The Halo Three

A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the Halo
team being overrated I had to mention this:

The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential people
in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela, George
Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games industry
related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or John
Cormack.

Discuss..........
54 answers Last reply
More about halo three

    "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
    > A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the
    Halo
    > team being overrated I had to mention this:
    >
    > The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
    > Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential
    people
    > in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela,
    George
    > Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games industry
    > related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or John
    > Cormack.
    >
    > Discuss..........

    I wouldn't pay attention to any list that has Jay-Z as one of the
    "influential" people.

    "Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote in message

    > "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
    >> A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the
    > Halo
    >> team being overrated I had to mention this:
    >>
    >> The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
    >> Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential
    > people
    >> in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela,
    > George
    >> Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games
    >> industry
    >> related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or
    >> John
    >> Cormack.
    >>
    >> Discuss..........
    >>

    > I wouldn't pay attention to any list that has Jay-Z as one of the
    > "influential" people.

    Can you name someone who has consistently sold as many records as him? From
    the early days of Reasonable Doubt to the record breaking Fade To Black he
    has consistently put out multi-platinum selling records. Some of them may
    not be classics, such as Volume 3: The Life & Times of S. Carter, but they
    still contain musical gems and a lyrical prowess that most of the so-called
    artists of today could never hope to achieve.

    Can you name someone with the entrepreneurial skills to make a company like
    Roc-A-Fella into a global brand marketing everything from vodka to films,
    with an average revenue in excess of $50 million?

    Can you name someone with so much clout in the industry that he is now the
    CEO of Def Jam, arguably the Microsoft of the rap industry?

    Can you name someone with the same amount of respect that he commands from
    his peers and fans alike? Nas may have taught him a lesson in their much
    publicised beef but not many in the game can go head to head with Nas and
    still hold his own. When people list thier top ten rappers of all time
    invariably Jay-Z will be somewhere in there. Some may put him at the top
    whereas some may put him at 10th but the point is he will be in there.

    Can you name someone who has done all this and more in less than 10 years?
    Influential seems to be a slight understatement I think.

    Enough of this off-topic stuff lets get back onto track...........Anyone
    have any intelligent contributions to the original post?

    *****General <*****General@j.invalid> wrote:
    > A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the Halo
    > team being overrated I had to mention this:

    > The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
    > Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential people
    > in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela, George
    > Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games industry
    > related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or John
    > Cormack.

    Apparentally Time Magazine is no longer the fine upstanding magazine it
    was once thought to be. Maybe it never was.

    I guess we can ignore those hosers at Sony, after all, what they'd do but
    create the #1 console franchise. And forget Nintendo with its decades in
    the video game industry. And Cormack? Pshaw. All he did was create this
    little-known game called "Doom".

    *****General wrote:
    > "Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote in message
    >
    >>"*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the
    >>
    >>Halo
    >>
    >>>team being overrated I had to mention this:
    >>>
    >>>The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
    >>>Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential
    >>
    >>people
    >>
    >>>in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela,
    >>
    >>George
    >>
    >>>Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games
    >>>industry
    >>>related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or
    >>>John
    >>>Cormack.
    >>>
    >>>Discuss..........
    >>>

    >>I wouldn't pay attention to any list that has Jay-Z as one of the
    >>"influential" people.
    >>

    > Can you name someone who has consistently sold as many records as him? From
    > the early days of Reasonable Doubt to the record breaking Fade To Black he
    > has consistently put out multi-platinum selling records. Some of them may
    > not be classics, such as Volume 3: The Life & Times of S. Carter, but they
    > still contain musical gems and a lyrical prowess that most of the so-called
    > artists of today could never hope to achieve.
    >
    > Can you name someone with the entrepreneurial skills to make a company like
    > Roc-A-Fella into a global brand marketing everything from vodka to films,
    > with an average revenue in excess of $50 million?
    >
    > Can you name someone with so much clout in the industry that he is now the
    > CEO of Def Jam, arguably the Microsoft of the rap industry?
    >
    > Can you name someone with the same amount of respect that he commands from
    > his peers and fans alike? Nas may have taught him a lesson in their much
    > publicised beef but not many in the game can go head to head with Nas and
    > still hold his own. When people list thier top ten rappers of all time
    > invariably Jay-Z will be somewhere in there. Some may put him at the top
    > whereas some may put him at 10th but the point is he will be in there.
    >
    > Can you name someone who has done all this and more in less than 10 years?
    > Influential seems to be a slight understatement I think.
    >
    > Enough of this off-topic stuff lets get back onto track...........Anyone
    > have any intelligent contributions to the original post?

    LOL, Microsoft of the Rap Industry? That sez it all...

    after your last post, hell no would anyone wanna reply to you! That
    summation you gave is from someone that's truly a rap/hip-hop
    afficionado. Everything you stated prolly doesn't transcend to the OP
    because most people don't take that genre seriously, regardless of how
    many dollars or how sucessfull an artist is. Sorry, I actually like Jay-Z.

    But alas, I digress, you said influential, and I'm sure he's influential
    to plenty of "easily influenced" people.

    Doug Jacobs wrote:
    > *****General <*****General@j.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the Halo
    >>team being overrated I had to mention this:
    >

    >>The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
    >>Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential people
    >>in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela, George
    >>Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games industry
    >>related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or John
    >>Cormack.
    >

    > Apparentally Time Magazine is no longer the fine upstanding magazine it
    > was once thought to be. Maybe it never was.
    >
    > I guess we can ignore those hosers at Sony, after all, what they'd do but
    > create the #1 console franchise. And forget Nintendo with its decades in
    > the video game industry. And Cormack? Pshaw. All he did was create this
    > little-known game called "Doom".

    Your right, they're always going to be subjective. There are too many
    influential people throughout time.

    "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
    >A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about
    >the Halo team being overrated I had to mention this:
    >
    > The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto,
    > Cahlie Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most
    > influential people in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia
    > Lama, Nelson Mandela, George Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates
    > etc. They were the only games industry related people to be
    > mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or John Cormack.
    >
    > Discuss..........

    I'm no Nintendo fan but I'd have to believe that the Miyamoto/Mario
    franchise has exerted substantially more influence than Halo.

