Asus 560gtx VERY SLOW!

OPD_Nexus

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Hi, I recently upgraded my ASus 8800GT Top 512mb to a new 560gtx DC 1gb DDR5. I have gone as far as to re-install the drivers that was supplied with the card but I am getting horrific speeds on my games, Skyrim, LA Noire and even war hammer 40K Space Marine runs very poorly!

My Specs are ..

500Watt PSU
4GB DDR 800MHZ
Core 2 Duo E6750
and then all the other basics like DVD rom.

Also I don't have an onboard Integrated GPU and I am running out of options....

What can I do other than having to re-install my software.. ?

Cheers Phil

OPD_Nexus

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
The latest NVidia offering: 285.62-desktop-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql

as well as the version that came with the card: nv27084_Vista64_Win7x64

PS I am running Win 7 Home premium 64bit

OPD_Nexus

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I am not OC'ing it in any way, Resolution is at 1680x1050. I will download the beta drivers of 290 and see what that does...

OPD_Nexus

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
LA Noire is like playing a slide show.... Lags really badly. This happens on both High and low settings. Skyrim runs ok... on High but most times especially under weather effects it goes into serious lag... and war hammer is ridiculous... What I am doing now is re-installing LA Noire and Skyrim to see if it does not have something to do with that...

OPD_Nexus

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
:( I really hope not. Lets try but first off I am a absolute noob when it comes to OC'ing.. might just kill my PC (very last resort ;))

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
A CPU or GPU overheating can also cause a major slow downs in games. Check the temperature of the CPU and ensure temp at load stays below 70C and the temp of GPU less than 85.... :sol:

OPD_Nexus

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

Let us try these beta drivers, downloading them now... However I just ran the heaven benchmark and scored 1066 with avg FPS of 43... and it ran beautifully. But lets give these drivers a go...

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011

yeah that too...but since this would have raised temps a fair bit too:

So i can't be sure if it's temps, though it's not a bad idea to check.

Well heaven is a synthetic bench...and drivers may work differently with synthetics...because they're usually tested thoroughly, among other reasons.

I can run heaven well too on my old 9600GT, but BF3's been crashing like nuts (though i suspect it's due to a lack of memory available, i'm running 4GB on a 32-bit system).

BF3 reminds me of patches. Try updating your games as well, though if they're on steam then they must be updated anyway...

Anyway, let us know what happens post-driver update. As mousemonkey uses the Beta drivers and finds them stable, i remain suspicious about this being a driver issue. This is what i read on newegg for a MSI-made GTX 560:

DRIVERS DRIVERS DRIVERS. From day one I noticed that the card seemed slower than my Hd 5770. At first I thought that maybe my cpu was bottle necking the card. Than a few days ago I am watching a video on youtube and switch tabs in firefox to check something then BOOM the video card driver fails. After five minutes on google I find that this is a very common problem for the 560 line of cards (with the 280.xx drivers) and Nvida refuses to fix it. I reverted to the old 275.xx drivers tried multiple other work arounds and fixes to no avail. Finally after it got to the point of Blue screening my system I gave up and RMA it.
This must have been pre-290.xx though.

what is your psu make and model?

sounds like a weak cpu to me, a lowly dual core is not going to keep pace very well with a gtx 560 imo

what is your cpu temp at load, are you using a stock cooler?

sorry if any of this info has already been stated/...

in regards to drivers the 290.53 beta works great for me

also make sure you are properly cleaning the previous installs of drivers as you upgrade, this mean safe mode and driversweeper...

OPD_Nexus

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Ok, I have tried everything you all suggested and I have now gone and re-installed my PC running the 290.xx beta drivers. All seems well. Oblivion runs very well now (getting temporary freezes when I switch weapons or go to the map...) and so does deus ex, this has no problems... Still need to get my internet working so I can try BF3 and see what the verdict is there.

Guess I will need to upgrade my CPU and RAM and possibly my PSU aswell, my PSU is a cheap no name 500w that came with the unbranded case, so its nothing special... but things will need to wait until I have the money ;)

Thanks for all the assistance.