Laptop crashing when gaming or watching videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

momotiki

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I have an Acer 4820TG with the 6550M card. Ever since I've had it, it occasionally crashes when gaming or doing other video card intensive things. My warranty is almost up, so I called Acer and they said they're willing to look at it to see if it is a hardware problem. I haven't mailed it yet since I don't really want to be computerless for 2 weeks.

So, what are the odds this is actually a hardware problem that they will find and fix? (probably by replacing the graphics card)

I've updated to the latest drivers, I've done a complete reinstall of windows and then updated to latest drivers, and still had occasional crashes. I've monitored temps and the card at full load (Starcraft 2) gets into the mid 70s, which seems well within spec, so I don't think it's a heat issue.

The crashes are really inconsistent too. Sometimes twice in a day, sometimes a week without a crash, but always from a game or watching internet video of some sort (most often streaming).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Solution
i've got the 4810TG and have simmilar problems. the problem is cooling. One thing you can check the airflow on the side of the laptop. if you feel little/no hot air coming from the fan when gaming you'll need a new fan.

if you do feel air from the side you should try a cooling pad (one of those things that blow cool air on the lower side of the laptop). One thing you should notice about these crashes is that the lower side is really hot. especially around the area where the video card is located. If you are outside the warrenty you could even try opening up your laptop to remove dust from your fans.

Note, don't just blow air/vacium dust from your laptop since you'll break your fans.

peltco

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
i've got the 4810TG and have simmilar problems. the problem is cooling. One thing you can check the airflow on the side of the laptop. if you feel little/no hot air coming from the fan when gaming you'll need a new fan.

if you do feel air from the side you should try a cooling pad (one of those things that blow cool air on the lower side of the laptop). One thing you should notice about these crashes is that the lower side is really hot. especially around the area where the video card is located. If you are outside the warrenty you could even try opening up your laptop to remove dust from your fans.

Note, don't just blow air/vacium dust from your laptop since you'll break your fans.

Solution
99% chance it is hardware. Most likely you have bad RAM, a failing GPU, or the system is overheating.
If you want to make sure it is not a hardware issue then make sure that all your graphics/mobo drivers are up to date.

Better to be out a computer for 2 weeks, but get it taken care of, than to wait for a more serious issue to develop in a few months and have to buy a whole new system.

Always back up your personal data before sending them the unit.

momotiki

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
So, I already have a laptop cooler, since I initially thought that heat was the problem. Alas, it is the top that feels hot, not the bottom, so I'm not sure how much it is doing other than improving all around circulation. Just had another crash today, so I'm sending it in tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.