    ---Stash

    "Political Correctness is just inverted McCarthyism."
    -- Dennis Miller

    SPAM FILTER:
    You'd have to be out of YourMind to send me email.

    "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
    > *****General <*****General@j.invalid> wrote:
    >> A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the
    >> Halo
    >> team being overrated I had to mention this:
    >
    >> The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
    >> Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential
    >> people
    >> in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela,
    >> George
    >> Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games
    >> industry
    >> related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or
    >> John
    >> Cormack.
    >
    > Apparentally Time Magazine is no longer the fine upstanding magazine it
    > was once thought to be. Maybe it never was.
    >
    > I guess we can ignore those hosers at Sony, after all, what they'd do but
    > create the #1 console franchise. And forget Nintendo with its decades in
    > the video game industry. And Cormack? Pshaw. All he did was create this
    > little-known game called "Doom".

    Doh! My mistake....Maybe I should have made it clear: Most Influential
    People of 2005.

    sgk wrote:
    > "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    >>A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about
    >>the Halo team being overrated I had to mention this:
    >>
    >>The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto,
    >>Cahlie Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most
    >>influential people in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia
    >>Lama, Nelson Mandela, George Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates
    >>etc. They were the only games industry related people to be
    >>mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or John Cormack.
    >>
    >>Discuss..........
    >

    > I'm no Nintendo fan but I'd have to believe that the Miyamoto/Mario
    > franchise has exerted substantially more influence than Halo.
    >
    > ---Stash
    >
    > "Political Correctness is just inverted McCarthyism."
    > -- Dennis Miller
    >
    > SPAM FILTER:
    > You'd have to be out of YourMind to send me email.

    time is a bit biased towards the U.S., sorry. :)

    "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
    > A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the
    Halo
    > team being overrated I had to mention this:
    >
    > The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
    > Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential
    people
    > in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela,
    George
    > Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games industry
    > related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or John
    > Cormack.
    >
    > Discuss..........

    Well, what can I say but that Time magazine, like so many other
    publications, knows absolutely nothing about the gaming world. There are
    dozens of people and teams that should be mentioned before Bungie in any
    discussion of influential people in the gaming market.

    #1 will always be Nolan Bushnell. #2, perhaps Ken Kutagari or Shigeru
    Miyamoto. And many, many more, like Carmack and Meier and Suzuki before you
    ever get to the likes of "the Halo Three". Ugh. Bungie does solid work,
    but influential? Only very slightly compared to so many others.

    "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message news:6CB7e.29819

    > Doh! My mistake....Maybe I should have made it clear: Most Influential
    > People of 2005.

    That's much, much better, but still arguable. GTA San Andreas outsold Halo
    2 and spawned another round of videogame violence debates in the press.
    Halo 2 did have a trumped-up release, with stores staying open and news
    crews, etc, but it isn't an influential game.

    >r John
    >Cormack.
    Carmack is a code monkey. I read an interview where he said it didn't
    matter to him if he was coding a game or a database, as long as he's
    coding. Wow. Such passion for creating games.

    > Can you name someone who has consistently sold as many records as him?
    From
    > the early days of Reasonable Doubt to the record breaking Fade To Black he
    > has consistently put out multi-platinum selling records. Some of them may
    > not be classics, such as Volume 3: The Life & Times of S. Carter, but they
    > still contain musical gems and a lyrical prowess that most of the
    so-called
    > artists of today could never hope to achieve.
    >
    > Can you name someone with the entrepreneurial skills to make a company
    like
    > Roc-A-Fella into a global brand marketing everything from vodka to films,
    > with an average revenue in excess of $50 million?
    >
    > Can you name someone with so much clout in the industry that he is now the
    > CEO of Def Jam, arguably the Microsoft of the rap industry?
    >
    > Can you name someone with the same amount of respect that he commands from
    > his peers and fans alike? Nas may have taught him a lesson in their much
    > publicised beef but not many in the game can go head to head with Nas and
    > still hold his own. When people list thier top ten rappers of all time
    > invariably Jay-Z will be somewhere in there. Some may put him at the top
    > whereas some may put him at 10th but the point is he will be in there.
    >
    > Can you name someone who has done all this and more in less than 10 years?
    > Influential seems to be a slight understatement I think.
    >
    > Enough of this off-topic stuff lets get back onto track...........Anyone
    > have any intelligent contributions to the original post?

    Please enlighten me on why you think rap "music" is music, and why you think
    Jay-Z is a musician, and how rap music has become the result of hundreds of
    years of musical evolution. Methinks there's nothing wrong with the
    existence of such a genre, but calling it music is a disgrace.

    "Musical gems"? Repeating eight bars of music with no variation whatever for
    4 minutes? Most of them can't even hold pitch.

    He influences people, sure, but for the good of
    mankind????????!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?. I don't see how rap is progressing
    music.

    discuss...

    Jiyang Chen wrote:
    > "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
    >

    >>Can you name someone who has consistently sold as many records as him?
    >
    > From
    >
    >>the early days of Reasonable Doubt to the record breaking Fade To Black he
    >>has consistently put out multi-platinum selling records. Some of them may
    >>not be classics, such as Volume 3: The Life & Times of S. Carter, but they
    >>still contain musical gems and a lyrical prowess that most of the
    >
    > so-called
    >
    >>artists of today could never hope to achieve.
    >>
    >>Can you name someone with the entrepreneurial skills to make a company
    >
    > like
    >
    >>Roc-A-Fella into a global brand marketing everything from vodka to films,
    >>with an average revenue in excess of $50 million?
    >>
    >>Can you name someone with so much clout in the industry that he is now the
    >>CEO of Def Jam, arguably the Microsoft of the rap industry?
    >>
    >>Can you name someone with the same amount of respect that he commands from
    >>his peers and fans alike? Nas may have taught him a lesson in their much
    >>publicised beef but not many in the game can go head to head with Nas and
    >>still hold his own. When people list thier top ten rappers of all time
    >>invariably Jay-Z will be somewhere in there. Some may put him at the top
    >>whereas some may put him at 10th but the point is he will be in there.
    >>
    >>Can you name someone who has done all this and more in less than 10 years?
    >>Influential seems to be a slight understatement I think.
    >>
    >>Enough of this off-topic stuff lets get back onto track...........Anyone
    >>have any intelligent contributions to the original post?
    >>

    > Please enlighten me on why you think rap "music" is music, and why you think
    > Jay-Z is a musician, and how rap music has become the result of hundreds of
    > years of musical evolution. Methinks there's nothing wrong with the
    > existence of such a genre, but calling it music is a disgrace.
    >
    > "Musical gems"? Repeating eight bars of music with no variation whatever for
    > 4 minutes? Most of them can't even hold pitch.
    >
    > He influences people, sure, but for the good of
    > mankind????????!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?. I don't see how rap is progressing
    > music.
    >

    > discuss...

