Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Could you guys review a comp I am planning on putting together?

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 30, 2012 12:58:15 PM

Hello everyone, first time poster on the site and I was wondering if you could review a PC build I am planning on doing. Just a heads up I am not planning on over-clocking anything.
MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
CASE: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced
Video Card: 2x EVGA GeForce 550 GTX TI SLI'd
CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.3GHz Six Core
RAM: 16GBs G.Skill
PSU: Corsair Pro Series 750watt
Monitor: 2x ACER 20" LCD
HDD: 500GB Samsung by Seagate.

I'm trying to keep this under $1500. Keyboard and Mouse are from old computer and I have no clue the names.
March 30, 2012 2:44:06 PM

An i5 would give you better performance than the FX. The most RAM you would probably need is 8GB but 16GB will future proof you for a long time, what speed are you getting it at? If your using this computer to game then definitely get a bigger single monitor but if you're using it more for office work then dual 20" will get you by.
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 4:04:33 PM

Well the thing with Intel is that it's expensive and I'm not looking to OC, and yes I took your advice and changed one of the monitors to a 23" I don't plan on doing any big FPS gaming, this is more for MMOs like SWTOR and WoW, but I also want to browse the web hence the second monitor.
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 4:58:13 PM

Just look on Tom's main page under Articles and choose the price of a build. There are benchmarks in these which might help you out with your decisions. There are many other articles on CPU's, video cards etc. if you use a query of what you're looking for.
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 5:10:38 PM

CClose94 said:
Well the thing with Intel is that it's expensive and I'm not looking to OC, and yes I took your advice and changed one of the monitors to a 23" I don't plan on doing any big FPS gaming, this is more for MMOs like SWTOR and WoW, but I also want to browse the web hence the second monitor.

Even the i5-2400 will outperform that AMD CPU. You are spending $1500 so that point is moot anyway.
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 5:20:02 PM

Stick with the AMD CPU, People who seem to be giving bad oppinions about it are the people who have not purchased it and experience it for themselfs.
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 5:22:27 PM

If you are getting an AMD FX 6 Core CPU then get the latest one which is the FX 6200.
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 5:32:42 PM

azeem40 said:
Even the i5-2400 will outperform that AMD CPU. You are spending $1500 so that point is moot anyway.


Well, that's just it. I don't want a $1500 build turn into a $2500 build. I have this $1500 set aside specifically for a computer.
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 5:37:48 PM

My new build is based on FX 8150. To be honest it kicks the heck out of a i5 CPU in modern games. I believe the 6 core is supposed to be a reasonable CPU especially the newer one of the too which is the FX 6200.
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 5:41:07 PM

Why the SLI'ed 550s? Do you have one already? If not, then go for a GTX 570. Always avoid multi-vga setups when you can. Besides, a GTX 570 is faster.
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 5:45:40 PM

CClose94 said:
Well, that's just it. I don't want a $1500 build turn into a $2500 build. I have this $1500 set aside specifically for a computer.

Your logic doesn't work. How will adding a CPU that is only a bit more going to turn the build into $2500. The fact is that even the i3-2100, which is CHEAPER than your CPU will OUTPERFORM it.
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 6:13:45 PM

Murissokah said:
Why the SLI'ed 550s? Do you have one already? If not, then go for a GTX 570. Always avoid multi-vga setups when you can. Besides, a GTX 570 is faster.


Yeah that's a bad choice - it's the same setup I have but I'll be replacing it with a Radeon 7870. You always want to get the single strongest GPU you can get as opposed to two weaker ones.
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 6:37:53 PM

Sweet Build do you have. Just to say, change 2x550 Ti for a single better card (for a reasonable price) Like 7870 or 570. You will get better performance, better tecnology, consumption whit that 7870 if you can catch it.
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 6:38:45 PM

Murissokah said:
Why the SLI'ed 550s? Do you have one already? If not, then go for a GTX 570. Always avoid multi-vga setups when you can. Besides, a GTX 570 is faster.

+1

You do want this PC for gaming, right? I'd advise an i5-2400 for $190, an HD 7870 or GTX 570/580 for about $300-400, and one 23-24" monitor for about $175. Would bring your build to about $1200 with room for another monitor if you want two.

