Phenom 945 bottlenecking New GTX 480

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Hey guys, I just recently bought an Open box GTX 480...$140 and it was BRAND NEW yay me. Now In wow I have encountered my CPU is heavily bottlenecking my gpu in WOW. I just ordered a new Heatsink...Will i be able to over clock my CPU to get the full potential of my GTX 480 cause I know the thing is a monster.. Or am I better off buying a FX-4120 for cheap? Thanks!

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
..well wow is a CPU intensive game... and when I over clocked it just a little my improvements were ALOT. Going from my GTS 250 to GTX 480 I saw no improvements.

...also I wouldn't consider a 480 mid range when it competes with 570s, and 7970s. Its a top card despite its aging. (just uses a lot of power)

the gtx 480 DEFINITELY does not compare to a 7970

G

indeed it does . .well not in frame rates but for the money . .
perfdollar.gif

:lol:

G

not off by too much with an OC.
GF100-WoW-1680.png

i must say i am very surprised at your problem. are your setting high enough that the 480 isn't downclocking?

Goden

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Lack of computer software maintenance or something? I don't know.

One thing I do know though, is that that CPU should not and will not bottleneck that GPU to that extent.

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong
and no an fx cpu of any kind wont solve anything, just make it worse. just overclock the 945 or get an intel cpu.

Hi :)

Ummm WHICH part is wrong ??

An old 480 graphics card is mid range by anyones standards (and thats being generous)

The quad is NOT bottlenecking....

So which part is wrong ??

All the best Brett :)