Sign in with
Your question

Thoughts on this

Last response: in Systems
March 30, 2012 7:45:53 PM

Looking for thoughts on this build....

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ with UEFI BIOS

CPU: AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+

RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 18669

HD: Decent sata6 drive haven't chosen one yet

Video Card: ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5 Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16

Case : RAIDMAX Seiran ATX-902WB ( I like flash )

I have ran power calculations, A massive PSU isnt needed the one I choose as way more than needed as the Power consumption on the 7000 series card is nearly half of GeForce 500, 600 series and 6000 series AMD...

The reason im asking for feedback is I always plan to sli or crossfire but never do, and am debating the actual need for the 990fx chipset... as the 970 and 990x only offer 16x on one slot...

Also anyone run the 7850 radeon now wanna throw there thoughts around about performance...

More about : thoughts

a c 93 B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2012 8:46:55 PM

Quote:
Case : RAIDMAX Seiran ATX-902WB ( I like flash )

Yeah but Raidmax makes a lot of flat out crap - there's plenty of flashy cases around but the cases that Raidmax makes are just garbage, very cheaply made and will fall apart on you after like six months or so. Stay away from Raidmax, Apevia, Xion, Xclio and so on.

Quote:
I have ran power calculations, A massive PSU isnt needed the one I choose as way more than needed as the Power consumption on the 7000 series card is nearly half of GeForce 500, 600 series and 6000 series AMD...

That's certainly true - the 78XX and 79XX are far more energy efficient than previous generations - if you're not going to Crossfire that will be plenty.

Quote:
The reason im asking for feedback is I always plan to sli or crossfire but never do, and am debating the actual need for the 990fx chipset... as the 970 and 990x only offer 16x on one slot...

Just don't go AMD period right now - the FX is a dud compared to the i5-2500K, and I'm certainly not a true hardcore Intel fanboy when I say that.

Here's what I would recommend based off your build:

Case: Antec 1100 - $99.99
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - $104.99
Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 - $129.99
CPU: 3.30 GHz Intel Core i5-2500K - $219.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB 1333MHz 1.5V - $42.99
SSD: 64GB Crucial M4 - $94.99
HD: Seagate Barracuda ST 1TB - $109.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 - $259.99

Total: $1,107.55
m
l
March 30, 2012 9:25:34 PM

I agree that all of those case brands are junk, I only selected that case because I have built 30 computers since the first of the year and have tested about 10 different case so and have found the Raidmax atlas and serian cases to be excellent quality cases..

anyhow

I kinda steered away from Asrock boards because I have had issue with a few of there boards lasting.. I know they are a subsidiary of Asus but it seems like they just dont last...

Ill be truthful this would be my first time in 18 years I plan to buy a Radeon card is Sapphire considered a quality manufacturer?
m
l
Related resources
March 30, 2012 9:32:29 PM

lordadamar said:
I agree that all of those case brands are junk, I only selected that case because I have built 30 computers since the first of the year and have tested about 10 different case so and have found the Raidmax atlas and serian cases to be excellent quality cases..

anyhow

I kinda steered away from Asrock boards because I have had issue with a few of there boards lasting.. I know they are a subsidiary of Asus but it seems like they just dont last...

Ill be truthful this would be my first time in 18 years I plan to buy a Radeon card is Sapphire considered a quality manufacturer?

I personally like Sapphire, I have a 6870 that I like. It's cool and quiet and I haven't had any issues with it. They get good reviews. That said, I believe XFX is the one with the better warranty. But I hear they run hot, although that might be specific to certain cards.
m
l
March 30, 2012 10:04:26 PM

lordadamar said:

anyhow

Really - where I work we buy a lot of those case brands and I cringe every time, I could post pictures of some of the machines that use several-year old Raidmax cases and what they look like now. :lol: 

Yeah Asrock is kind of a mixed bag - a lot of people here like that board because of the features it offers for the price.

As for the video card - Sapphire is pretty much all I buy for Radeon GPUs - although I do like XFX and Power Color as well. For NVIDIA I pretty much use EVGA exclusively.

Quote:
I personally like Sapphire, I have a 6870 that I like. It's cool and quiet and I haven't had any issues with it. They get good reviews. That said, I believe XFX is the one with the better warranty. But I hear they run hot, although that might be specific to certain cards.

That might be true for the older cards but the newer ones are more energy and cooling efficient.
m
l
March 30, 2012 10:36:29 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Really - where I work we buy a lot of those case brands and I cringe every time, I could post pictures of some of the machines that use several-year old Raidmax cases and what they look like now. :lol: 

Yeah Asrock is kind of a mixed bag - a lot of people here like that board because of the features it offers for the price.

As for the video card - Sapphire is pretty much all I buy for Radeon GPUs - although I do like XFX and Power Color as well. For NVIDIA I pretty much use EVGA exclusively.

Quote:

That might be true for the older cards but the newer ones are more energy and cooling efficient.

Im not saying that there are not junk ones in raidmax trust me I have been through a few and thought WTF did I buy this for again... but I can same the same about coolermaster, lian li, inwin, I think alot of the cases that stray from the normal are hit and miss on quality.... There are a couple coolermasters I wanted to throw out in the highway...

Good to know about Sapphire I really have been an Nvidia fanboy for along time ( cough not so much on intel ) but the 400, 500, and 600 series cards are power hogs and put out alot of heat... And I just thought the the new 7000 series might be time to change... ANy thoughts on Asus's 7850 version with DC2
m
l
March 31, 2012 7:28:21 PM

Any reason no one would recommend G skill memory, they are the number one rated and sold memory for most e-tailers
m
l
April 1, 2012 12:08:01 AM

lordadamar said:
Any reason no one would recommend G skill memory, they are the number one rated and sold memory for most e-tailers

I buy a lot of G.Skill RAM actually and I've have yet to have a single module fail on me, they are an excellent brand. Actually my laptop that I'm posting this from has G.Skill RAM in it.

Quote:

XFX has a better warranty but I hear their technical support is incredibly rude - that's one of the main reasons I don't recommend OCZ products. I have an older Sapphire 5830 that I'm using in my workstation and after two years - I've had 0 issues with it. The NVIDIA card that I occasionally swap it with (GTX 470) - I've had replaced 3 times. :lol: 

Quote:
Im not saying that there are not junk ones in raidmax trust me I have been through a few and thought WTF did I buy this for again... but I can same the same about coolermaster, lian li, inwin, I think alot of the cases that stray from the normal are hit and miss on quality.... There are a couple coolermasters I wanted to throw out in the highway...

True - there's always exceptions to any rule but the ones we buy where I work are just flat-out crap. My take on cases is that if you go the conservative route you'll be fine but if you go for the flashier route you're more likely to have something fail.
m
l
!