Sign in with
Your question

I would like some "professional" help building a gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
March 30, 2012 4:56:05 PM

I don't have much money to spend. I am looking for something around 800 or less just to build a "decent" gaming rig. Nothing crazy. Just something that will be able to handle many games that are seen today at around mid-high settings (After using an M11x R1 for 2 years I'm used to playing games on medium or low so med-high would be a nice change :3 )

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section. I didn't know where I was supposed to post this but I saw "Homebuilt" so I thought I'd post it here.

I was thinking about something along the lines of this:

cpu - Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz $190
mainboard - ASRock H67M (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 $80
ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 $30
gpu - ASUS ENGTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 GeForce (Fermi) 1GB $200
hdd - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM $60
dvd/cd - ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner $19
psu - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power $50
case - COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 $40
case fan - MASSCOOL FD12025S1L3/4 120mm (rear exhaust) $7
OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM $100

Also if using an AMD processor will save me money I would not be against it. I am not looking for the best gaming rig EVER, just something that will be able to handle games without dipping into low FPS (sub 30ish)

Thank you for anyone who posts and gives me any feedback. I want opinions from others who know a lot more about these things then I do. I'm not really a big hardware kind of guy. :) 

Edit: I got these parts off of a past answer that someone gave. The prices are probably NOT what they are today.

EDIT2: Sorry. I found this template so I thought I'd use it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Approximate Purchase Date: probably not for 2-3 months. I need to save up a little more for this. I really regret purchasing my M11x.

Budget Range: uhh 6-800. I would prefer cheaper the better. Once again I'm not going crazy with this thing. Just tired of having low FPS playing on an 11 inch laptop/

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Mostly gaming, watching streamed movies and such. Occasional school work.

Parts Not Required: Mouse.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NewEgg. I only know NewEgg. If there is another site that has good prices feel free to use them.

Parts Preferences: not really picky. If AMD will save me money and put me a little behind over a more expensive Intel then that's fine. I just want an idea right now.

Overclocking: Sure. I like having options.

SLI or Crossfire: I don't know what this is. I'm not a big hardware guy.

Monitor Resolution: Not sure. I was thinking of using a ~20 something inch monitor. Not really looking for an expensive monitor.

Additional Comments: Just something decent. Nothing insane and top of the line. Just parts that will allow me to have the freedom of "upgrading" in the future and something that will let me use it for a few years without worrying about touching it.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2012 5:07:51 PM

Thats a pretty good set-up, but I would recommend going to a 560Ti. They can be had for $190 after rebate ($200-$230 before rebate).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2012 5:08:09 PM

AMD will not save you money right now as Intel is oddly cheaper on a !/$ basis right now.

Great build. Only thing I would particularly change is to get 8GB of Ram instead of 4GB, and get it in a 2x4GB configuration.

Maybe look at the AMD GPUs, or hunt around for a sale on the GPU, but it is still fairly priced, and the 560ti will do quite well.
Here is a good 560ti with a nice fat rebate that could pay for the extra ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Everything else looks good, I think you will enjoy.
m
l
Related resources
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2012 5:13:31 PM

LOL, "professional" help usually costs money.. I'm a first year IT student with a 3.75 GPA, if that actually has any bearing on whether or not you think my advice is worth a damn.

I can think of a couple things you could change to your initial setup.

RAM- Spend 20 bucks more and get 8GB. 4GB is fine, but its really bare minimum these days:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Everything else would be fine, but it would be wise to spend a little bit more money on the following, just for the simple fact thats you're not even spending 100 more and then you would have pretty close to "top of the line"....

CPU $220 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mobo- $122
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

---------------

The hard drive you quoted is 120 at Newegg currently. You can get one with double that capacity from Best Buy, I recently acquired a 2TB Seagate 5900RPM ST320005N4A for 127.19 (price with tax)... This is HDD is 140 something on newegg, (hard drive prices are iffy right now because of flooding in Thailand). I know this is a lower RPM speed, but thats the thing a lot of people probably don't realize: RPM speed =/= faster seek/read/write speeds. I use this Seagate to boot Ubuntu and there is absolutely no noticeable difference between my 500GB 7200RPM Western Digital Windows7 primary.
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2012 5:21:07 PM

It looks good to me.

Except a 8gb ram kit is only $40 and well worth it.

Do some shopping, and post what you find with links.

Some may make suggestions on different parts, but in principle, it is good.

A AMD cpu may save you some money, but you will also not do as well on cpu intensive games.

