Your question
Solved

Sound card noob

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
July 13, 2012 3:29:21 AM

Hi there I know absolutely nothing about sound cards, I have a desktop and like to listen to music mainly on that with Phillips shp-8500 headphones and was wondering whether a dedicated pci sound card would improve my experience, I'm not interested in 7.1 or any of that because the only speakers I ever connect are 2.1 as I have limited space.

I currently use the motherboard sound card: Gigabyte 880ga-ud3h

It's also my main gaming machine.

And a second question does anyone have any experience with the Enermax Dreambass, a usb soundcard for laptops.

http://www.enermax.es/dreambass.html

When away from home I listen to most of my music on my laptop and was looking to know whether something like this would also improve my listening experience.

I don't claim to be an audiophile but when I go home and listen to cds on a dedicated cd player deck I can definitely tell the difference to pc/ipod/phone.

Budget: no more than $60 unless you can give me a good reason to go higher ;) 

Thanks.

More about : sound card noob

Best solution

July 13, 2012 3:05:17 PM

On your first point, the headphones look high quality enough to justify the purchase of a soundcard. My standard recommendation is the ASUS Xonar D1/DX [PCI/PCI-E] which goes for about $75. If you need to go cheaper, the next best option is the ASUS Xonar DS/DSX [PCI/PCI-E].

On the second, spec wise, I'd imagine the onboard chipset offers higher quality on your laptop. I know desktop chipsets offer better specs then the Dreambass lists...Don't think its worth a purchase.
July 19, 2012 11:55:56 PM

Best answer selected by markholland.
m
l
!