That FX-6100 will hold you back in games, especially if you're thinking two GPUs or (more preferably) one powerful card. Also two weaker video cards are always much more hassle than one powerful card, and may cause micro-stuttering. Take G-unit's word for it - he has those cards in his rig.
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 6:49:11 PM

electricfirebolt said:
Stick with the AMD CPU, People who seem to be giving bad oppinions about it are the people who have not purchased it and experience it for themselfs.

Nobody is saying that the AMD will not work, just that the intel will give more performance/dollar at the moment even on the low end CPUs. I know that I am a bit of an Intel snob for my own rigs, but I have never been shy about suggesting AMD when it would better fit a build (like servers and heavy production PCs right now would be better off with bulldozer over Sandy Bridge for example), but for gaming and office work, on a rig that does not need to OC then there is little need for more than 4 cores, and you get more !/$ on Intel for this type of work at the moment, and the mobos tend to be similarly priced per feature set these days.



@ OP
16GB is a lot of ram, even by today's standards. I do video editing on the side, and while I have used more than 8GB on some projects I have never used more than 5-6GB of ram when multitasking/gaming. Typically I run 1.5GB idle, and ~3-4GB when gaming or multi tasking, so I would get 8GB (2x4GB) now, and then pick up more later if you find that you need it... unless you are doing some crazy production work, in which case keep the 16GB. Most large (more than 45 min) video projects use between 8-12GB of ram, and I have only had one monster project that simply ate all the available memory, and almost filled virtual memory, but that is entirely my fault for over-shooting the raw footage (lol 4 hours of footage for a 3 minute music video, but it was a fun project).

Everything else looks pretty good, even the AMD chip if AMD is what you are use to working with. If you don't have a particular preference of AMD or Intel I would suggest the i5 2400 or 2300 processor as it will run circles around the AMD you picked for most applications and games, and costs less than your AMD CPU at microcenter. But if buying from newegg.com then the $150 i3 2130 will be faster with most games and office software, but it will be slower with video editing and other heavily threaded applications, so it will win some and loose some (but likely more wins than losses) and it is up to you to get what would best fit your usage.
To illustrate this here is a comparison of the i3 2100 (slower than the i3 I am suggesting) vs the AMD 8150 (which is the flagship if I am not mistaken and faster than the AMD chip you selected)
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=434
The little i3 meets or beats the 8 core monster on most games and office type work, and then falls behind when it comes to 3D rendering projects and other heavily threaded applications. I know is isn't a direct comparison, but it at least gives you a feel for what to expect, and really shows something is wrong when a tiny duel core can keep up with an 8 core CPU. And do we need to mention the heat/power difference between the 2?
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 7:43:22 PM

Quote:
Nobody is saying that the AMD will not work, just that the intel will give more performance/dollar at the moment even on the low end CPUs. I know that I am a bit of an Intel snob for my own rigs, but I have never been shy about suggesting AMD when it would better fit a build (like servers and heavy production PCs right now would be better off with bulldozer over Sandy Bridge for example), but for gaming and office work, on a rig that does not need to OC then there is little need for more than 4 cores, and you get more !/$ on Intel for this type of work at the moment, and the mobos tend to be similarly priced per feature set these days.


You might want to read this before making that claim again: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-7-hotfix-bu...
m
0
l
March 31, 2012 3:18:25 AM

MoBo: Intel ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
CPU: I5-2500k
Video Card: XFX Double D AMD Radeon HD 6970
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GBs (2x4GBs)
HDD. Seagate 7200 RPM 500GBs
PSU: Corsair Pro Series 650watt
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Fulltower

I took a lot into consideration and the benchmark site blew my mind which is why this is what I am leaning towards in teems of my new PC.
m
0
l
March 31, 2012 4:33:22 AM

CClose94 said:
MoBo: Intel ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
CPU: I5-2500k
Video Card: XFX Double D AMD Radeon HD 6970
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GBs (2x4GBs)
HDD. Seagate 7200 RPM 500GBs
PSU: Corsair Pro Series 650watt
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Fulltower

I took a lot into consideration and the benchmark site blew my mind which is why this is what I am leaning towards in teems of my new PC.


If you're considering a 6970 - you might want to take a look at the new 7850 and 7870: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...
m
0
l
March 31, 2012 4:56:32 AM

I would not consider the 7850 with the 6970. It is between the 6950 and 6970s performance, not above the 6970s.
m
0
l
!