Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Asus GTX 560 Direct CU Poor Performance

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Performance
  • Asus
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 23, 2012 8:06:50 AM

Dear friends, My Spec is

Intel Pentium D 3.0 GHz, 833 MHz
Asus GTX 560 1GB Direct CU GPU
Intel 965 Mobo support for DualCore\Quad\Core2Duo, 833 MHz
2GB DDR2 RAM, 667 MHz
500GB SATA HDD
Cooler Master 550W Gx series with 80P (44A on +12V)
Windows XP SP3
Dell 24'inch HD Monitor

My problem is, My gaming performance is terrible and looks like a poor upgrade over my XFX 256MB 8600GT. Just 2 days earlier I bought Asus Direct CU GTX 560 which I've gone through many reviews and benchmark, is a great GPU card upgrade for 8600GT. I usually play games much like train Simulation and sandbox style games like GTA4, Just Cause, etc, and also some racing.

GTA4 :
With 8600GT, GTA4 I only played at 1024x768 res and all other details to almost zero and got about average 18 FPS,
With GTX 560, all settings set to low, I get around average 26 FPS only. Enabling all settings to high such as 1080p res, shadows, etc to all max, I get very poor say 12 FPS with more frequent lags\jerks

Crysis Warhead
Here with all settings to High and res at full HD, I get about 30FPS average. The graphics looks superb, but I encounter frequent lags when I move sudden left\right or other screen loads. Another doubt is why very high settings disabled?.

Railworks3-Train Simulator
I'm very fond on this game, but now kind of upset. With all settings set to low I'm getting only 20FPS, and with all settings high, getting 13 ~14 FPS.

Whats going on and whats wrong here?. In all the cases the graphics looks splendid, but losing more FPS. Now my fear is with this performance, how can I play games like GTA5 if released sometime year?.

No HDD fragmentation. Antivirus, other unnecessary programs all removed. Updated Nvidia Drivers.

Is my CPU all the reason?. Or did I just pick the wrong card?. Is GTX 560 not a high end or good card?. I saw in Nvidia news, stating 3x performance boost than 8800GT for this card, and is the best upgrade card from 8000x series, where as what I can see is nothing more than 1x performance.

PSU can't be the problem, since the minimum recommended PSU is 450W, but I am high above the border.


Please guys, tell me what should I do?. And if CPU needs upgrade, then is something like Intel i3 2100(3.1Ghz) or i5 2300 etc....CPU must be affordable.

I should also upgrade Mobo, RAM :sarcastic:  then

If CPU is the trouble-maker, why wouldn't even more than 2x performance boost I couldn't see with all settings set to almost low?. How can I prove my GPU card is doing it's best. Any benchmark tool?, at least a free one just for making sure my GPU is not the problem without CPU bottle necking (like overheat\low power\improper drivers)?.

More about : asus gtx 560 direct poor performance

January 23, 2012 8:11:43 AM

One more: Will upgrading to Windows 7 help overcome this situation?.
Score
0
January 23, 2012 8:32:53 AM

xtcx said:
Dear friends, My Spec is

Intel Pentium D 3.0 GHz, 833 MHz
Asus GTX 560 1GB Direct CU GPU
Intel 965 Mobo support for DualCore\Quad\Core2Duo, 833 MHz
2GB DDR2 RAM, 667 MHz
500GB SATA HDD
Cooler Master 550W Gx series with 80P (44A on +12V)
Windows XP SP3
Dell 24'inch HD Monitor

My problem is, My gaming performance is terrible and looks like a poor upgrade over my XFX 256MB 8600GT. Just 2 days earlier I bought Asus Direct CU GTX 560 which I've gone through many reviews and benchmark, is a great GPU card upgrade for 8600GT. I usually play games much like train Simulation and sandbox style games like GTA4, Just Cause, etc, and also some racing.

GTA4 :
With 8600GT, GTA4 I only played at 1024x768 res and all other details to almost zero and got about average 18 FPS,
With GTX 560, all settings set to low, I get around average 26 FPS only. Enabling all settings to high such as 1080p res, shadows, etc to all max, I get very poor say 12 FPS with more frequent lags\jerks

Crysis Warhead
Here with all settings to High and res at full HD, I get about 30FPS average. The graphics looks superb, but I encounter frequent lags when I move sudden left\right or other screen loads. Another doubt is why very high settings disabled?.

Railworks3-Train Simulator
I'm very fond on this game, but now kind of upset. With all settings set to low I'm getting only 20FPS, and with all settings high, getting 13 ~14 FPS.

Whats going on and whats wrong here?. In all the cases the graphics looks splendid, but losing more FPS. Now my fear is with this performance, how can I play games like GTA5 if released sometime year?.

No HDD fragmentation. Antivirus, other unnecessary programs all removed. Updated Nvidia Drivers.

Is my CPU all the reason?. Or did I just pick the wrong card?. Is GTX 560 not a high end or good card?. I saw in Nvidia news, stating 3x performance boost than 8800GT for this card, and is the best upgrade card from 8000x series, where as what I can see is nothing more than 1x performance.

PSU can't be the problem, since the minimum recommended PSU is 450W, but I am high above the border.


Please guys, tell me what should I do?. And if CPU needs upgrade, then is something like Intel i3 2100(3.1Ghz) or i5 2300 etc....CPU must be affordable.

I should also upgrade Mobo, RAM :sarcastic:  then

If CPU is the trouble-maker, why wouldn't even more than 2x performance boost I couldn't see with all settings set to almost low?. How can I prove my GPU card is doing it's best. Any benchmark tool?, at least a free one just for making sure my GPU is not the problem without CPU bottle necking (like overheat\low power\improper drivers)?.

