Problems running in eyefinity

bonanzza

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Dear forum users!

about 2 months ago I bought a new Desktop, to be up to date with the gaming industry.
This is my new updated gaming rig:

2 x Radeon HD6970 (XFX) - GPU
P8P67 B3 - Motherboard
Intel Core i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz - CPU
2 x 4GB Vengeance - RAM
Corsair TX850W - Power supply
Scythe Mugen 3 - CPU Cooler
2000GB 64MB SATA600 7200rpm - HDD
120GB Solid State Drive
Phantom NZXT - Case

And 3 x ProLite E2473HDS iiyama monitors

so as you can see I am running in eyefinity.

Now, the problem is (atleast imo) I can't run battlefield properly with full res en lowest settings without lagging, if I go higher I still get decent FPS but I get micro stuttering, E.G on high I get an average of 40 FPS, but I lag like hell.. So I don't know if you guys think my cards just can't handle it?

and then 1 more thing, when I set a preferable screen in CCC there will always be small lines in my screen, for example if I take my middle screen as prefered screen, my 2 outer screens will have 2 small lines in the middle, while gaming or while on desktop.. I have been reading the forums, people say that its just the 6XXX series, is this correct?

Thanks in advance!

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67/#specifications

Says your motherboards second PCI-E slot runs at 4x..... so you aren't running at 8x-8x.... your running at 16x-4x... That is probably killing your crossfire speeds.

Crossfire is very problematic with micro stuttering... Some people get it, others don't... crossfire is not 100% perfect(yet). I don't think it is limited to ONLY 6xxx series...

You should be able to get pretty decent frame rates using 1 6970.... Can you test how well that runs with 1 card...? Eyefinity takes a pretty hefty toll on cards, so don't expect 1080p 60 FPS(at least not on one card) - although 2 cards should run really well. What is your resolution?

bonanzza

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
At the moment I don't have my desktop here, since it's at the store for maintenance, I had some real troubles with it lately.

but if I am not mistaking 5870x1080.

What motherboard do you suggest then?:)

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I'm not the greatest "shopper".... :) I can suggest some, but you would be better off starting a new thread with your PC specs, what you want to do and how much you are willing to spend..... and ask some of the other guys to give you some suggestions.

Just trying to be honest and get you the best answer...

bonanzza

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Thank you very much already :D

maybe just 1 more thing, I mentioned 2 lines in the screens, any idea what that is?

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Horizontal? Only on the "outer" monitors? what if you change the default "middle" monitor in CCC(don't physicaly move the monitors).... does it move the lines to the other monitors? Always in the same spot?

How are you running eyefinity with those monitors? They don't have a Native DP connection... you would need an Active DP adapter.... Are you using one?

bonanzza

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
yep, horizontal, and depends on what my prefered screen is I set in, in CCC.
and yes I am using a passive DP Adapter, do you think an active will solve it?

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Also, it looks like your monitors have something called 'Overdrive'...? Go into your monitors menu settings and mess around with that.... maybe do a "Default" and see if your lines go away. See if the lines show up when you only use 1 GPU...? (When you get your PC back)

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Active is OF COURSE preferred, but your lines are occurring on other connections other than you DP Adapter connection right?

Does it only happen when you choose the DP adapter monitor as your MAIN screen? If so, then I would say it the adapter.... otherwise I doubt your adapter has anything to do with it....

What if you run only Dual monitor... any lines... contact back when you get your PC back maybe we can go further.

bonanzza

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
screen connections from left to right:

DVI - DP - DVI

So when I say I prefer my middle screen as a main screen, the 2 outer screens give me the 2 lines
when for instant I use the right screen, its only in the middle, so that the 2 outer screens don't have a problem.

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

The 6970 can only physically power up to 2 monitors. AMD states you need an active adapter for number 3. I tried 3 monitors with a passive dongle and it was hit or miss as to whether or not the third monitor would even power up so i bought an active dongle from newegg for about $30. BF3 is a resource pig! With my 6990 in ultra at 5760x1080 I get about 40FPS with 4xMSAA and it has noticable lag. Try turning off AA. It will give you the biggest performance increase. I find that below 45FPS bf3 starts to show undesirable effects. I play with trifire 6990+6970(currently bf3 does not like my second 6970 so I have to disable it for this game only) and with AA off I get an average of about 77FPS and 60FPS with 4xmsaa. I would say that your framerates are what you should expect to see but it should not be micro stuttering. Are you using the version 11.12 drivers?

bonanzza

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I will come back on what driver I am running, since I don't have my pc here!

could you give me a link of the Active adapter? :)
Thanks alot!

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
BTW, if there is a problem with the 6xxx series then It must be user dependant. Other than bf3 not liking my second 6970, my game runs smooth with no stuttering of any kind of artifacts.

bonanzza

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I also got to mention for connecting my MDP

from screen to pc:

DVI Out - DVI In - DP Out - DP In - MDP Out

so there is a cable between it.. can that cause any problems?

bonanzza

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
maybe good to mention to I have the Sapphire cards.. someone on newegg said that you don't need it for the sapphire versions?

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I used the Sapphire adapter for $26 on Newegg and it worked fine. Make sure you get the right one... i.e. Mini-DP or regular DP... not sure what your card has for output.

Definitely sounds like your passive DP adapter is having problems.... Get an active one for $30 or less from Newegg and test it out.

When you get your PC back, tweak the graphics settings like alrobichaud said and see if you get any noticeable FPS difference.... if not, look into a motherboard with 8x-8x CrossFire.(I am not certain that motherboard is causing your Lag issue, but from what the website says it runs at 4x mode)

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

You don't need what? An active dongle? I have a sapphire 6970 an xfx 6970 and a powercolor 6990 and none of them can power my 3 monitors. I tried since I did not want to wait for newegg to deliver.