Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Call of Duty
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 5:15:17 PM

My friend is wanting to play CoD 4: Modern Warfare. Problem is, is that hi computer is next to garbage. He wants to upgrade the graphics card to be able to play it. Right now he has integrated graphics and cannot play.

What card do you suggest that will fir in a PCI slot and is under 100 dollars. He was looking at the GT 520, or the Radeon 5450. He is wanting to play it on low/medium graphics. Thanks!

More about : suggest graphics card

a c 291 U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 5:29:07 PM

What is his motherboard? Did you mean PCIe slot? Because the cards you listed are not PCI, they are PCIe.
m
l
a c 200 U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 5:32:02 PM

What is the brand and model (not just wattage) of his PSU? Or, if the system was an eMachines, HP, Dell, etc. what is the model designation?
m
l
Related resources
a c 81 U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 5:32:41 PM

tom's best gaming card for money january 2012:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
it should help you choose a card from your desired price point.
radeon hd 6570 1 gb should be the lowest for a budget gamer. make your you have a good psu to run it and the rest of the pc specs can accomodate this card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 5:32:49 PM

Do you know more about your friends computer? Like the CPU it has or Motherboard? Unless you're sure it's a "PCI Express" socket, off course. Also, what kind of PSU (power supply) does he have?

In that case, to play MW1 (or even the 3rd one), the cards you suggested are plenty for medium + settings.

I can't look at newegg at the moment to give you a better assessment, but I'm sure other folks will kindly link you some cards.

Cheers!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 5:46:16 PM

Nope PCI, and I found on newegg PCI types of those graphics cards.

As for the motherboard, I will have to get back to you on that.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 5:48:11 PM

The PSU atm is 220W. Not nearly enough to work with these cards. He is looking at a few 400W ones atm. I told him namebrand matters, but he doesn't care really. Just something that is cheap and will work.
m
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 6:33:38 PM

That 520 is crap for gaming, but it's probably the best you're going to be able to do. Even that card will be limited by the PCI interface
m
l
a c 200 U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 6:43:50 PM

Hmmm, that looks like the best you're likely to get, at least on Newegg.

Edit: I can't find any even remotely similar benchmarks, but I'll guess that he'll be able to play on low settings. If he gets it, I'd be interested to know what FPS he gets, on what settings.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 6:59:50 PM

Yeah, will for sure make another thread and tell the results.
m
l
!