My computer is constantly studdering

Flamefist7

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Hi everyone i'm new to this forum but my computer is making me take some time to find some real help for it. About a few months ago, My computer started getting a really bad habit of making everything on my computer have a 1 sec delay. I would move my mouse and it would freeze for 1 sec and then proceed to move the mouse and i would try to move it towards my target destination but not before it would lag again. I've notice that it gets especially bad when i load up a game(League of legends especially). i'm not sure what to do at this point seeing as i have tried mainly everything.( scanning my computer, scanning registry, uninstalling league of legends). If anyone could help with this situation i would appreciate it as i'm getting worried.

My Specs.

Windows 7 64 bit
Evga Gtx 570
Intel i7-2600k
MSI P67A-C43
Rosewill 650W PSU

I would like to know more about your components, the PSU model line, the case maker/model, the hard drive maker/model, how old this computer is, and stuff like that.

Also, how often do you install and uninstall things?

What anti-virus are you using?

If you have an anti-spyware program installed in addition, what is it?

Flamefist7

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
OK here are the specifics
Rosewill RV2-700 700W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply
NZXT Phantom 410 CA-PH410-B1
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
The computer is about 9-10 monthes old

I don't uninstall thing very often but i recently have a very annoying pc enhancer (tuneup utilities) that gave me a bit of trouble so i had to uninstall it but these problems were here even before that.

I am currently using ESET Antivirus Protection and Malwarebytes (installed recently in order to see if it would fix the problem)

If there is anymore information you need plz just tell me and i will provide it. getting this computer to work is my goal in all this.

Were all these parts bought new when you got the computer? Or did you take something from a previous computer and bring it forwards to the new PC?

Do you have another computer accessible to you with parts somewhat similar to those? From your own house, a relative, or a family member?

Do you have a Windows CD?

Try downloading Microsoft Security Esentials and installing that instead of the ESET Anti Virus and see if that changes anything.

Also, pop open the case and see if there appears to be a lot of it in there. If so, try to blow it out with some dust buster or something.

Also, do a defrag and scan disk while you are at it. You do both of them by right clicking on C and going to properties in the tools tab.

- Edit - What is the % of free space on the drive with Windows on it?

Flamefist7

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
The part were brand new when i put the pc together so i don't really have anyway of testing individual parts. I still have the windows 7 cd if i need to reformat my hard drive (moved all my important stuff to another HDD).

I had just used a can of compressed air in the case not to long ago so that should be taken care of.
I will have to do the scan now since it normally takes 9 hours to complete.

i have 148 Gb out of 1.36 Tb left on the hard drive and i will have to defrag it later so it doesn't intrude with the other programs

Flamefist7

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

Yes the Hard drive was brnad new although i did try preforming a driver update to no avail but, perhaps i should check out the website itself

Ok i took your advice and went to the website. downloaded the firmware update and it went through the whole process but it said no match found couldn't download firmware. so i'm guess that the hard drive is at the highest frimware it can be at right now

Do I understand it right that 90% of the hard drive is full right now?

You may want to try and delete some stuff if you can. Hard drives have been known to suffer in performance when they are very nearly full.

Also, definitely do the defrag thing.

Flamefist7

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

Thanks for the help I'lll delete some clutter and defrag and see if it helps

Flamefist7

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
ok well i cleaned some of the clutter on the hard drive now i have 500+Gb of space and i didn't have to defragment because apparently my computer was defragmenting on a weekly basis. now im gonna test and see if that fixed anything

Flamefist7

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

Under Heavy loads the highest it's been is 4gbs of ram. im using 8 gbs and i will also defragment the disc myself since it makes sense. thanks and i will get back to you guys after. thanks for your time

Flamefist7

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Ok guys here's an update. I deleted some space from my hard drive and defragmented it and the problem seems to have disappeared. Thanks all the people who help me fix this thing but i'm still kinda worried it will just go back to the way it was so i will be keeping in touch. Bye for now.

If you fill the hard drive up again, it will probably have the same problems again.

Definitely make sure to keep 10 - 15% of the entire drive space free for the best operating results.

Also, Windows is very good at using the thing called a Page File. This is "virtual" RAM. It is space on the hard drive that holds stuff that would normally be in RAM.

If Windows looks at the contents of RAM and notices that you havent used some data in a long time, it moves it onto the hard drive instead of keeping it in RAM. That keeps a lot of RAM free for new programs you want to start using and keeps all the data you have used most recently ready so you can keep using it.

The default setting for how much space the page file can use is... unlimited. So as long as there is hard drive space Windows can move something into the page file to free up RAM.

Thus, it doesn't really surprise me to see that Windows keeps you at about half free.

If you had only 4 GB in total, it might try to keep you at 2GBs, which could be more problematic. Programs can use (by default) up to 2GBs, so that could be just enough for one program and none for the OS or anything else.

In cases like that, you could end up in a situation called Thrashing which basically means that the computer spends more time moving things between the RAM and the page file (back and forth, back and forth) that it spends most all the time moving data and very little time actually processing data.

That is very bad for performance.

For most people, 8 GBs in total is ideal to avoid these sorts of problems.

I will keep a look out for responses to this thread, in case you still need support in this regard, but I think you should be fine from here.