    That about sums up my thoughts on rap as well ;) Borrowing/sampling
    others original works to create thier "own" stuff is another thing that
    is a problem with it as well...

    In article <2Dx7e.3402$dT4.1346@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, "Jiyang Chen"
    <no@no.no> wrote:

    > "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
    > > A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the
    > Halo
    > > team being overrated I had to mention this:
    > >
    > > The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
    > > Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential
    > people
    > > in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela,
    > George
    > > Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games industry
    > > related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or John
    > > Cormack.
    > >
    > > Discuss..........
    > >

    > I wouldn't pay attention to any list that has Jay-Z as one of the
    > "influential" people.

    I second that. And Bill Gates influential? I'm thinking more "influenza".

    In article <tlA7e.19129$JO6.6265@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>, "*****General"
    <*****General@j.invalid> wrote:

    > "Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
    > >> A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the
    > > Halo
    > >> team being overrated I had to mention this:
    > >>
    > >> The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
    > >> Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential
    > > people
    > >> in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela,
    > > George
    > >> Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games
    > >> industry
    > >> related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or
    > >> John
    > >> Cormack.
    > >>
    > >> Discuss..........
    > >>

    > > I wouldn't pay attention to any list that has Jay-Z as one of the
    > > "influential" people.
    > >

    > Can you name someone who has consistently sold as many records as him? From

    So the guy sold records. BFD. That doesn't have anything to do with his
    character. It just means he was able to get a lot a people to part with
    their hard-earned money.

    In article <115tl75fcdjd5c9@corp.supernews.com>, Doug Jacobs
    <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:

    > *****General <*****General@j.invalid> wrote:
    > > A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the Halo
    > > team being overrated I had to mention this:
    >
    > > The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
    > > Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential
    people
    > > in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela,
    George
    > > Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games industry
    > > related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or John
    > > Cormack.
    >
    > Apparentally Time Magazine is no longer the fine upstanding magazine it
    > was once thought to be. Maybe it never was.
    >
    > I guess we can ignore those hosers at Sony, after all, what they'd do but
    > create the #1 console franchise. And forget Nintendo with its decades in
    > the video game industry. And Cormack? Pshaw. All he did was create this
    > little-known game called "Doom".

    And revolutionized gaming as we know it.

    In article <SYE7e.3587$dT4.3571@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, "Jiyang Chen"
    <no@no.no> wrote:

    > "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    > > Can you name someone who has consistently sold as many records as him?
    > From
    > > the early days of Reasonable Doubt to the record breaking Fade To Black he
    > > has consistently put out multi-platinum selling records. Some of them may
    > > not be classics, such as Volume 3: The Life & Times of S. Carter, but they
    > > still contain musical gems and a lyrical prowess that most of the
    > so-called
    > > artists of today could never hope to achieve.
    > >
    > > Can you name someone with the entrepreneurial skills to make a company
    > like
    > > Roc-A-Fella into a global brand marketing everything from vodka to films,
    > > with an average revenue in excess of $50 million?
    > >
    > > Can you name someone with so much clout in the industry that he is now the
    > > CEO of Def Jam, arguably the Microsoft of the rap industry?
    > >
    > > Can you name someone with the same amount of respect that he commands from
    > > his peers and fans alike? Nas may have taught him a lesson in their much
    > > publicised beef but not many in the game can go head to head with Nas and
    > > still hold his own. When people list thier top ten rappers of all time
    > > invariably Jay-Z will be somewhere in there. Some may put him at the top
    > > whereas some may put him at 10th but the point is he will be in there.
    > >
    > > Can you name someone who has done all this and more in less than 10 years?
    > > Influential seems to be a slight understatement I think.
    > >
    > > Enough of this off-topic stuff lets get back onto track...........Anyone
    > > have any intelligent contributions to the original post?
    > >

    > Please enlighten me on why you think rap "music" is music, and why you think
    > Jay-Z is a musician, and how rap music has become the result of hundreds of
    > years of musical evolution. Methinks there's nothing wrong with the
    > existence of such a genre, but calling it music is a disgrace.

    Oh, I dunno. Back in the days of the Beastie Boys and Run DMC, rap was
    an innovative style of music. These days, it's mostly just a bunch of black-
    oh, excuse me, *AFRICAN AMERICAN* thugs, who use it as a venue for spouting
    their hatred for whites and propping themselves up as heros (which they
    clearly are not) or as intellectuals (again, which they clearly are not).

    I love it. Rap clowns are given all the credit for being "smart", or
    "visionary", and people like Colin Powell and Condi Rice are called
    "President Bush's House Negroes" simply because they're intellectuals
    who speak intelligently and articulately. It's so nice that ignorance
    and brainwashing is alive and well in the United States today.

    Jiyang Chen wrote:
    > "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    > > Can you name someone who has consistently sold as many records as
    him?
    > From
    > > the early days of Reasonable Doubt to the record breaking Fade To
    Black he
    > > has consistently put out multi-platinum selling records. Some of
    them may
    > > not be classics, such as Volume 3: The Life & Times of S. Carter,
    but they
    > > still contain musical gems and a lyrical prowess that most of the
    > so-called
    > > artists of today could never hope to achieve.
    > >
    > > Can you name someone with the entrepreneurial skills to make a
    company
    > like
    > > Roc-A-Fella into a global brand marketing everything from vodka to
    films,
    > > with an average revenue in excess of $50 million?
    > >
    > > Can you name someone with so much clout in the industry that he is
    now the
    > > CEO of Def Jam, arguably the Microsoft of the rap industry?
    > >
    > > Can you name someone with the same amount of respect that he
    commands from
    > > his peers and fans alike? Nas may have taught him a lesson in their
    much
    > > publicised beef but not many in the game can go head to head with
    Nas and
    > > still hold his own. When people list thier top ten rappers of all
    time
    > > invariably Jay-Z will be somewhere in there. Some may put him at
    the top
    > > whereas some may put him at 10th but the point is he will be in
    there.

