Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Radeon HD 5870 Screen goes black and then comes back

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 23, 2012 1:53:08 PM

Hello,

I am having some problems with my new system.

Issue#1 Recently during gaming, (SC2, WoW), my screen will start lose pixels during a game, but is still playable. Typically once this happens I go to desktop and its on the desktop as well. I reboot and the computer starts up fine without the issue.

Issue#2 I've also noticed that during gaming my screen will go completely "black" (using DVI video card conncetion) and freeze for 10-15 seconds and then resume as normal.

I have a feeling my machine overheats which may be causing the problem but even with a fan on the side and the case open the issue still occurs.

I also notice in SC2 my FPS starts at 250 frames and during battles it will drop down to around 50 fps (with 4 players playing)

AMD Phenom x4 deneb processor
Kingston Hyper X 16 gb
ATI Radeon 5870
Intel 160gb SSD
700 w PSU
Cooler Master Storm Scout case

Any help is greatly appreciated

More about : radeon 5870 screen black back

January 23, 2012 2:11:15 PM

Should open up your AMD vision center and see what its idle temperature is and if you can, get the in game load temp. And did you update your 5870 to 11.12? I know overheating can make weird pixels to pop up, so could be over heating then.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 2:25:53 PM

I would also be curious about the 700 watt power supply. What brand? is it 80 plus certified? How old is it?

The fact that it is 700 watts means little if it is of poor quality. And if it is older, it could be supplying "bad voltage" which among other things, can cause other stuff to over heat.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 23, 2012 4:48:12 PM

tlmck said:
I would also be curious about the 700 watt power supply. What brand? is it 80 plus certified? How old is it?

The fact that it is 700 watts means little if it is of poor quality. And if it is older, it could be supplying "bad voltage" which among other things, can cause other stuff to over heat.


Everything was bought in Summer 2011.

COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS700-PCAAE3-US 700W ATX 12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply
m
0
l
January 23, 2012 4:50:33 PM

MissDazzle said:
Should open up your AMD vision center and see what its idle temperature is and if you can, get the in game load temp. And did you update your 5870 to 11.12? I know overheating can make weird pixels to pop up, so could be over heating then.


I will check when I get home tonight what my baseline temperature is.

I do have the latest Catalyst drivers as well
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 5:12:40 PM

Supraman said:
Everything was bought in Summer 2011.

COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS700-PCAAE3-US 700W ATX 12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply


It is not that great, but it should still be enough to power your rig. It is actually closer to a 550 watt PSU, and it is not 80 Plus or better certified which means they use lower grade components.. It is also the older ATX style as opposed to one of the new EPS units. Other than the misleading wattage and amperages, the lower end components can sometime provide "dirty" or incorrect voltage.

If you do not resolve the issue otherwise, I would have the PSU tested somewhere like the Best Buy Geek Squad or some mom and pop shop with the capability. Most places will not charge for this. You'll only be out your time involved.

Just for future reference, Coolermaster makes excellent cases and CPU coolers, but not power supplies. Even their so called certified units are not really as advertized. I have a 450 watt Bronze Certified unit that is really about 330 watts which is fine for the low powered integrated graphics rig I have it in. In other words, I do not push it very hard, and it does run quietly.

Best gaming power supply brands are Antec, Corsair(except for builder series), Silverstone, XFX, and the gold standard Seasonic. These will be a minimum of 80 Plus Certified(although most are moving to the Bronze level).

At any rate, good luck as I am out of ideas. i will continue to follow the thread because even after 24 years of building these things, I can still learn a new trick or two. :) 
m
0
l
January 23, 2012 5:55:44 PM

tlmck said:
It is not that great, but it should still be enough to power your rig. It is actually closer to a 550 watt PSU, and it is not 80 Plus or better certified which means they use lower grade components.. It is also the older ATX style as opposed to one of the new EPS units. Other than the misleading wattage and amperages, the lower end components can sometime provide "dirty" or incorrect voltage.

If you do not resolve the issue otherwise, I would have the PSU tested somewhere like the Best Buy Geek Squad or some mom and pop shop with the capability. Most places will not charge for this. You'll only be out your time involved.

Just for future reference, Coolermaster makes excellent cases and CPU coolers, but not power supplies. Even their so called certified units are not really as advertized. I have a 450 watt Bronze Certified unit that is really about 330 watts which is fine for the low powered integrated graphics rig I have it in. In other words, I do not push it very hard, and it does run quietly.

Best gaming power supply brands are Antec, Corsair(except for builder series), Silverstone, XFX, and the gold standard Seasonic. These will be a minimum of 80 Plus Certified(although most are moving to the Bronze level).

At any rate, good luck as I am out of ideas. i will continue to follow the thread because even after 24 years of building these things, I can still learn a new trick or two. :) 


I am leaning towards thinking the PSU may be the culprit. Would that explain why during intense gaming the screen goes black for a split second (as if it loses power or quality) and then resumes normally 10 seconds later? Anything else I should try?

I did have to modify my case to get the giant Radeon HD 5870 to fit, so maybe airflow could be a problem. I will check the temperatures when I get home and update the thread tomorrow. I appreciate all your help thus far.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 6:24:07 PM

Poor cooling could affect both the video card and the PSU. The PSU has to work hard enough to cool itself. If it is getting too hat, voltage output and quality could suffer sending a ripple effect throughout the system.

If the video card is overheating, it will want to draw more power from the PSU and could heat things up that way. Besides the power supply being the most important component, heat is the number one enemy of electronic components. After Ohms Law, heat was about the second thing they taught us in Engineering school.

At any rate, assuming the case fans are working properly, front blowing in, rear blowing out, top blowing out, I cannot see case airflow being a problem. I am assuming you had trouble with the length of the card. You did not mention which model number, but I have read that the 5870 cards with the fan on the front end do not cool as well as those with the slightly larger center mounted fan, or those with dual fans.
m
0
l
April 5, 2012 8:56:01 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help so far, but I still need more. I replaced my power supply with a thermaltake ATX bronze certified and it still gives me the same issue. I've also replaced the hard-drive and RAM and still have the same problem. My framerates when I start playing SC2 are 250+, but after a while they drop drastically. I will check my CPU and video card temperatures, but I haven't noticed them getting hot. Any other suggestions before I send my ATI 5870 back to ATI for a warranty repair. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Another problem I have is about 80% of the time when I boot up my machine I need to boot it twice to load up. It will power up on the first try, but doesn't properly send the signal to my monitor. If I shut it down and then power it back up the 2nd time it works fine. This occured after I did a bios flash, but it won't allow me to roll back my bios.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Cliff
m
0
l
!