The Halo Three

A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the Halo
team being overrated I had to mention this:

The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential people
in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela, George
Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games industry
related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or John
Cormack.

Discuss..........

"*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
> A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the
Halo
> team being overrated I had to mention this:
>
> The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
> Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential
people
> in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela,
George
> Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games industry
> related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or John
> Cormack.
>
> Discuss..........

I wouldn't pay attention to any list that has Jay-Z as one of the
"influential" people.

"Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote in message

> "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
>> A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the
> Halo
>> team being overrated I had to mention this:
>>
>> The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
>> Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential
> people
>> in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela,
> George
>> Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games
>> industry
>> related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or
>> John
>> Cormack.
>>
>> Discuss..........
>>

> I wouldn't pay attention to any list that has Jay-Z as one of the
> "influential" people.

Can you name someone who has consistently sold as many records as him? From
the early days of Reasonable Doubt to the record breaking Fade To Black he
has consistently put out multi-platinum selling records. Some of them may
not be classics, such as Volume 3: The Life & Times of S. Carter, but they
still contain musical gems and a lyrical prowess that most of the so-called
artists of today could never hope to achieve.

Can you name someone with the entrepreneurial skills to make a company like
Roc-A-Fella into a global brand marketing everything from vodka to films,
with an average revenue in excess of $50 million?

Can you name someone with so much clout in the industry that he is now the
CEO of Def Jam, arguably the Microsoft of the rap industry?

Can you name someone with the same amount of respect that he commands from
his peers and fans alike? Nas may have taught him a lesson in their much
publicised beef but not many in the game can go head to head with Nas and
still hold his own. When people list thier top ten rappers of all time
invariably Jay-Z will be somewhere in there. Some may put him at the top
whereas some may put him at 10th but the point is he will be in there.

Can you name someone who has done all this and more in less than 10 years?
Influential seems to be a slight understatement I think.

Enough of this off-topic stuff lets get back onto track...........Anyone
have any intelligent contributions to the original post?

*****General <*****General@j.invalid> wrote:
> A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the Halo
> team being overrated I had to mention this:

> The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
> Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential people
> in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela, George
> Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games industry
> related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or John
> Cormack.

Apparentally Time Magazine is no longer the fine upstanding magazine it
was once thought to be. Maybe it never was.

I guess we can ignore those hosers at Sony, after all, what they'd do but
create the #1 console franchise. And forget Nintendo with its decades in
the video game industry. And Cormack? Pshaw. All he did was create this
little-known game called "Doom".

theone

*****General wrote:
> "Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote in message
>
>>"*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>>>A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the
>>
>>Halo
>>
>>>team being overrated I had to mention this:
>>>
>>>The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
>>>Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential
>>
>>people
>>
>>>in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela,
>>
>>George
>>
>>>Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games
>>>industry
>>>related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or
>>>John
>>>Cormack.
>>>
>>>Discuss..........
>>>

>>I wouldn't pay attention to any list that has Jay-Z as one of the
>>"influential" people.
>>

> Can you name someone who has consistently sold as many records as him? From
> the early days of Reasonable Doubt to the record breaking Fade To Black he
> has consistently put out multi-platinum selling records. Some of them may
> not be classics, such as Volume 3: The Life & Times of S. Carter, but they
> still contain musical gems and a lyrical prowess that most of the so-called
> artists of today could never hope to achieve.
>
> Can you name someone with the entrepreneurial skills to make a company like
> Roc-A-Fella into a global brand marketing everything from vodka to films,
> with an average revenue in excess of $50 million?
>
> Can you name someone with so much clout in the industry that he is now the
> CEO of Def Jam, arguably the Microsoft of the rap industry?
>
> Can you name someone with the same amount of respect that he commands from
> his peers and fans alike? Nas may have taught him a lesson in their much
> publicised beef but not many in the game can go head to head with Nas and
> still hold his own. When people list thier top ten rappers of all time
> invariably Jay-Z will be somewhere in there. Some may put him at the top
> whereas some may put him at 10th but the point is he will be in there.
>
> Can you name someone who has done all this and more in less than 10 years?
> Influential seems to be a slight understatement I think.
>
> Enough of this off-topic stuff lets get back onto track...........Anyone
> have any intelligent contributions to the original post?