    > > Can you name someone who has done all this and more in less than 10
    years?
    > > Influential seems to be a slight understatement I think.
    > >
    > > Enough of this off-topic stuff lets get back onto
    track...........Anyone
    > > have any intelligent contributions to the original post?
    > >

    > Please enlighten me on why you think rap "music" is music, and why
    you think
    > Jay-Z is a musician, and how rap music has become the result of
    hundreds of
    > years of musical evolution. Methinks there's nothing wrong with the
    > existence of such a genre, but calling it music is a disgrace.
    >
    > "Musical gems"? Repeating eight bars of music with no variation
    whatever for
    > 4 minutes? Most of them can't even hold pitch.
    >
    > He influences people, sure, but for the good of
    > mankind????????!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?. I don't see how rap is
    progressing
    > music.

    Que, three...two...one....

    "Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message news:6CB7e.29819
    >>
    >> Doh! My mistake....Maybe I should have made it clear: Most Influential
    >> People of 2005.
    >
    > That's much, much better, but still arguable. GTA San Andreas outsold
    > Halo
    > 2 and spawned another round of videogame violence debates in the press.
    > Halo 2 did have a trumped-up release, with stores staying open and news
    > crews, etc, but it isn't an influential game.

    Not even artistically? If you had to compare the two as pieces of art
    instead of entertainment which would be your choice?

    > "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    >> Can you name someone who has consistently sold as many records as him?
    > From
    >> the early days of Reasonable Doubt to the record breaking Fade To Black
    >> he
    >> has consistently put out multi-platinum selling records. Some of them may
    >> not be classics, such as Volume 3: The Life & Times of S. Carter, but
    >> they
    >> still contain musical gems and a lyrical prowess that most of the
    > so-called
    >> artists of today could never hope to achieve.
    >>
    >> Can you name someone with the entrepreneurial skills to make a company
    > like
    >> Roc-A-Fella into a global brand marketing everything from vodka to films,
    >> with an average revenue in excess of $50 million?
    >>
    >> Can you name someone with so much clout in the industry that he is now
    >> the
    >> CEO of Def Jam, arguably the Microsoft of the rap industry?
    >>
    >> Can you name someone with the same amount of respect that he commands
    >> from
    >> his peers and fans alike? Nas may have taught him a lesson in their much
    >> publicised beef but not many in the game can go head to head with Nas and
    >> still hold his own. When people list thier top ten rappers of all time
    >> invariably Jay-Z will be somewhere in there. Some may put him at the top
    >> whereas some may put him at 10th but the point is he will be in there.
    >>
    >> Can you name someone who has done all this and more in less than 10
    >> years?
    >> Influential seems to be a slight understatement I think.
    >>
    >> Enough of this off-topic stuff lets get back onto track...........Anyone
    >> have any intelligent contributions to the original post?
    >>

    > Please enlighten me on why you think rap "music" is music, and why you
    > think
    > Jay-Z is a musician, and how rap music has become the result of hundreds
    > of
    > years of musical evolution. Methinks there's nothing wrong with the
    > existence of such a genre, but calling it music is a disgrace.
    >
    > "Musical gems"? Repeating eight bars of music with no variation whatever
    > for
    > 4 minutes? Most of them can't even hold pitch.
    >
    > He influences people, sure, but for the good of
    > mankind????????!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?. I don't see how rap is progressing
    > music.
    >

    > discuss...

    Some people 'listen' to music and some 'hear' music. Each to thier own.
    Discussed.

    "Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message
    > In article <2Dx7e.3402$dT4.1346@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, "Jiyang Chen"
    > <no@no.no> wrote:
    >
    >> "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
    >> > A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the
    >> Halo
    >> > team being overrated I had to mention this:
    >> >
    >> > The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
    >> > Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential
    >> people
    >> > in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela,
    >> George
    >> > Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games
    >> > industry
    >> > related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or
    >> > John
    >> > Cormack.
    >> >
    >> > Discuss..........
    >> >

    >> I wouldn't pay attention to any list that has Jay-Z as one of the
    >> "influential" people.
    >
    > I second that. And Bill Gates influential? I'm thinking more "influenza".

    The article did mention that his inclusion was more to do with his charity
    work rather than his exploits with Microsoft.

    *****General wrote:
    > "Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>"*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message news:6CB7e.29819
    >>
    >>>Doh! My mistake....Maybe I should have made it clear: Most Influential
    >>>People of 2005.
    >>
    >>That's much, much better, but still arguable. GTA San Andreas outsold
    >>Halo
    >>2 and spawned another round of videogame violence debates in the press.
    >>Halo 2 did have a trumped-up release, with stores staying open and news
    >>crews, etc, but it isn't an influential game.
    >>

    > Not even artistically? If you had to compare the two as pieces of art
    > instead of entertainment which would be your choice?

    I thought the topic was "influential", not artistic.
    In which case GTA would probably win for its negative influence.

    > Doh! My mistake....Maybe I should have made it clear: Most Influential
    > People of 2005.

    OK then! I was going to ask where Archimedes was on the list!

    *****General <*****General@j.invalid> wrote:

    > Not even artistically? If you had to compare the two as pieces of art
    > instead of entertainment which would be your choice?

    Neither. If I was looking for a game as a work of art, I'd choose
    Katamari Damacy. Both Halo2 and GTA San Andreas are just expansion packs
    from previous incarnations (Halo, GTA3 respectively.) They're both
    examples of the "More of the same" forumla rut that the video game market is
    falling further and further into. Katamari, at least presented something
    new, and has an unique style all its own.

