site:tomshardware com replace hard drive compaq cq60 laptop ios

Hello,
My compaq cq60 will not boot up past the scrolling bar and microsoft corporation screen. I called compaq and they say my IOS is bad. Can I replace the hard drive and cure this? I have everything backed up on an external drive so I'm not worred about loosing anything.
6 answers Last reply
More about site tomshardware replace hard drive compaq cq60 laptop
  1. Keep the same old drive, just do a FULL NTFS format and reinstall windows.....unless ur harddisk has crashed, this should work :)
  2. Thanks
  3. Hi :)

I own a laptop repair company... a CQ 60 is an OLD lappy....

BEFORE you do the above, run a hard drive test IN DOS....Hirens cd etc... I suspect your hard drive is failing...

All the best Brett :)
  4. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

I own a laptop repair company... a CQ 60 is an OLD lappy....

BEFORE you do the above, run a hard drive test IN DOS....Hirens cd etc... I suspect your hard drive is failing...

Thanks Brett. Heres the quandry now, I have a local shop that tested my hard drive and it's good. They will set it back to factory for around 150 bucks or will buy it from me for 100 bucks. I just don't knnow if I want to sell it or repair it.
  5. IamJerry_43 said:
    Thanks Brett. Heres the quandry now, I have a local shop that tested my hard drive and it's good. They will set it back to factory for around 150 bucks or will buy it from me for 100 bucks. I just don't knnow if I want to sell it or repair it.

Hi :)

Well I wouldnt pay 150 for reloading that old a lappy...

I also wouldnt buy it for $100 lol.....I would bite their hands off if they offered you that much.... put it towards a newer lappy :)

OR reload it back from the recovery discs or built in recovery, yourself...

6. If they are offering YOU $100 fro ur old 500GB drive, then SELL IT IMMEDIATELY, and buy a new one......offer sounds too good to be true....or am i missing somethin here??
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs iOS Compaq Hard Drives