LOL, Microsoft of the Rap Industry? That sez it all...

after your last post, hell no would anyone wanna reply to you! That
summation you gave is from someone that's truly a rap/hip-hop
afficionado. Everything you stated prolly doesn't transcend to the OP
because most people don't take that genre seriously, regardless of how
many dollars or how sucessfull an artist is. Sorry, I actually like Jay-Z.

But alas, I digress, you said influential, and I'm sure he's influential
to plenty of "easily influenced" people.

theone

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> *****General <*****General@j.invalid> wrote:
>
>>A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the Halo
>>team being overrated I had to mention this:
>

>>The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
>>Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential people
>>in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela, George
>>Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games industry
>>related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or John
>>Cormack.
>

> Apparentally Time Magazine is no longer the fine upstanding magazine it
> was once thought to be. Maybe it never was.
>
> I guess we can ignore those hosers at Sony, after all, what they'd do but
> create the #1 console franchise. And forget Nintendo with its decades in
> the video game industry. And Cormack? Pshaw. All he did was create this
> little-known game called "Doom".

Your right, they're always going to be subjective. There are too many
influential people throughout time.

"*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
>A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about
>the Halo team being overrated I had to mention this:
>
> The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto,
> Cahlie Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most
> influential people in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia
> Lama, Nelson Mandela, George Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates
> etc. They were the only games industry related people to be
> mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or John Cormack.
>
> Discuss..........

I'm no Nintendo fan but I'd have to believe that the Miyamoto/Mario
franchise has exerted substantially more influence than Halo.

---Stash

"Political Correctness is just inverted McCarthyism."
-- Dennis Miller

SPAM FILTER:
You'd have to be out of YourMind to send me email.

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> *****General <*****General@j.invalid> wrote:
>> A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the
>> Halo
>> team being overrated I had to mention this:
>
>> The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
>> Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential
>> people
>> in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela,
>> George
>> Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games
>> industry
>> related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or
>> John
>> Cormack.
>
> Apparentally Time Magazine is no longer the fine upstanding magazine it
> was once thought to be. Maybe it never was.
>
> I guess we can ignore those hosers at Sony, after all, what they'd do but
> create the #1 console franchise. And forget Nintendo with its decades in
> the video game industry. And Cormack? Pshaw. All he did was create this
> little-known game called "Doom".

Doh! My mistake....Maybe I should have made it clear: Most Influential
People of 2005.

theone

sgk wrote:
> "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about
>>the Halo team being overrated I had to mention this:
>>
>>The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto,
>>Cahlie Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most
>>influential people in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia
>>Lama, Nelson Mandela, George Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates
>>etc. They were the only games industry related people to be
>>mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or John Cormack.
>>
>>Discuss..........
>

> I'm no Nintendo fan but I'd have to believe that the Miyamoto/Mario
> franchise has exerted substantially more influence than Halo.
>
> ---Stash
>
> "Political Correctness is just inverted McCarthyism."
> -- Dennis Miller
>
> SPAM FILTER:
> You'd have to be out of YourMind to send me email.

time is a bit biased towards the U.S., sorry. :)

"*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
> A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the
Halo
> team being overrated I had to mention this:
>
> The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
> Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential
people
> in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela,
George
> Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games industry
> related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or John
> Cormack.
>
> Discuss..........

Well, what can I say but that Time magazine, like so many other
publications, knows absolutely nothing about the gaming world. There are
dozens of people and teams that should be mentioned before Bungie in any
discussion of influential people in the gaming market.

