"Antec 520W Neo Eco" might not be enough for my new rig? PLEASE HELP!

verdex9

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Hello,
I did almost a complete upgrade to my old Desktop two days ago and everything was fantastic, until I started having some problem which I THINK are associated with the Wattage Power being inssuficient for my current computer:

CPU:::::::::::::::::: Intel Core i5 3550
Motherboard:::: MSI Z77A-G43
Graphics:::::::::: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE 1GB
RAM::::::::::::::::: G.Skill DDR3 2x2GB 1600Mhz PC3-12800 RipjawsX
Hard Drive:::::::: Seagate Barracuda 250GB Sata2 7200rpm
Hard Drive:::::::: Samsung F1 320GB Sata2 7200rpm
Optical Drive:::: Samsung Super WriteMaster SH-S223
Cooling::::::::::::: Thermaltake 120mm Blue LED Fan (x4)
Power Supply:: Antec 520W Neo Eco 520C 80PLUS
Case:::::::::::::::: Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Edition
Monitor::::::::::::: Sony Bravia LED 32EX525
Keyboard::::::::: Maxell LED Retroilluminated Keyboard
Mouse:::::::::::::: A4Tech X7-F3

Aditionally I have connected a "Front Panel Media Card Reader", a "Bluetooth Adapter" and a "Razer Onza XBox Controller", which may draw some power from the PSU...

I'll explain the problem now; When I first started the PC after building it, everything went fine and I set the BIOS to defaults, I didn't OC anything yet... Later that day, I decided to change the Multiplier to x37 instead of the original x33, because the motherboard allows me to and well, why not OC a little... I checked my temps and the processor didn't get past 50ºC on full load, so that was perfect for me, so I wanted to OC up to 4.00GHz just by raising the Multiplier to x40... Before I did this, I noticed my computer would reboot by itself when I was gaming or surfing the internet, it was a "soft reboot", which means, windows logged off and shut down normally but when I didn't command it to do so... Then I tried several times to turn ON the computer but it had difficulties booting up, sometimes it wouldn't load the OS and it was even tough to access the BIOS (after several retries and reboots I could), so when I managed to get access to the BIOS I did an "Underclock" and set the Multiplier to x30, and then the OS booted perfectly fine and it didn't reboot alone again (or until now xD)... I also had OC'ed my GPU with "EVGA Precision" when the computer rebooted by itself, I know it's another relevant factor if the PSU would be the problem here... So right now, I have my processor in 3.00GHz and the GPU with its normal clocks and voltages, to be safe and not have any more problems again...

I called the store where I bought the PSU and they told me I could get the "Antec 620W Neo Eco" for a low price if I returned the 520, of course, so what should I do? I haven't changed to the 620 yet because I'm not sure if it really is the problem, any suggestions or personal experiences or something you could tell me to help?

THANKS!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I did OC to 4.00GHz with the Multiplier x40, but as soon as I saved my settings and rebooted, the first message I got was "Overclocking settings have failed, the default settings have been set" (or something like that). I think it's strange because my temperatures where NEVER over 60ºC, so it's not a temperature problem, which makes me think even more that the problem is the Power Supply...

Solution
D
You can overclock non "K" i5 and i7 processors 4 bins or 400Mhz over stock via the Turbo function. You should not have to increase voltage. So you should be able to run your processor at 3.7Ghz with all 4 cores and Turbo up to 4.1Ghz with a single core.

A 520w Antec power supply is more than enough for your listed system.

verdex9

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

OK, so it isn't the PSU, but anyway, I really want to overclock so any help would be extremely appreciated! Any guides or tips like what to set as the Voltage or what things should I change in the BIOS?

Thanks!

I understand your want to overclock, however I don't think it would be really recommended considering your CPU doesn't have an unlocked multiplier. It allows you to change your multiplier in the BIOS, but I'm sure those were all intended for the 'already-built-in' turbo boost to take advantage of.

Personally I wouldn't overclock at all until you get AT LEAST an i5 3570k :(

D

Deleted member 217926

You can overclock non "K" i5 and i7 processors 4 bins or 400Mhz over stock via the Turbo function. You should not have to increase voltage. So you should be able to run your processor at 3.7Ghz with all 4 cores and Turbo up to 4.1Ghz with a single core.

A 520w Antec power supply is more than enough for your listed system.

Solution

verdex9

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

Wow that's more like the kind of answer I was looking for, thanks alot :) ... The thing is, I went to the BIOS right now, I set the multiplier to x37 and also activated Turbo Boost, so it could reach 4.1GHz on the single core, the problem is, CPU-Z is only detecting 3.7GHz and not 4.1GHZ ... Is this a Intel Turbo boost problem? (by the way, I desactivated X.M.P. because I read somewhere it's better when OverClocking) ... Please help me! :D I wanna reach 4.1 so badly!

THANKS!

verdex9

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

Well, K chips in my country are about double the price as the non K chips, If I lived in the USA I would have bought a K chip, but I don't, and if I CAN Overclock and it works fine with low temps, then why not? ^^

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2438206

This is my last achievement, finally reached 4.0GHz by modifying the FSB to 102.6 ... Do you guys think I will be ok with that little FSB change? Is it safe? Because I was told that changing the FSB to 103 maximum won't do any damage, but over that might bring problems...

Please answer me and stop with the "Get a K chip" or "You can't Overclock that chip" comments, they don't contribute at all ^^