qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
AMD says that as long as you don't use the computer than the new X2 65nm is the way to go. Talk, talk, coming from these guys but yet no benchmarks. Let us see the numbers. I really don't care that my computer uses 14W instead of 4W when not doing anything...as a matter of fact my computer uses .5W because it goes into "standby" mode. So basically what amd is saying is that as long as you don't use the processor then the amd 65nm chip is the way to go...talk about spinning.

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2006Dec/bch20061205000073.htm

mpjesse

Splendid
Ummm... what exactly were you expecting? Everyone knows 65nm isn't going to improve performance. And as far as power consumption goes, you're right; not many really care.

And where have you seen AMD saying "65nm is the way to go"? Once again, everyone around here forgets there's a BUSINESS reason for shrinking dies, not just a performance one. The smaller the dies, the less silicon that's wasted, and the more chips you can produce. That's what this die shrink is about (for the time being).

The good thing is that once AMD rolls out the new Athlon's next year they'll be primed for 65nm.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
:) :) Hilarious, AMD can beat Intel on power if you don't use your computer :) :) ..... Well, I have a better one.... I turn it off and use 0 watts :)

You see, everyone keeps keying on the negative aspects of the new AMDs. I look on the bright side: Once armed with his new energy hog, Baron Matrix wil no longer be able to post in order to take advantage of the idle power savings. He'll only be able to turn it on and watch it idle :D

mpjesse

Splendid
dudes... all the smiley faces and avataars are fucking up my high. shit... my toolbar is starting to slide off the screen. uh oh... the text is getting might waaaaaaaavy. and those stupid smiley faces on the left are driving me nuts. everything is in 3d. so much for aero... don't need that shit when im high... wooo..

mpjesse

Splendid
i'm getting the urge to eat your avatar. i just want to cut it out of my screen and eat it. mabe i;ll use an exacto knife. is it murder if i eat an animated person? i hope not. think i'll go get my knife now....

mpjesse

Splendid
good night dear friend. i head for my pillow now. perhaps i will ahve a dream that involves a battle. that would be most fun. i want to be a grunt on the ground tearin' up the hadjis.

goooooooooooooooooooood night.

p.s., i'll deal with your avatar another time. muahaha

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
In all honesty, I don't really see why anyone expected AMD to release much higher clocking 65hm parts right away. Just look at the history of the process revisions. They start off slow, and refine the process over a period of time. While I would like them to be faster immiediatly, they never have been before, why would they be now. Jack, I am sure you could explain the difference between Intel's and AMD's process.... and I have seen it discussed here before. Something to the effect of copy exact.... yada yada yada. I would expect later versions of the process to be more refined and running at a higher clock than the current 90nm, since that is exactly how 90nm transpired.

wes

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Considering my PC has been idle for 60.75 CPU hours (excluding stand by time), and busy for about 42 CPU hours (excluding any processes that have terminated or restarted since) with a time since Windows loaded of:

2 days(s)
21 hour(s)
57 minutes(s)
53 seconds(s)

With 2 CPU cores the above is about 140 hours of CPU time potential:
So I've spent my computer time as is:
30.00% - Busy (Both CPU cores at load, or 2 hours with 1 at load),
43.49% - Idle to light loads
26.51% - Stand-by
Then reducing power consumption during the idle periods would be of benefit.

Even with consolidation of virtual machines some servers will spend hours being idle every day, thousands (or more) hours idle a year.

It adds up to millions, or billions of dollars (AU$) world wide.

Consider cars, they use fuel when idle, you wouldn't want your PC using a similar amount of energy while doing nothing would you ?

8) - Tabris:DarkPeace

Julian33

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Although it does seem like AMD are clutching at straws, in this particular instance I do think they have a bit of a point, in certain situations.

Imagine your a business, or a public service like a library or something. There's a good chance that some of the machines will spend a significant proportion of their time stuck on the Windows logon screen, unless the place is permanantly packed. Even when logged in, if the computers are only being used for something like net browsing then that isn't really going to stretch the CPU, so the machine will be close to idling. In these situations, a business might want to choose the CPU with lower idle power because it will save them on their electricity bill.