#1 will always be Nolan Bushnell. #2, perhaps Ken Kutagari or Shigeru
Miyamoto. And many, many more, like Carmack and Meier and Suzuki before you
ever get to the likes of "the Halo Three". Ugh. Bungie does solid work,
but influential? Only very slightly compared to so many others.

"*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message news:6CB7e.29819

> Doh! My mistake....Maybe I should have made it clear: Most Influential
> People of 2005.

That's much, much better, but still arguable. GTA San Andreas outsold Halo
2 and spawned another round of videogame violence debates in the press.
Halo 2 did have a trumped-up release, with stores staying open and news
crews, etc, but it isn't an influential game.

>r John
>Cormack.
Carmack is a code monkey. I read an interview where he said it didn't
matter to him if he was coding a game or a database, as long as he's
coding. Wow. Such passion for creating games.

> Can you name someone who has consistently sold as many records as him?
From
> the early days of Reasonable Doubt to the record breaking Fade To Black he
> has consistently put out multi-platinum selling records. Some of them may
> not be classics, such as Volume 3: The Life & Times of S. Carter, but they
> still contain musical gems and a lyrical prowess that most of the
so-called
> artists of today could never hope to achieve.
>
> Can you name someone with the entrepreneurial skills to make a company
like
> Roc-A-Fella into a global brand marketing everything from vodka to films,
> with an average revenue in excess of $50 million?
>
> Can you name someone with so much clout in the industry that he is now the
> CEO of Def Jam, arguably the Microsoft of the rap industry?
>
> Can you name someone with the same amount of respect that he commands from
> his peers and fans alike? Nas may have taught him a lesson in their much
> publicised beef but not many in the game can go head to head with Nas and
> still hold his own. When people list thier top ten rappers of all time
> invariably Jay-Z will be somewhere in there. Some may put him at the top
> whereas some may put him at 10th but the point is he will be in there.
>
> Can you name someone who has done all this and more in less than 10 years?
> Influential seems to be a slight understatement I think.
>
> Enough of this off-topic stuff lets get back onto track...........Anyone
> have any intelligent contributions to the original post?

Please enlighten me on why you think rap "music" is music, and why you think
Jay-Z is a musician, and how rap music has become the result of hundreds of
years of musical evolution. Methinks there's nothing wrong with the
existence of such a genre, but calling it music is a disgrace.

"Musical gems"? Repeating eight bars of music with no variation whatever for
4 minutes? Most of them can't even hold pitch.

He influences people, sure, but for the good of
mankind????????!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?. I don't see how rap is progressing
music.

discuss...

Jiyang Chen wrote:
> "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
>

>>Can you name someone who has consistently sold as many records as him?
>
> From
>
>>the early days of Reasonable Doubt to the record breaking Fade To Black he
>>has consistently put out multi-platinum selling records. Some of them may
>>not be classics, such as Volume 3: The Life & Times of S. Carter, but they
>>still contain musical gems and a lyrical prowess that most of the
>
> so-called
>
>>artists of today could never hope to achieve.
>>
>>Can you name someone with the entrepreneurial skills to make a company
>
> like
>
>>Roc-A-Fella into a global brand marketing everything from vodka to films,
>>with an average revenue in excess of $50 million?
>>
>>Can you name someone with so much clout in the industry that he is now the
>>CEO of Def Jam, arguably the Microsoft of the rap industry?
>>
>>Can you name someone with the same amount of respect that he commands from
>>his peers and fans alike? Nas may have taught him a lesson in their much
>>publicised beef but not many in the game can go head to head with Nas and
>>still hold his own. When people list thier top ten rappers of all time
>>invariably Jay-Z will be somewhere in there. Some may put him at the top
>>whereas some may put him at 10th but the point is he will be in there.
>>
>>Can you name someone who has done all this and more in less than 10 years?
>>Influential seems to be a slight understatement I think.
>>
>>Enough of this off-topic stuff lets get back onto track...........Anyone
>>have any intelligent contributions to the original post?
>>

> Please enlighten me on why you think rap "music" is music, and why you think
> Jay-Z is a musician, and how rap music has become the result of hundreds of
> years of musical evolution. Methinks there's nothing wrong with the
> existence of such a genre, but calling it music is a disgrace.
>
> "Musical gems"? Repeating eight bars of music with no variation whatever for
> 4 minutes? Most of them can't even hold pitch.
>
> He influences people, sure, but for the good of
> mankind????????!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?. I don't see how rap is progressing
> music.
>

> discuss...

