Stock heatsink, or add a fan (or full new cooler)

I am building a new PC
ASUS P8Z77-V and an i5 3570K IvyBridge

Read in some places that the stock Intel heatsink is not very good, and that IvyBridge CPU's tend to run hot ..should I consider changing it for a fan based cooler or even adding a fan if that is an option – I'm assuming there is no fan as standard

Or as I am not overclocking .. should I ignore disparaging comments and stick with stock cooler.
7 answers Last reply
More about stock heatsink full cooler
  1. It's fine if you don't OC. It'll run warmer than it will with an aftermarket cooler of course, but within the limits.
  2. sargan said:
    I am building a new PC
    ASUS P8Z77-V and an i5 3570K IvyBridge

Read in some places that the stock Intel heatsink is not very good, and that IvyBridge CPU's tend to run hot ..should I consider changing it for a fan based cooler or even adding a fan if that is an option – I'm assuming there is no fan as standard

Or as I am not overclocking .. should I ignore disparaging comments and stick with stock cooler.

Both AMD and Intel design their stock heatsink to dissipate the heat of normal everyday operations. The main time people run into heat problem is when they try to overclock their CPU with the stock heatsink. Stock heatsinks can't dissipate the extra heat caused by overclocking that's why people get aftermarket cooler like the Hyper 212.
  3. If your case is well ventilated and you don't O/C, you will be fine with that CPU and the stock cooler. My last build used a i5-3450, and with its stock cooler it gives me high 20s idle and high 50s w/Prime95. I have an intake, exhaust and top fan.
  4. is there a way to monitor chip temp so I can keep an eye on it ?
  5. yes just download hw monitor from here install it and just run it to check your temps-
    http://hwmonitor.en.softonic.com/
  6. Thnx .. I'll do that. monitor temp, and if all runs OK .. no need to buy a fan cooler.
  7. If you want to monitor the temp of each core, try Core Temp; http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ But don't click on the big headline download. Click on 'more downloads' and select the 'stand alone' version, if you want to avoid the tool bar that automatically installs.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling Heatsinks Fan