That's the source of the problem. Your processor is being a major bottleneck. I also have to say the PSU is not a very good one as it produces high ripple when stressed, damaging components over time. It's time for a new platform.
Score
0
Related resources
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 23, 2012 8:56:02 AM

xtcx said:


GTA4 :
With 8600GT, GTA4 I only played at 1024x768 res and all other details to almost zero and got about average 18 FPS,
With GTX 560, all settings set to low, I get around average 26 FPS only. Enabling all settings to high such as 1080p res, shadows, etc to all max, I get very poor say 12 FPS with more frequent lags\jerks

Crysis Warhead
Here with all settings to High and res at full HD, I get about 30FPS average. The graphics looks superb, but I encounter frequent lags when I move sudden left\right or other screen loads. Another doubt is why very high settings disabled?.

Signs of a proper CPU bottleneck, this is what you get when you try to mate a GPU to a CPU that is not powerful enough to handle it. This is the real deal not the 'fantasy' bottleneck that the newbs are always bleating about.
Score
0
January 23, 2012 9:04:43 AM

sooyong94 said:
I also have to say the PSU is not a very good one as it produces high ripple when stressed, damaging components over time. It's time for a new platform.


well, I doubt if PSU really matters. It is 80P certified unlike Cooler Master Extreme series. Not First class, but definitely enough I feel for 450w requirement card. I wont SLi now or never.

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/cooler_master_gx_5...

Well, in this case, I only have 1HDD and 1DVD drive. No other loads connected. No additional fan such as chassis fan, etc other than CPU fan. Just recently before a week I replaced my old unbranded PSU with this new PSU, so no returning back :sol:  Live with this. Any other points?
Score
0
January 23, 2012 9:06:36 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Signs of a proper CPU bottleneck, this is what you get when you try to mate a GPU to a CPU that is not powerful enough to handle it. This is the real deal not the 'fantasy' bottleneck that the newbs are always bleating about.


Thanks dude, but how can we prove this?. I mean prove CPU is the bottle neck?. Any idea?. Any benchmark tools or tests which we can conduct?.

Also what is the roll of mobo in choosing new CPU, how important is it?, is it wise to spend less on mobo and spend more in CPU?.
Score
0
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 23, 2012 9:09:55 AM

xtcx said:
Thanks dude, but how can we prove this?. I mean prove CPU is the bottle neck?. Any idea?. Any benchmark tools or tests which we can conduct?.

Also what is the roll of mobo in choosing new CPU, how important is it?, is it wise to spend less on mobo and spend more in CPU?.

You could try OC'ing it but unfortunately it's so old by today's standards I don't think it'll make much of a difference.
Score
0
January 23, 2012 10:22:38 AM

Mousemonkey said:
You could try OC'ing it but unfortunately it's so old by today's standards I don't think it'll make much of a difference.


Well, I wouldn't think of OC CPU as i have no experience in it. As well as no special cooling is available in my PC.

Instead Can I use any benchmark tools?.
Score
0
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 23, 2012 10:32:53 AM

xtcx said:
Well, I wouldn't think of OC CPU as i have no experience in it. As well as no special cooling is available in my PC.

Instead Can I use any benchmark tools?.

I have yet to find a benchmark tool that can can spit out an easy to read result that states "you are being bottlenecked by (insert component), it just doesn't work that way mate. The only other way to tell what the problem component is would be by replacing things for more powerful parts.
Score
0
January 23, 2012 4:09:13 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I have yet to find a benchmark tool that can can spit out an easy to read result that states "you are being bottlenecked by (insert component), it just doesn't work that way mate. The only other way to tell what the problem component is would be by replacing things for more powerful parts.


Well, I understand but usually how GPUs are benchmarked, is by keeping all other variables like CPU\PSU\RAM at higher rate and statistics are prepared for different games. Similarly is there any statistics available such as using a high end GPU and benchmarking many CPUs and showing results in FPS ??? (Just exactly like the way they do for GPU benchmarks). :) 

This type of benchmark statistics will really help in deciding a proper CPU. Should any such links are know,please share me.

Thanks
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 23, 2012 4:16:19 PM

Hi,

you should get one of them:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It will help a lot but won't do miracle.

I've upgraded from a 250gt to a 550 gt on a core 2 duo e8400 and was getting worse performance than with on 550 than on 250.

I've changed my whole computer to a core I5 and now it's working flawless with most games on max.

I think it's better to spend 500 $ on a up to date system than to spend 250 on a system that will become useless in a few years.

Score
0
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 23, 2012 4:25:28 PM

dextermat said:
Hi,

you should get one of them:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It will help a lot but won't do miracle.

I've upgraded from a 250gt to a 550 gt on a core 2 duo e8400 and was getting worse performance than with on 550 than on 250.

I've changed my whole computer to a core I5 and now it's working flawless with most games on max.

I think it's better to spend 500 $ on a up to date system than to spend 250 on a system that will become useless in a few years.

I don't think either of those will work on the OP's motherboard.
Score
0
January 24, 2012 7:40:54 AM


Thanks, but I think I dont understand
dextermat said:

I've changed my whole computer to a core I5 and now it's working flawless with most games on max.

I think it's better to spend 500 $ on a up to date system than to spend 250 on a system that will become useless in a few years.


Do you mean first CPU&Mobo&RAM needs to be perfect before upgrading GPU?.
So if you say you a good performance hit with i5, then can you tell me a statistics?, I mean some FPS information of games which you played with GTX 550 using COre2Duo and then with new INtel i5?. It'd be helpful to see how much percent of boost you have achieved with CPU upgrade.

Also what CPU in i-series you used in this case?.

Thanks
Score
0
!