That about sums up my thoughts on rap as well ;) Borrowing/sampling
others original works to create thier "own" stuff is another thing that
is a problem with it as well...

In article <2Dx7e.3402$dT4.1346@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, "Jiyang Chen"
<no@no.no> wrote:

> "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
> > A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the
> Halo
> > team being overrated I had to mention this:
> >
> > The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
> > Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential
> people
> > in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela,
> George
> > Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games industry
> > related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or John
> > Cormack.
> >
> > Discuss..........
> >

> I wouldn't pay attention to any list that has Jay-Z as one of the
> "influential" people.

I second that. And Bill Gates influential? I'm thinking more "influenza".

In article <tlA7e.19129$JO6.6265@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>, "*****General"
<*****General@j.invalid> wrote:

> "Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote in message
> >
> > "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
> >> A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the
> > Halo
> >> team being overrated I had to mention this:
> >>
> >> The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
> >> Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential
> > people
> >> in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela,
> > George
> >> Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games
> >> industry
> >> related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or
> >> John
> >> Cormack.
> >>
> >> Discuss..........
> >>

> > I wouldn't pay attention to any list that has Jay-Z as one of the
> > "influential" people.
> >

> Can you name someone who has consistently sold as many records as him? From

So the guy sold records. BFD. That doesn't have anything to do with his
character. It just means he was able to get a lot a people to part with
their hard-earned money.

In article <115tl75fcdjd5c9@corp.supernews.com>, Doug Jacobs
<djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:

> *****General <*****General@j.invalid> wrote:
> > A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the Halo
> > team being overrated I had to mention this:
>
> > The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
> > Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential
people
> > in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela,
George
> > Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games industry
> > related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or John
> > Cormack.
>
> Apparentally Time Magazine is no longer the fine upstanding magazine it
> was once thought to be. Maybe it never was.
>
> I guess we can ignore those hosers at Sony, after all, what they'd do but
> create the #1 console franchise. And forget Nintendo with its decades in
> the video game industry. And Cormack? Pshaw. All he did was create this
> little-known game called "Doom".

And revolutionized gaming as we know it.

In article <SYE7e.3587$dT4.3571@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, "Jiyang Chen"
<no@no.no> wrote:

> "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
>
> > Can you name someone who has consistently sold as many records as him?
> From
> > the early days of Reasonable Doubt to the record breaking Fade To Black he
> > has consistently put out multi-platinum selling records. Some of them may
> > not be classics, such as Volume 3: The Life & Times of S. Carter, but they
> > still contain musical gems and a lyrical prowess that most of the
> so-called
> > artists of today could never hope to achieve.
> >
> > Can you name someone with the entrepreneurial skills to make a company
> like
> > Roc-A-Fella into a global brand marketing everything from vodka to films,
> > with an average revenue in excess of $50 million?
> >
> > Can you name someone with so much clout in the industry that he is now the
> > CEO of Def Jam, arguably the Microsoft of the rap industry?
> >
> > Can you name someone with the same amount of respect that he commands from
> > his peers and fans alike? Nas may have taught him a lesson in their much
> > publicised beef but not many in the game can go head to head with Nas and
> > still hold his own. When people list thier top ten rappers of all time
> > invariably Jay-Z will be somewhere in there. Some may put him at the top
> > whereas some may put him at 10th but the point is he will be in there.
> >
> > Can you name someone who has done all this and more in less than 10 years?
> > Influential seems to be a slight understatement I think.
> >
> > Enough of this off-topic stuff lets get back onto track...........Anyone
> > have any intelligent contributions to the original post?
> >

> Please enlighten me on why you think rap "music" is music, and why you think
> Jay-Z is a musician, and how rap music has become the result of hundreds of
> years of musical evolution. Methinks there's nothing wrong with the
> existence of such a genre, but calling it music is a disgrace.

