Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Phenom x4 965 @ 3.8GHz + Sapphire 7970 OC PSU

Last response: in Components
Share
July 13, 2012 4:05:41 AM

Specs:

Phenom x4 964 @ 3.8GHz/NB at 2.4GHz - 1.4v

8GB DDR3 RAM across 4 sticks @ 1.5

Sapphire 7970 950/1000 MHz

HAF 912 w/ 4 fans - 2 x 250mm, 1 x 140mm, 1 x 120mm

Standard 1TB HDD


I have a choice between the Corsair TX 750 or 850, so which one? $24 difference. Seeing as PSU's run most efficiently at 50-60% - ?

July 13, 2012 8:25:53 AM

Get the highest wattage PSU you can afford. Might as well, the higher the wattage the less it has to work when powering that system. It also makes room for upgrades later on, you could use an 850 watt PSU on your next build provided it still works fine, and as its a corsair PSU, it will.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
July 13, 2012 8:49:26 AM

A 750 w would be more than ample for your system you would be lucky to see it draw 450w at the wall, also have you got a decent cooler on that 965 ? as you should be able to push it to 4.0ghz, also what mobo are you using.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 13, 2012 9:26:00 AM

Blahman11 said:
Get the highest wattage PSU you can afford. Might as well, the higher the wattage the less it has to work when powering that system. It also makes room for upgrades later on, you could use an 850 watt PSU on your next build provided it still works fine, and as its a corsair PSU, it will.

wow,what a terrible avdice.

@OP,as uther said,a quality 750w will do just fine-
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-crossfire-...
m
0
l
July 13, 2012 8:53:13 PM

I'm downgrading to a 7950 as the 7970 is overkill for 1080p. My old PSU has 4 x 12V rails with 18 amps each, its a 650w Xigmatek model, forget the exact model. Its 2 yrs old, should I chuck it and replace it with a TX 750 or keep on using it?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
July 13, 2012 9:06:12 PM

the xigmatek NRP series is a hit or miss, but im in assumption even though it can be a miss, the total power consumption of the whole thing still wouldn't stress the psu as much


if you plan on a single card build, you can easily get away with a good ~600w psu and have a healthy amount of room if you add more things like HDD's and other pci-e cards outside of a gpu.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
July 13, 2012 9:10:52 PM

should I chuck it and replace it with a TX 750 or keep on using it?

yes chuck it, but replace it with the TX650.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
July 13, 2012 9:13:03 PM

Smeg45 said:
I'm downgrading to a 7950 as the 7970 is overkill for 1080p. My old PSU has 4 x 12V rails with 18 amps each, its a 650w Xigmatek model, forget the exact model. Its 2 yrs old, should I chuck it and replace it with a TX 750 or keep on using it?

yes chuck it not that great of a PSU.


a 500 - 550 watt will do.
SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W $59.99
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
July 13, 2012 9:18:49 PM

claysm said:
If the Xigmatek model is working ok, it'll be ok. It's a reliable enough model, but obviously the Corsair model is a higher quality component.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1636/xigmatek_nrp_mc65...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2450/11

These articles both say that the Xigmatek model that you have is just fine. Only upgrade if you want to.

you related to that "get the highest wattage" guy?

Quote:
Raidmax Hybrid 630SS


nevermind . . . .
m
0
l
July 13, 2012 10:04:38 PM

I'll chuck it. That Xigmatek was from my first gaming build and even though its been flawless I don't trust a $400 GPU on it. I'll replace it with a Corsair TX 750, which I can certainly reuse if I upgrade later on, taking into account capacitor aging.
m
0
l
July 13, 2012 10:06:45 PM

Anonymous said:
you related to that "get the highest wattage" guy?

Quote:
Raidmax Hybrid 630SS


nevermind . . . .


Yeah, that Raidmax PSU was given to me as a gift, I would have never bought it if I had been using my own money. :( 
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
July 13, 2012 10:10:34 PM

Smeg45 said:
I'll chuck it. That Xigmatek was from my first gaming build and even though its been flawless I don't trust a $400 GPU on it. I'll replace it with a Corsair TX 750, which I can certainly reuse if I upgrade later on, taking into account capacitor aging.


You've not been listening have you ?

The TX750 is a waist of money even the TX650 is overkill for your system, so get it and save yourself some cash.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
July 13, 2012 10:44:54 PM

claysm said:
Yeah, that Raidmax PSU was given to me as a gift, I would have never bought it if I had been using my own money. :( 

thanks for not being offended at me poking you in jest.

granted we are not talking about a flaming brick such as a diablotek, however it would benefit the OP to use most any excuse to upgrade the PSU and keep the xigmatek in the closet for an emergency.
m
0
l
July 13, 2012 10:52:41 PM

Anonymous said:
thanks for not being offended at me poking you in jest.

granted we are not talking about a flaming brick such as a diablotek, however it would benefit the OP to use most any excuse to upgrade the PSU and keep the xigmatek in the closet for an emergency.


Oh no offense taken :p 
And it's always time to upgrade in my opinion.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
July 14, 2012 4:36:38 PM

I almost spit tea on my laptop at the flaming brick comment.
m
0
l
!