    If I had to choose someone influential from the game industry for 2005,
    I'd probably pick someone involved with the creation of the PSP, or
    someone involved with the fight to control/ban video games based on content.

    theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:

    > time is a bit biased towards the U.S., sorry. :)

    Just a bit... Bleah. I'd say the PSP will have a bigger influence on
    gaming than Halo and Halo2 combined.

    Jiyang Chen <no@no.no> wrote:

    > Please enlighten me on why you think rap "music" is music, and why you think
    > Jay-Z is a musician, and how rap music has become the result of hundreds of
    > years of musical evolution. Methinks there's nothing wrong with the
    > existence of such a genre, but calling it music is a disgrace.

    Oh please. I may not like rap, but I acknowlege it as a form of music.

    Question - do you consider Gregorian Chants to be music? Why not? They
    led to choral music and hymns - both of which are music.

    If you consider chants to be music, why not rap? It is, after all, a
    chant is it not? You could say it's a modern updating of the chants
    performed by ancient tribes in Africa and elsewhere.

    If you consider music to be an art, and poetry to be an art, then why not
    rap?

    If you want to get more creative, you could even show how rap is a modern
    version of the stories sung/chanted by the bards of Medieval times. These
    people would go from town to town performing poems that were chanted to a
    simple musical melody. This was the main form of news back then, and the
    information was chanted in rhyme to help both the performer and the
    audience remember it. I bet if you found a written version of these
    poems, they'd be rather bawdy and down-to-earth - much like rap.

    Even then, the whole idea of putting rhymes to music came from the Arabs,
    so you could say that rap - along with many forms of modern music - came
    from the middle east, to say nothing of the "choirs" of ancient Greece...

    Stephen Edwards <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote:

    > I second that. And Bill Gates influential? I'm thinking more "influenza".

    Well, Bill Gates, via Microsoft, exerted a lot of influence in the
    computer industry. Of course, he stepped down. They should have listed
    Steve Ballmer who's the current force behind Microsoft. Of course, most
    people still point to Gates and curse his name when their computer
    crashes...

    "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message news:1SN7e.3370

    > Not even artistically? If you had to compare the two as pieces of art
    > instead of entertainment which would be your choice?

    That's tough. They're such different games. Against GTAIII, Halo wouldn't
    have a chance. But San Andreas, like Vice City, dropped the original
    soundtrack and a lot of its unique identity in favor of licensed music and
    parody of real life environments, etc. On the other hand, Halo 2 was
    uninspired, constricting, and a waste of potential, despite being a solid
    game. It's really on the artistic and ambitious side where it failed.
    Neither of them is as good a game or work of art as their predecessors.

    > Jiyang Chen <no@no.no> wrote:
    >
    > > Please enlighten me on why you think rap "music" is music, and why you
    think
    > > Jay-Z is a musician, and how rap music has become the result of hundreds
    of
    > > years of musical evolution. Methinks there's nothing wrong with the
    > > existence of such a genre, but calling it music is a disgrace.
    >
    > Oh please. I may not like rap, but I acknowlege it as a form of music.
    >
    > Question - do you consider Gregorian Chants to be music? Why not? They
    > led to choral music and hymns - both of which are music.
    >
    > If you consider chants to be music, why not rap? It is, after all, a
    > chant is it not? You could say it's a modern updating of the chants
    > performed by ancient tribes in Africa and elsewhere.
    >
    > If you consider music to be an art, and poetry to be an art, then why not
    > rap?
    >
    > If you want to get more creative, you could even show how rap is a modern
    > version of the stories sung/chanted by the bards of Medieval times. These
    > people would go from town to town performing poems that were chanted to a
    > simple musical melody. This was the main form of news back then, and the
    > information was chanted in rhyme to help both the performer and the
    > audience remember it. I bet if you found a written version of these
    > poems, they'd be rather bawdy and down-to-earth - much like rap.
    >
    > Even then, the whole idea of putting rhymes to music came from the Arabs,
    > so you could say that rap - along with many forms of modern music - came
    > from the middle east, to say nothing of the "choirs" of ancient Greece...

    Oh please what? So you're admitting we are actually moving backwards instead
    of forwards in the evolution of music? More like a sudden plunge then slow
    regression. With the advent of rap and eventual infestation of rap will
    actually obliterate 600 years of musical evolution and send us back to
    medieval times. There are people out there who actually write real music
    but don't get the credit because the market's very small for what they
    produce.

    Get them in a basic freshmen theory/composition class in college and they
    will have zero idea on what anything is about.

    In article <c_-dnTv64qwPJsLfRVn-ow@vnet-inc.com>, "Keith Schiffner"
    <SCHISTAN@3RIVERS.NET> wrote:

    > "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in
    > message
    > >
    > > "Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net>
    > > wrote in message
    > >> "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote
    > >> in message news:6CB7e.29819

    > >> That's much, much better, but still arguable.
    > >> GTA San Andreas outsold Halo
    > >> 2 and spawned another round of videogame
    > >> violence debates in the press.
    > >> Halo 2 did have a trumped-up release, with
    > >> stores staying open and news
    > >> crews, etc, but it isn't an influential game.
    > >>

    > > Not even artistically? If you had to compare the
    > > two as pieces of art instead of entertainment
    > > which would be your choice?
    >
    > I was going to avoid this thread as that dedwards
    ^^^^^^^^
    Is this a threat? If so, I just might forward your little
    post to your ISP, and have your account removed.

    > fellow turned it into a racist screed and frankly
    > I'd LOVE to cap every racist mo' fo' out there.

    I make one sarcastic comment about political correctness and
    I immediately get called names and labeled a racist.

    How predictable. You should be head of the DNC.

    Stephen Edwards wrote:
    > In article <c_-dnTv64qwPJsLfRVn-ow@vnet-inc.com>, "Keith Schiffner"
    > <SCHISTAN@3RIVERS.NET> wrote:
    >

    >>"*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in
    >>message
    >>
    >>>"Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net>
    >>>wrote in message

    >>>Not even artistically? If you had to compare the
    >>>two as pieces of art instead of entertainment
    >>>which would be your choice?
    >>
    >>I was going to avoid this thread as that dedwards
    >
    > ^^^^^^^^
    > Is this a threat? If so, I just might forward your little
    > post to your ISP, and have your account removed.
    >

    >>fellow turned it into a racist screed and frankly
    >>I'd LOVE to cap every racist mo' fo' out there.
    >

    > I make one sarcastic comment about political correctness and
    > I immediately get called names and labeled a racist.
    >
    > How predictable. You should be head of the DNC.