Oh, I dunno. Back in the days of the Beastie Boys and Run DMC, rap was
an innovative style of music. These days, it's mostly just a bunch of black-
oh, excuse me, *AFRICAN AMERICAN* thugs, who use it as a venue for spouting
their hatred for whites and propping themselves up as heros (which they
clearly are not) or as intellectuals (again, which they clearly are not).

I love it. Rap clowns are given all the credit for being "smart", or
"visionary", and people like Colin Powell and Condi Rice are called
"President Bush's House Negroes" simply because they're intellectuals
who speak intelligently and articulately. It's so nice that ignorance
and brainwashing is alive and well in the United States today.

Jiyang Chen wrote:
> "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
>
> > Can you name someone who has consistently sold as many records as
him?
> From
> > the early days of Reasonable Doubt to the record breaking Fade To
Black he
> > has consistently put out multi-platinum selling records. Some of
them may
> > not be classics, such as Volume 3: The Life & Times of S. Carter,
but they
> > still contain musical gems and a lyrical prowess that most of the
> so-called
> > artists of today could never hope to achieve.
> >
> > Can you name someone with the entrepreneurial skills to make a
company
> like
> > Roc-A-Fella into a global brand marketing everything from vodka to
films,
> > with an average revenue in excess of $50 million?
> >
> > Can you name someone with so much clout in the industry that he is
now the
> > CEO of Def Jam, arguably the Microsoft of the rap industry?
> >
> > Can you name someone with the same amount of respect that he
commands from
> > his peers and fans alike? Nas may have taught him a lesson in their
much
> > publicised beef but not many in the game can go head to head with
Nas and
> > still hold his own. When people list thier top ten rappers of all
time
> > invariably Jay-Z will be somewhere in there. Some may put him at
the top
> > whereas some may put him at 10th but the point is he will be in
there.

> > Can you name someone who has done all this and more in less than 10
years?
> > Influential seems to be a slight understatement I think.
> >
> > Enough of this off-topic stuff lets get back onto
track...........Anyone
> > have any intelligent contributions to the original post?
> >

> Please enlighten me on why you think rap "music" is music, and why
you think
> Jay-Z is a musician, and how rap music has become the result of
hundreds of
> years of musical evolution. Methinks there's nothing wrong with the
> existence of such a genre, but calling it music is a disgrace.
>
> "Musical gems"? Repeating eight bars of music with no variation
whatever for
> 4 minutes? Most of them can't even hold pitch.
>
> He influences people, sure, but for the good of
> mankind????????!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?. I don't see how rap is
progressing
> music.

Que, three...two...one....

"Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message news:6CB7e.29819
>>
>> Doh! My mistake....Maybe I should have made it clear: Most Influential
>> People of 2005.
>
> That's much, much better, but still arguable. GTA San Andreas outsold
> Halo
> 2 and spawned another round of videogame violence debates in the press.
> Halo 2 did have a trumped-up release, with stores staying open and news
> crews, etc, but it isn't an influential game.

Not even artistically? If you had to compare the two as pieces of art
instead of entertainment which would be your choice?

