

-I don't know anything about GPU so if you could suggest something that suits my needs and that won't lag please let me know because I would love to dual screen.

- Asus monitor...

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
July 12, 2012 8:01:05 PM

Quote:
The other thing is that I want this computer to be top of the line for at least 6 years and I would like it to last for another 10 years

That part won't happen. Just not possible (with ANY hardware, especially for your use).

Anyway, for Premiere, an i7 is the way to go, BUT you need the 3770K, not the 3770 non-K to OC it.

Another thing, dump that DiabloTek PSU and get something that's actually worth buying. I wouldn't trust a DiabloTek PSU to power anything, much less a system that means something to you. Why? "Boom" should sum it up nicely.

Since you're not gaming, any GPU will do, really, even the iGPU of the i7. AND you will only need a 400-450W PSU for a system without a GPU (you can get away with less than that even). If you decide that you want a GPU for some reason, then I'd get a 500-550W unit. Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone, Antec, and PC Power & Cooling are a few brands that I recommend.
July 12, 2012 8:09:39 PM

Thanks for the quick answer. Do you really think the 3770K is necessary? I don't know to much about over clocking and I know it's very simple with the Asus BIOS but would I keep it OC'd 24/7 or just during power intensive processes?
m
l
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
July 12, 2012 8:16:46 PM

dk1447 said:
Thanks for the quick answer. Do you really think the 3770K is necessary? I don't know to much about over clocking and I know it's very simple with the Asus BIOS but would I keep it OC'd 24/7 or just during power intensive processes?

The "K" part is necessary for OC'ing, yes. Non-K CPU's have locked multipliers and you can only OC with the BCLK, which is dangerous to go very far with and doesn't get you very far anyway.

Now, an i5 and i7 CAN be OC'd slightly trough something known as "Limited Unlocked" such that you can raise the Turbo mulit's by 4 bins (400Mhz), but that's not REALLY that much of an OC, either.

A "K" CPU is the way to go if you really want to OC.

As far as a 24/7 OC goes, you can just do what I do and leave all of the power saving features enabled (SpeedStep, etc.), and just use the High Performance power plan in Windows to keep it at full speed when you need it, but set it back to Balanced, when you don't, so it'll clock down and save power and keep the heat lower.
m
l
July 12, 2012 8:29:55 PM

Sweet! Thanks!
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 12, 2012 8:31:22 PM

You're welcome. :) 
m
l
July 12, 2012 9:09:03 PM