ostitcho

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
I played on a 42" LCD Panasonic for a while.Games looked good.Played on my dads 46" LED Sony Bravia and games looked AMAZING!!So I bought an Acer 23' LCD with LED Tech and it looks bleached out compared to the Bravia??Is this really an overpriced monitor or are all PC monitors like this?Its the $179 from walmart dont see th Model number also says Mercury free LED could that be the difference?Please give advice on a great gaming monitor that has quality like the Sony Bravia

It is important to not compare anything from Acer to a good tv.

The washout effect is most likely due to the Acer screen being unable to produce darker colors. I find on cheap screens, the dark colors blend together and the blacks become dark grey/purple.

I find it best to check out screens in the store.

The LED lighting(it is just a backlight) will not help when placed under a bad LCD panel.

Your problem is also most likely back light bleeding(if your dark colors look bad).

To be honest, there is such a variation even among screens from the same manufacturer.

TN panels tend to have worse color(i find it more noticeable in the dark end), but are used because they are less expensive and have fast response times.

You may want to try to play with the color settings to see if you can get it any better. I had picked up an Acer screen and it was just not very good for me, but i am picky.

My screen Samsung 245T cost over $600 to get, and even it has room for improvement(overdrive related inverted ghosting).

I Have not owned enough screens to give you an idea of what will be best for you. Even among the same brand you will find better and worse screens.

It may be worth looking into reviews on screens, but note that not all users are that picky.