> "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> Can you name someone who has consistently sold as many records as him?
> From
>> the early days of Reasonable Doubt to the record breaking Fade To Black
>> he
>> has consistently put out multi-platinum selling records. Some of them may
>> not be classics, such as Volume 3: The Life & Times of S. Carter, but
>> they
>> still contain musical gems and a lyrical prowess that most of the
> so-called
>> artists of today could never hope to achieve.
>>
>> Can you name someone with the entrepreneurial skills to make a company
> like
>> Roc-A-Fella into a global brand marketing everything from vodka to films,
>> with an average revenue in excess of $50 million?
>>
>> Can you name someone with so much clout in the industry that he is now
>> the
>> CEO of Def Jam, arguably the Microsoft of the rap industry?
>>
>> Can you name someone with the same amount of respect that he commands
>> from
>> his peers and fans alike? Nas may have taught him a lesson in their much
>> publicised beef but not many in the game can go head to head with Nas and
>> still hold his own. When people list thier top ten rappers of all time
>> invariably Jay-Z will be somewhere in there. Some may put him at the top
>> whereas some may put him at 10th but the point is he will be in there.
>>
>> Can you name someone who has done all this and more in less than 10
>> years?
>> Influential seems to be a slight understatement I think.
>>
>> Enough of this off-topic stuff lets get back onto track...........Anyone
>> have any intelligent contributions to the original post?
>>

> Please enlighten me on why you think rap "music" is music, and why you
> think
> Jay-Z is a musician, and how rap music has become the result of hundreds
> of
> years of musical evolution. Methinks there's nothing wrong with the
> existence of such a genre, but calling it music is a disgrace.
>
> "Musical gems"? Repeating eight bars of music with no variation whatever
> for
> 4 minutes? Most of them can't even hold pitch.
>
> He influences people, sure, but for the good of
> mankind????????!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?. I don't see how rap is progressing
> music.
>

> discuss...

Some people 'listen' to music and some 'hear' music. Each to thier own.
Discussed.

"Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message
> In article <2Dx7e.3402$dT4.1346@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, "Jiyang Chen"
> <no@no.no> wrote:
>
>> "*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message
>> > A slight misleading title I agree but after reading the post about the
>> Halo
>> > team being overrated I had to mention this:
>> >
>> > The 'Halo Three' (development team of Jason Jones, Marcus Lehto, Cahlie
>> > Gough) were mentioned in Time magazine as one of the most influential
>> people
>> > in the world alongside such luminaries as Dalia Lama, Nelson Mandela,
>> George
>> > Bush, Jay-Z, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. They were the only games
>> > industry
>> > related people to be mentioned, above the likes of Peter Molynieux or
>> > John
>> > Cormack.
>> >
>> > Discuss..........
>> >

>> I wouldn't pay attention to any list that has Jay-Z as one of the
>> "influential" people.
>
> I second that. And Bill Gates influential? I'm thinking more "influenza".

The article did mention that his inclusion was more to do with his charity
work rather than his exploits with Microsoft.

theone

*****General wrote:
> "Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>>"*****General" <*****General@j.invalid> wrote in message news:6CB7e.29819
>>
>>>Doh! My mistake....Maybe I should have made it clear: Most Influential
>>>People of 2005.
>>
>>That's much, much better, but still arguable. GTA San Andreas outsold
>>Halo
>>2 and spawned another round of videogame violence debates in the press.
>>Halo 2 did have a trumped-up release, with stores staying open and news
>>crews, etc, but it isn't an influential game.
>>

> Not even artistically? If you had to compare the two as pieces of art
> instead of entertainment which would be your choice?

I thought the topic was "influential", not artistic.
In which case GTA would probably win for its negative influence.

> Doh! My mistake....Maybe I should have made it clear: Most Influential
> People of 2005.

OK then! I was going to ask where Archimedes was on the list!

*****General <*****General@j.invalid> wrote:

> Not even artistically? If you had to compare the two as pieces of art
> instead of entertainment which would be your choice?

Neither. If I was looking for a game as a work of art, I'd choose
Katamari Damacy. Both Halo2 and GTA San Andreas are just expansion packs
from previous incarnations (Halo, GTA3 respectively.) They're both
examples of the "More of the same" forumla rut that the video game market is
falling further and further into. Katamari, at least presented something
new, and has an unique style all its own.

If I had to choose someone influential from the game industry for 2005,
I'd probably pick someone involved with the creation of the PSP, or
someone involved with the fight to control/ban video games based on content.