Sign in with
Your question

Better Case for cooling or Better CPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2012 1:40:08 PM

I currently have an NZXT mid tower. The onyl cooling probelms I have are with my two gpus. I have to manually turn up the fans when playing games. My question is should I get a new case to help with cooling or should I upgrade to an 1100T from an AMD 955 BE. I know that the 1100t get much better benchmarks but I am not sure if it is worth the upgrade. Any suggestions?

More about : case cooling cpu

a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 1:50:52 PM

It's interesting that you have to manually turn up your fans. Normally they should ramp up steadily to deal with temps until they are going at full speed. What cards are you using? What temps are you getting that you feel you need to crank things up from the default fan profiles? I manually set my fan speeds sometimes, but normally it's to have less noise and accept a few degrees warmer on the gpu temps.

Couple thoughts:
1) You could invest in a few extra case fans- this could help quite a bit with ventilation in your case and is much cheaper than a new one (though not as fun to look at). Without knowing your gpu & cpu temps it's tough to say how much of an issue you have.
2) I wouldn't recommend a CPU upgrade. Honestly a 955 BE (assuming you've OC'ed it) is still a very good cpu. The performance increase for the price of the upgrade just isn't worth it for gaming. You'd be better off socking the money away for future graphics upgrades (or any other upgrade needs).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2012 2:07:19 PM

955 is a good gaming cpu.6-core is useless for gaming.upgrading your cooling will help you more.add more case fans or get a new case.Phantom is a reasonably priced tower and it's awesome!
m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2012 2:12:12 PM

2545503,2,555447 said:
It's interesting that you have to manually turn up your fans. Normally they should ramp up steadily to deal with temps until they are going at full speed. What cards are you using? What temps are you getting that you feel you need to crank things up from the default fan profiles? I manually set my fan speeds sometimes, but normally it's to have less noise and accept a few degrees warmer on the gpu temps.

Couple thoughts:
1) You could invest in a few extra case fans- this could help quite a bit with ventilation in your case and is much cheaper than a new one (though not as fun to look at). Without knowing your gpu & cpu temps it's tough to say how much of an issue you have.
2) I wouldn't recommend a CPU upgrade. Honestly a 955 BE (assuming you've OC'ed it) is still a very good cpu. The performance increase for the price of the upgrade just isn't worth it for gaming. You'd be better off socking the money away for future graphics upgrades (or any other upgrade needs).[/quotems

I have two HIS 6870's. If I am palying BF3, the fans will not go above 30% for some reason, I have found that it is a known issue, but manually adjusting the speeds is no hassle to me. If I do not adjust them, one of them gets to be about 95 or so, which I am uncomfortable with. I have the max amount of fans, one rear 120mm, two top 120mm and one side 120mm. I do not have any issue with my CPU temps, the highest I have seen it is around 60 C. I know when you CF the top card does not get any room to breathe so maybe that is something that I am going to have to deal with. I was thinking that maybe a bigger case with a few extra fans might help.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2012 2:23:27 PM

i can suggest a bit of modding.once i saw someone 'hanging' a coolermaster turbinemaster fan on his 6970 crossfire.that is a good idea to cool gfx if you can adjust.
m
l
!