You might want to read this article on <$200 gaming cpu's from a few months back:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...
The tests were run with a 7970 to eliminate graphics as a restriction.
In your case, a lesser graphics card may well be a limitation in some games.

The 2400 is at the top of the list. Also, the 2100 is next, so you might consider that to save a bit on the cpu. Actually, the 2120 is faster for only $3 more.

The GTX560ti is an appropriate card. If you save a bit on the cpu with a 2130, you can spend it on the stronger GTX560ti-448 for an overall better gaming performance.

Because of the Thailand floods, hard drive prices are now much higher. It will take $110 for a 1tb hard drive.
If you can, defer your hard drive purchase for when prices come down more.
In the mean time, could you start with just a 8ogb SSD? It will hold your os and a handful of games. It is one of the best performance purchases you can make.
Add a hard drive later when you run out of room.
m
l
March 30, 2012 5:25:07 PM

Thanks a lot for the great feedback everyone. Due to certain events in the past my budget is extremely low at the moment so I will be forced to sit back and wait for a few months until I can finally piece this bad boy together :( 

At current prices the rig comes out to be close to 900 or so without the OS so I'm a little iffy at the moment. I hope prices change in the near future so I can save a little when the time comes :) 
m
l
March 30, 2012 5:31:06 PM

ak120691 said:
Thanks a lot for the great feedback everyone. Due to certain events in the past my budget is extremely low at the moment so I will be forced to sit back and wait for a few months until I can finally piece this bad boy together :( 

At current prices the rig comes out to be close to 900 or so without the OS so I'm a little iffy at the moment. I hope prices change in the near future so I can save a little when the time comes :) 

Saving for awhile might not be a bad idea. Ivy Bridge is due to release in April or May I believe. Contrary to hype, I don't really think they're going to be all that substantially better performing in terms of practical use (vs performance gains on "paper"-- In a game, I'd love to see somebody prove to me they can tell the difference between 80 FPS and 90) but I'm willing to bet following their release Sandy Bridge CPUs will be lowered in price.
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2012 6:09:09 PM

nekulturny said:
Saving for awhile might not be a bad idea. Ivy Bridge is due to release in April or May I believe. Contrary to hype, I don't really think they're going to be all that substantially better performing in terms of practical use (vs performance gains on "paper"-- In a game, I'd love to see somebody prove to me they can tell the difference between 80 FPS and 90) but I'm willing to bet following their release Sandy Bridge CPUs will be lowered in price.

Intel does not reduce prices on previous generation products, even when a better price/performance product replaces it. In part, they expect to satisfy the replacement market which is price insensitive.

If you will buy used, then yes, you can expect reduced prices on sandy bridge quads. But not by much if ivy bridge is only 10% better.
m
l
March 30, 2012 6:23:24 PM

geofelt said:
Intel does not reduce prices on previous generation products, even when a better price/performance product replaces it. In part, they expect to satisfy the replacement market which is price insensitive.

If you will buy used, then yes, you can expect reduced prices on sandy bridge quads. But not by much if ivy bridge is only 10% better.

Well. thats depressing lol. Fx-4100/6100 has dropped 20-40 bucks everywhere i've seen since FX-4170/6200 came out, but I guess they are itching to get rid of em since the 4170 is just clocked up.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2012 6:30:15 PM

I would suggest to come back after 2-3 months when you funds will be collected.

Ive bridge will be out then so no benifit if you ask now.
m
l
March 30, 2012 6:45:31 PM

serialkiller said:
I would suggest to come back after 2-3 months when you funds will be collected.

Ive bridge will be out then so no benifit if you ask now.

+1

Ivy Bridge + Kepler GPU = WIN
m
l
November 22, 2012 6:48:02 PM

First , a computer is a computer is a computer.
now, the only thing a gamer needs, is a massive amount of ram, a very good video card, max ram available on the video card, a power supply, that will not cause glitches, get the best one you can afford, as you will need it , because you will need , all fan slots full, to keep the machine as cool as possible.
OS must be 64 bit to handle more than 3gigs of ram total, that is the video ram and the os ram combined, all versions, unless its 64 bit. keep the add ons simple, dvd blue ray player etc.. if you can do without them, do so, its a gaming machine. build one for the everyday stuff. do nothing but game on the gamer, i have done this 2.5 decades, i have no reson to tell you wrong. just visit microsoft, pick your OS, get that RAM, get that Video Card(s) , get that Power Supply, and play like theres no tomm.

Peace.
m
l
!