    I just find it funny that somebody said they're going to forward
    someone's information to their ISP....LMAO..

    > In article <SYE7e.3587$dT4.3571@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, "Jiyang Chen"
    > <no@no.no> wrote:
    >
    >> "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > Can you name someone who has consistently sold as many records as him?
    >> From
    >> > the early days of Reasonable Doubt to the record breaking Fade To Black
    >> > he
    >> > has consistently put out multi-platinum selling records. Some of them
    >> > may
    >> > not be classics, such as Volume 3: The Life & Times of S. Carter, but
    >> > they
    >> > still contain musical gems and a lyrical prowess that most of the
    >> so-called
    >> > artists of today could never hope to achieve.
    >> >
    >> > Can you name someone with the entrepreneurial skills to make a company
    >> like
    >> > Roc-A-Fella into a global brand marketing everything from vodka to
    >> > films,
    >> > with an average revenue in excess of $50 million?
    >> >
    >> > Can you name someone with so much clout in the industry that he is now
    >> > the
    >> > CEO of Def Jam, arguably the Microsoft of the rap industry?
    >> >
    >> > Can you name someone with the same amount of respect that he commands
    >> > from
    >> > his peers and fans alike? Nas may have taught him a lesson in their
    >> > much
    >> > publicised beef but not many in the game can go head to head with Nas
    >> > and
    >> > still hold his own. When people list thier top ten rappers of all time
    >> > invariably Jay-Z will be somewhere in there. Some may put him at the
    >> > top
    >> > whereas some may put him at 10th but the point is he will be in there.
    >> >
    >> > Can you name someone who has done all this and more in less than 10
    >> > years?
    >> > Influential seems to be a slight understatement I think.
    >> >
    >> > Enough of this off-topic stuff lets get back onto
    >> > track...........Anyone
    >> > have any intelligent contributions to the original post?
    >> >

    >> Please enlighten me on why you think rap "music" is music, and why you
    >> think
    >> Jay-Z is a musician, and how rap music has become the result of hundreds
    >> of
    >> years of musical evolution. Methinks there's nothing wrong with the
    >> existence of such a genre, but calling it music is a disgrace.
    >
    > Oh, I dunno. Back in the days of the Beastie Boys and Run DMC, rap was
    > an innovative style of music. These days, it's mostly just a bunch of
    > black-
    > oh, excuse me, *AFRICAN AMERICAN* thugs, who use it as a venue for
    > spouting
    > their hatred for whites and propping themselves up as heros (which they
    > clearly are not) or as intellectuals (again, which they clearly are not).

    Good generalizations (sarcasm). Now let me play devil's advocate (no pun
    intended). According to the Billboard charts, rap music dominates the top
    of the radio requests and sales every week. How that possible when African
    American's are a much lower percentage of this country's population than
    Whites or Latino's? That number would be significantly lower if you
    eliminate certain groups that the census bureau classifies as black although
    they are not African American. If there are so few blacks, who the heck is
    buying all of that "hatred of whites" and "heroe" music? That would have to
    be Whites. Do you think the music would sell that well to whites if it were
    about hating whites. If that were the case, country music would sell a lot
    better to minorities.

    Also, since I am using the charts to refute your point, please point out a
    single lyric of ANY of the top selling rap artists last year that spoke of
    hatred for whites EXCEPT for Eminem. I will list a couple that I google
    search to help you out: 50 Cent, Nelly, Black Eyed Peas, Jay-Z, The Game,
    Lil John. I didn't even list any of the so-called "intellectual/message"
    artists like Mos Def, the Roots or Common.

    Finally, the really dumb part of your post is that you said "back in the
    days" and listed the Beastie Boys and Run DMC. I have a feeling you are
    either not very old or do not know anything about rap music back in the day.
    There was rap long before those two groups came along in the 80's and one's
    claim to fame "back in the day" was talking about their shoes, while the
    other's was drinking "Brass Monkey" and partying. They eventually evolved
    but they didn't start out as the pioneers that you build them up to be. On
    top of that, you say "these days, it's mostly just a bunch of black......".
    That is the stupidest part of your whole post. "Back in the day", as you
    like to refer to it, the Beastie Boys were the ONLY non-black rap group. No
    Whites, Latinos or Asians (Jin), so by your logic, rap is more diverse now
    than it was back then. They would have laughed at Eminem, Bubba Sparxx, 3rd
    Base, Fergie (from Black-eyed peas).... Now they are embraced by the
    industry.

    > I love it. Rap clowns are given all the credit for being "smart", or
    > "visionary", and people like Colin Powell and Condi Rice are called
    > "President Bush's House Negroes" simply because they're intellectuals
    > who speak intelligently and articulately. It's so nice that ignorance
    > and brainwashing is alive and well in the United States today.

    Yeah, because I am sure you hang around so many black people that they tell
    you that stuff all the time, don't they. Stop speaking on what you know
    nothing about.

    > In article <tlA7e.19129$JO6.6265@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>, "*****General"
    > <*****General@j.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> "Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
    >> > Halo

    >> > people
    >> > George

    >> > I wouldn't pay attention to any list that has Jay-Z as one of the
    >> > "influential" people.
    >> >

    >> Can you name someone who has consistently sold as many records as him?
    >> From
    >
    > So the guy sold records. BFD. That doesn't have anything to do with his
    > character. It just means he was able to get a lot a people to part with
    > their hard-earned money.

    LOL, what the hell does any of this have to do with someone's character.
    The post lists George Bush and Bill Gates. If the prior is talking about
    the current president, what the hell does character obviously have to do
    with either of them making the list? The Dali Lama? What does the world in
    general even know about the Dali Lama? You are making points that can't be
    supported with the limited information from the original post.

