Multiple internet connections for office.

manumaha

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Hi Tom, I want to set up a office with around 10 desktops. I am plannig to have 2 different internet connections for fail over. Imean when one internet line is down the other one should automatically be switched to primary. Is it possible with windows XP SP 2 machines.
What hardware I should be looking for?

-Makarand

Solution
Well, that's a dilemma. Cost effective usually assumes you’re willing and able to manage some of the complexity yourself. If not, that’s when pay to have some expert do it for you by hiding a lot of that complexity behind simpler to understand abstractions. I’d like to do my own car repairs and save a bundle too, but I’m aware that’s not practical given my lack of expertise. Even if I attempted it, I’d probably be a net loser considering the cost of equipment and the cost of recovering from numerous mistakes.

Remember too, if you use something like pfSense, you need the equipment. And unless you already have it, it’s not as if you get this for free. Even if you had a spare computer ready to go, your typical computer draws a lot...

manumaha

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion. Dual WAN router is a good option.
I found Dlink best. but is there any way other than dual router. Like having a machine with 2 LAN cards set up with a router OS or something like that?

-Makarand.

Sure, absolutely. You could install any of several routers OSes (e.g., pfSense) and accomplish the same thing. That's always the case when it comes to routers, single or dual wan. The issues are your skills, cost of equipment, time and effort, maintenance, power consumption, etc., all the normal considerations that go into deciding should you do it yourself, or grab a device off the store shelf. So that’s totally up to you.

manumaha

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
I am trying to use 2 internet connection. 1 Will be primary connection and another will act as a fail over.
The issue is I am not a tech geek type of person. In fact as suggested by eibgrad using a dual wan router will be the easiest way out for me kind of guy.
but it is not cost effective. So I am still looking out for some other option.
like, router OS like pf sence or Mikrotik etc. but I am not sure about how I can manage this OS. cause I am not a CCNA guy. :( .
Basically, I need to have a cost effective solution with simplicity.

Well, that's a dilemma. Cost effective usually assumes you’re willing and able to manage some of the complexity yourself. If not, that’s when pay to have some expert do it for you by hiding a lot of that complexity behind simpler to understand abstractions. I’d like to do my own car repairs and save a bundle too, but I’m aware that’s not practical given my lack of expertise. Even if I attempted it, I’d probably be a net loser considering the cost of equipment and the cost of recovering from numerous mistakes.

Remember too, if you use something like pfSense, you need the equipment. And unless you already have it, it’s not as if you get this for free. Even if you had a spare computer ready to go, your typical computer draws a lot more power than a small, dedicated device built for these purposes. Even an older computer could easily consume $50/yr in energy costs if run 24/7, compared to a small router that might cost <$2/yr. So you have to consider this in your decision making. Suddenly that $159 Cisco dual-wan router doesn’t seem such a bad deal when you consider it pays for itself in 2-3 yrs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124160

Have you tried ebay? With some luck you may be able to find an older dual wan router for say $50. Doesn’t even need to be wireless, you can just add that separately using another router as your WAP (wireless access point). Or just place the dual wan router in front of your preferred wireless router (i.e., daisy chain them). That way you don’t have to consider more modern and expensive solutions just because they include wireless N, dual frequency, etc.

Solution

manumaha

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Thanks Eibgrad. That information is really helped me a lot to understand the basics.
AS suggested by you I would rather go for dual wan router because its easy to manage and cost effective over the period of time.
I think I have got all my queries answered very well.
thanks to all who have tried to help me.

-Makarand.