Sign in with
Your question

6 screens with diferent apps

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2012 4:36:53 PM

Hello, I'm looking for the right hardware to build a computer that I can connect 6 LCD screens with diferent apps.
I was thinking about a motherboard lika ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION (with 3 pci-e 16x) and 3 graphic cards.
If possible I would connect 2 screens at each card and, hopefully, I would get 6 screen working on extended mode.

Will Windows 7 manage this or do I need other software?
Is this possible with what hardware? I've seen some aotherboards for AMD with good price also and 3 pci-e 16x.

This is not for gaming purposes, just normal windows applications like image displaying.

Thanks in advanced!

Paul

More about : screens diferent apps

a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 5:13:34 PM

Win7 (actually win95-7) will manage up to 9 screens, so you are good there.
Then it is just a matter of loading up on cards. PCIe or PCI really does not matter if it is for business use.
You should really look into Matrox cards. They suck for most uses, but they are designed specifically for what you are looking at doing: http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/graphics_car...
It will give you up to 4 monitors per card, and they are good 'ol PCI, so no need for a super high end mobo. Only problem is that they are a touch expensive for what they are, and they are a bit hard to find. But all of their cards feature 10bit video and are super accurate... just no 3D support.

On the other end of the spectrum you could purchase 3 low end cards for $75ea with the 3 PCIe16 slots, and have that work just fine. Just plug them in, load the driver, and let them go. SLi/xFire will not work with this type of setup, so it would not be particularly difficult to set up, just annoying to manage 3 cards instead of 1 or 2.

For the mobo; You do not need some crazy $250 board to do 3 cards. If this is just for business work you can get some decent Intel boards for $125-150 with 3 PCIe16 slots. As you are not going to be doing games they only need to run at 4-8x each. In short, I would not spend more than I have to for a business machine.
Related resources
!