    Mattinglyfan wrote:
    > "Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote in message
    >
    >>What racism? Read his comment about Rice and Powell.
    >>

    > Good point, except you have to remember that Rice and Powell are often used
    > as a "safety net" for conservatives who want to show their diverse
    > admiration for prominent figures. He should have used the Obama guy from
    > Illinois if he wanted to make a point using a republican African-American.

    Baraka? ;) Every time I hear his name it reminds me of the mortal kombat
    fighter

    "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
    > Mattinglyfan wrote:
    >> "Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>What racism? Read his comment about Rice and Powell.
    >>>

    >> Good point, except you have to remember that Rice and Powell are often
    >> used as a "safety net" for conservatives who want to show their diverse
    >> admiration for prominent figures. He should have used the Obama guy from
    >> Illinois if he wanted to make a point using a republican
    >> African-American.
    >>

    > Baraka? ;) Every time I hear his name it reminds me of the mortal kombat
    > fighter

    Yeah, that one. :)

    Mattinglyfan wrote:
    > "Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <tlA7e.19129$JO6.6265@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>, "*****General"
    >><*****General@j.invalid> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote in message

    >>>Can you name someone who has consistently sold as many records as him?
    >>>From
    >>
    >>So the guy sold records. BFD. That doesn't have anything to do with his
    >>character. It just means he was able to get a lot a people to part with
    >>their hard-earned money.
    >

    > LOL, what the hell does any of this have to do with someone's character.
    > The post lists George Bush and Bill Gates. If the prior is talking about
    > the current president, what the hell does character obviously have to do
    > with either of them making the list? The Dali Lama? What does the world in
    > general even know about the Dali Lama? You are making points that can't be
    > supported with the limited information from the original post.

    hey Stephen,
    that's pretty much what you're doing in my flame war thread about
    backwards compatibility. Making points not supported from the OP. you
    rock, 1970s SysAdmin! Flower Power baby.

    <Insert vile threat against Stephen Edwards>

    In article <i92dnUzy39BlwP_fRVn-vA@comcast.com>, "Mattinglyfan"
    <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote:

    > "Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote in message
    > > What racism? Read his comment about Rice and Powell.
    >
    > Good point, except you have to remember that Rice and Powell are often used
    > as a "safety net" for conservatives who want to show their diverse
    > admiration for prominent figures. He should have used the Obama guy from
    > Illinois if he wanted to make a point using a republican African-American.

    Obama Barak is a Democrat. Get educated before you argue. You'll look a
    little less silly next time.

    > In article <i92dnUzy39BlwP_fRVn-vA@comcast.com>, "Mattinglyfan"
    > <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote:
    >
    >> "Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote in message
    >> > What racism? Read his comment about Rice and Powell.
    >>
    >> Good point, except you have to remember that Rice and Powell are often
    >> used
    >> as a "safety net" for conservatives who want to show their diverse
    >> admiration for prominent figures. He should have used the Obama guy from
    >> Illinois if he wanted to make a point using a republican
    >> African-American.
    >
    > Obama Barak is a Democrat. Get educated before you argue. You'll look a
    > little less silly next time.

    LOL, guess you don't know his biography and that his political roots were as
    a middle of the road Republican as a civil rights lawyer before converting
    to the democratic party after working extensively with Sen. Paul Simon.
    Guess you didn't also realize that he still speaks quite highly of many
    non-conservative republicans and has called for more cooperation between the
    parties.

    Damn, I figured you know so much about the history of their music that you
    would have some basic information about African-American politics. Guess I
    should "get educated" the way you did, huh? Or maybe instead of "getting
    educated" you might try "educating" yourself so that you don't look like
    such a dumb ass, blow-hard, know-it-all. Guess they didn't teach you much
    about "those people" down in the Florida suburbs. Time to travel and learn,
    Spike.

    "Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message
    > In article <i92dnUzy39BlwP_fRVn-vA@comcast.com>, "Mattinglyfan"
    > <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote:
    >
    > > "Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote in message
    > > > What racism? Read his comment about Rice and Powell.
    > >
    > > Good point, except you have to remember that Rice and Powell are often
    used
    > > as a "safety net" for conservatives who want to show their diverse
    > > admiration for prominent figures. He should have used the Obama guy
    from
    > > Illinois if he wanted to make a point using a republican
    African-American.

    > Obama Barak is a Democrat. Get educated before you argue. You'll look a
    > little less silly next time.

    Yeah ... Like that guy who never listened to Gregorian Chants but still
    comments on it based on the word "chant".

    Mattinglyfan wrote:
    > snip snip

    hey man totally unrelated but I didnt want to start a new thread. You
    were right about warming relief pitchers while batting in MVP. I figured
    it out, drunk as hell this morning at about 4:00am, finally beating my
    buddy and his infallible Giants. Have to hit the white (or black, I
    think) while batting and switch over to the option with the d-pad. The
    option is greyed out though, from the start menu. I wonder if EA allowed
    that option on purpose because it seems they were trying to disable it.
    Anyways, I could never figure out how you were able to warm pitchers on
    teh fly like that so I thought it worth mentioning......

    > Mattinglyfan wrote:
    >> snip snip
    >

    > hey man totally unrelated but I didnt want to start a new thread. You were
    > right about warming relief pitchers while batting in MVP. I figured it
    > out, drunk as hell this morning at about 4:00am, finally beating my buddy
    > and his infallible Giants. Have to hit the white (or black, I think) while
    > batting and switch over to the option with the d-pad. The option is greyed
    > out though, from the start menu. I wonder if EA allowed that option on
    > purpose because it seems they were trying to disable it. Anyways, I could
    > never figure out how you were able to warm pitchers on teh fly like that
    > so I thought it worth mentioning......

    No problem. I actually had to go back and check after you posted because I
    thought maybe I was mistaken or imagining it. Guess you have to be drunk to
    think like me.

    Jiyang Chen <no@no.no> wrote:

    > Oh please what? So you're admitting we are actually moving backwards instead
    > of forwards in the evolution of music? More like a sudden plunge then slow
    > regression. With the advent of rap and eventual infestation of rap will
    > actually obliterate 600 years of musical evolution and send us back to
    > medieval times. There are people out there who actually write real music
    > but don't get the credit because the market's very small for what they
    > produce.

