Amd FX-4100 Bottleneck

oscardr14

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Hello, my name is Oscar and I was thinking of buying the FX-4100 processor for a computer build i am doing soon, i was wondering, would the FX-4100 bottleneck the Radeon HD 7950? Would it be worth the extra money to buy the FX-4170 instead? Pleace help me decide!

Solution
I really wouldn't bother with Bulldozer for a gaming build. Unless your doing something thats actually going to use 8 cores efficiently, the 8 core cpu idea is pretty useless and that includes games. I would rather have 4 brutally fast cores then 8 pissweak cores.

OC_Skyrim.png

DiRT3.png

Metro2033.png

Battlefield3.png

Averages.png

What are you doing with this computer...gaming?

I really wouldn't bother with Bulldozer for a gaming build. Unless your doing something thats actually going to use 8 cores efficiently, the 8 core cpu idea is pretty useless and that includes games. I would rather have 4 brutally fast cores then 8 pissweak cores.

OC_Skyrim.png

DiRT3.png

Metro2033.png

Battlefield3.png

Averages.png

Solution

oscardr14

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
I am currently planning on buying a 24" monitor with this build, running at 1920 x 1080. Do you think the graphic loss would be so substantial that I should keep the 7950? Or is it useless to get such a card with out a good CPU.

First of all the 4100's are not 4 core they are dual core with 4 modules. The 6100 Bulldozer is really a three core and the 8*** are quad core with four modules. Secondly cores and GHz dn't really matter much anymore. AMD will have you believe that "more corez is better" but that's not the case and that's seen on the benchmarks. The Bulldozer get's out performed by a measly dual core I3. Speed doesn't matter much more either as again a dual core I3 or I5 at 3.2 GHZ will out perform a Bulldozer at 3.8 GHz.

If you already have a 7950 I wouldn't downgrade the GPU just for the Bulldozer. I would go with an I5 2500k.

You could go with a quad core Phenom II Black Edition like the 965 but even that falls behind the I5. However the Phenom II would still be better than the Bulldozer. I would avoid the Bulldozer for gaming. For those three I would rank it:

I5 or I7
Phenom II Black Edition
All the way at the bottom the Bullcrapper