I understand that 4x4 was a total flop, and yes this isn't even a strong argument, but it does seem to be turning now into a case where AMD can do no right. It is the case that there are certain situations when very low idle power would be an advantage to certain people - just not to us enthusiasts, who frequently use our CPU's full capacity, or your average home user who couldn't give a damn how much power their system consumes, at idle or load!

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
In a Government workplace, with 25,000 PCs spanning all over the country most of which are "CPU idle" over 95% I can see it helping them in future tenders, etc.

However without something to combat Intel vPro, yes, from a Government purchase perspective AMD are ****ed

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
good night dear friend. i head for my pillow now. perhaps i will ahve a dream that involves a battle. that would be most fun. i want to be a grunt on the ground tearin' up the hadjis.

goooooooooooooooooooood night.

p.s., i'll deal with your avatar another time. muahaha

Take care -0- good night, Mr. Sandman is calling me too...
Totally OT:
Jack, are you by any chance a fan of Sandman from Neil Gaiman? :p

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Then reducing power consumption during the idle periods would be of benefit.

Since my system is only idle in the three nanoseconds of ethereal unconsciousness during the Restart Blip, and is downloading 24/7 (fully legal and paid content of course :twisted: ) I doubt that there are more than a few seconds a day when my CPU is fully idle. As for the savings that could be garnered by using AMD's new Bullsh!tSpinJoke, one good cycle of drying my jeans in my dryer will equal that a full year of those "savings". 8)

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Does someone have some anger issues?

Wow. Very perceptive that you picked that up. Usually when I start hearing the voices telling me to KILL KILL KILL I'm able to pick up some ho at a bar, put her through a grinder and sell the bits to the local McDonalds. Right now it's too early and the bars aren't open so I thought I would find the orgasmic satisfaction I crave on this forum. :twisted:

Now on the cereal side, I'm not angry at all. IMHO, I'm just amazed that AMD is confabulating their surprise early Brisbane launch with nonsense that nobody in their right minds gives a good damn about. As for their launch I'm still of the opinion that...

Oh, it's only a paper moon...

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Love the creative thinking side man. Totally wicked :twisted:

I'm real surprised myself about this "launch". Basically no average Joe would give a rats a$$ about power consumption. All that I can see as a positive is the saving of silicon with the smaller process.

Lets all hope AMD doesn't run themselves into the ground before K8L.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Thanks for the props, dude. 8)

As for K8L, I think I'm getting all my cities messed up. Geography was never my forte. Are the 65nm chips that AMD is rushing out now the Barcelona or the Brisbane? I've also heard Shanghai floating around. I think I need to get some more frequent flyer miles! :D

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Fire up TaskMgr.exe, or hit [Ctrl+Alt+Del] (may need to click something after that, but for me it is just Ctrl+Alt+Del - Fast User switching is off on my PC 8) )

View, Select Columns, CPU Time [alt+e]

Then sort decending by CPU Time, ala:

CPU_Time_Idle_Time_example.PNG

You might be surprised how often that CPU is sitting there doing almost nothing.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
With everything else shut down, including screensaver, the LimeWire is sucking up about 3% and Azureus around 2%. That is pretty low, but still off idle. However, I fully acknowledge that there could be savings for some users. I know that there are a lot of people who just keep the PC on when they're vacuuming the house or strapping their chick to the chandelier. :twisted:

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I think it's Brisbane, Barcelona is the server equivalent of K8L if I'm not mistaken.

I did some googling and came up with this.

AMD Athlon X4 (Barcelona) is expected to be released in Q2. Barcelona is AMD's first quad core CPU based on a the 65nm process. Barcelona additionally introduces the Revision H core for quad processors.

AMD Athlon X2 (Brisbane) is expected to be released in H1. Brisbane is the 65nm successor to Windsor and introduces the K8 Revision G core. Brisbane features either 2x1MB L2 cache or 2x512KB L2 cache and the Brisbane core will effectively replace all Athlon X2 and Opteron Dual Core Revision E and Revision F processors with a single architecture.

So it's Brisbane that's out now (on paper anyway), right?

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Yeah, but with a TDP of 65W, which for AMD is the maximum power, they should be consuming significantly less even at full load.
And AMD's 90nm EE CPUs were very competitive with C2D in terms of power consumption, according to an article from Tom's HW of a while ago.