    You've heard the saying "Everything old is new again", yes?

    Haven't you been paying attention to the general fads lately? Old is
    good. The distressed look, and updated-retro are "in".

    And why must it be seen as an obliteration of previous progress? Mixing
    new and old together has always been going on in the music world.

    Just because Rock came about, does that mean we must ignore chamber music,
    jazz, R&B, etc?

    > Get them in a basic freshmen theory/composition class in college and they
    > will have zero idea on what anything is about.

    Heh. There were a lot of music majors on my hall my freshman year, and
    a lot of them had a hard time with music theory/composition, even though
    they were each an accomplished musician or singer.

    Do you honestly think 90% of the today's performers have even taken a
    college music theory class? (or even a college class period? ;)

    > Jiyang Chen <no@no.no> wrote:
    > You've heard the saying "Everything old is new again", yes?

    Sure...
    > Haven't you been paying attention to the general fads lately? Old is
    > good. The distressed look, and updated-retro are "in".

    What connection can you make from rap to Gregorian Chants? There's no
    melody in rap.

    > And why must it be seen as an obliteration of previous progress? Mixing
    > new and old together has always been going on in the music world.

    You still think rapping is music?

    > Just because Rock came about, does that mean we must ignore chamber music,
    > jazz, R&B, etc?

    Yeah, but rock is music.

    > Heh. There were a lot of music majors on my hall my freshman year, and
    > a lot of them had a hard time with music theory/composition, even though
    > they were each an accomplished musician or singer.

    And a rap artist is an accomplished musician??? Please...

    > Do you honestly think 90% of the today's performers have even taken a
    > college music theory class? (or even a college class period? ;)

    In order to write songs you need a basic understanding of music. Rappers
    write words.

    Jiyang Chen <no@no.no> wrote:

    > What connection can you make from rap to Gregorian Chants? There's no
    > melody in rap.

    Yes, there is. The big difference is that most of the instruments in rap
    are percussion drum, but that doesn't mean there isn't a melody. Besides,
    isn't major requirement to be "music" is rhythm? And you have to admit
    that rap has rhythm...

    Stop being such a snob about it. No one's saying you have to like rap,
    but stop being so closed minded about things.

    > > And why must it be seen as an obliteration of previous progress? Mixing
    > > new and old together has always been going on in the music world.

    > You still think rapping is music?

    Going by the definition of "music", yeah:
    1 a : the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in
    combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having
    unity and continuity b : vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having
    rhythm, melody, or harmony

    > > Just because Rock came about, does that mean we must ignore chamber music,
    > > jazz, R&B, etc?

    > Yeah, but rock is music.

    > And a rap artist is an accomplished musician??? Please...

    Define accomplished musician. Since you already have your mind made up
    that all rappers are ignorant, non-musical beasts then of course you're
    not going to think they are accomplished musicians. A closed mind is its
    own best argument.

    > > Do you honestly think 90% of the today's performers have even taken a
    > > college music theory class? (or even a college class period? ;)
    > >
    > In order to write songs you need a basic understanding of music. Rappers
    > write words.

    Since when has this ever been true? How many singers out there wrote
    lyrics as young pre-teens, only to turn them into songs (you know, music)
    years later? I'm sure they didn't (and probably still haven't) taken any
    classes on music theory.

    Your definitions would rule out large chunks of stuff others call "music"
    - and I'm not just talking rap here, but from ALL forms of music.

    > Jiyang Chen <no@no.no> wrote:

    > As for what people will and won't buy, it seems to me that plenty of
    > people bought Milli Vanilli before it was discovered not only didn't they
    > write the songs, but they weren't even singing them. Jessica Simpson's
    > album sold quite well even though she obviously can't (and doesn't) sing.

    I feel everything you are saying Doug but I think you meant Ashley.

    "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

    > Queen Latifah is a rapper genius. She also has quite a successful jazz
    > album and I would venture a strong guess to say 99% of music professors
    > would say that her voice is better than Axel Rose or the lead singer of
    > Blink 182. The things you are saying are just lame and ignorant. At
    least
    > make a valid point rather than generalizing the same dumb ass points.

    Sure, if she sings, it's music.

    > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    >
    >> Queen Latifah is a rapper genius. She also has quite a successful jazz
    >> album and I would venture a strong guess to say 99% of music professors
    >> would say that her voice is better than Axel Rose or the lead singer of
    >> Blink 182. The things you are saying are just lame and ignorant. At
    > least
    >> make a valid point rather than generalizing the same dumb ass points.
    >>

    > Sure, if she sings, it's music.

    That's lame, plane and simple. There is no singing in most jazz so it isn't
    music. Classical "music" had no singing. Elevator "music" usually doesn't
    have words. What the hell man?

    Mattinglyfan <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote:

    > > As for what people will and won't buy, it seems to me that plenty of
    > > people bought Milli Vanilli before it was discovered not only didn't they
    > > write the songs, but they weren't even singing them. Jessica Simpson's
    > > album sold quite well even though she obviously can't (and doesn't) sing.

    > I feel everything you are saying Doug but I think you meant Ashley.

    Whoops, yeah. Though, what does(did?) Jessica do to deserve her own show
    on MTV? Seems like all you need is either a dirty mouth (The Ozbournes)
    or a set of big tits to get on MTV.

    > Mattinglyfan <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote:
    >
    >> > As for what people will and won't buy, it seems to me that plenty of
    >> > people bought Milli Vanilli before it was discovered not only didn't
    >> > they
    >> > write the songs, but they weren't even singing them. Jessica Simpson's
    >> > album sold quite well even though she obviously can't (and doesn't)
    >> > sing.
    >
    >> I feel everything you are saying Doug but I think you meant Ashley.
    >
    > Whoops, yeah. Though, what does(did?) Jessica do to deserve her own show
    > on MTV? Seems like all you need is either a dirty mouth (The Ozbournes)
    > or a set of big tits to get on MTV.

    Or both (Real World/Road Rules)

Console Gaming Games Video Games