Sign in with
Your question

New build, PSU sparked, but still works?

Last response: in Components
July 13, 2012 1:41:42 PM

Hello everyone. I just finished my very first build the other night. Specs are located below for reference. I used the Seasonic x750 gold PSU. I first assembled it out of the case to test everything and it all worked like a charm. Then I assembled everything into the case and got to the final step of plugging the PSU back in and powering it on. I plugged the PSU in then when I flipped the PSU from off to on it sparked, crackled, and threw some smoke. I was under the impression it just fried everything so I was quite angry. I have it a few minutes and decided to try to just power the whole rig and it booted up like a charm. And it is still running fine.

I am wondering why if it was a bad PSU why would it not have sparked and shorted the first time in the out of case assembly? And if there was anything I did the cause it. Also, is there any harm of continuing to use this PSU? I have powered the rig on and off a few times but have yet to try to turn the PSU off and on in danger of frying everythig if it shorts again. I'm pretty sure seasonic has a nice warranty and I should be able to RMA.

Any help is appreciated.

Antec 1200, i7 3770k, EVGA GTX 670 FTW, Asrock z77 Extreme6, 16gb Corsair vengeance low profile, 240gb Sandisk Extreme SSD, Seasonic x750 gold PSU.
a b ) Power supply
July 13, 2012 1:46:47 PM

RMA is your best bet, don't take the risk.
m
l
July 13, 2012 1:50:06 PM

wiinippongamer said:
RMA is your best bet, don't take the risk.

That is what I figured I would be doing. I am just curious to see if there was anything I did to cause this to happen. Because it worked fine at first, when it was assembled into the case is when it happened.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 13, 2012 2:30:47 PM

Don't mess with a sparking psu. Are you sure it was the psu and not some other component? I'm wondering about an internal connector or a motherboard standoff that is touching something it shouldn't. Was it the psu or the power cord?

Most likely you just had a psu that failed. I read somewhere that they are most likely to fail right off the bat and that a large number of those failures are due to being roughly handled during shipping...I've been lucky and can't speak from experience.
m
l
July 13, 2012 2:34:25 PM

Temile said:
Don't mess with a sparking psu. Are you sure it was the psu and not some other component? I'm wondering about an internal connector or a motherboard standoff that is touching something it shouldn't. Was it the psu or the power cord?

Most likely you just had a psu that failed. I read somewhere that they are most likely to fail right off the bat and that a large number of those failures are due to being roughly handled during shipping...I've been lucky and can't speak from experience.

Yes I am sure it was the PSU. I was standing behind the computer when I turned the PSU switch on and the sparks came from the back of it. I am under the impression a wire came loose and when I installe it into the case it fell out a little more and touched something it should not have been touching.

Any ideas how long it would take to RMA and receive a new PSU?

Big bummer just building my first rig and can't use it due to PSU failure!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 13, 2012 2:39:24 PM

it be the time it takes usp or fex-x ground to get the ps to the vendor then a few days for the vendor to do there paper work then a few days more for it to come back to you. it may be quicker to send it back if it under 30 day to the pack you go it from and get it exchanged that way. i would check to see that you did not have a dropped screw in the power supply or under the mb. you dont want the next one to fry.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 13, 2012 2:47:25 PM

RMA is going to take awhile.

Is there a store around where you can pick up a psu? You may be able to get a $ refund for this psu and get a new one in the meantime: I know I would't be able to wait around with a non-working system. You system doesn't need nearly 750w so you may have a better selection...just make sure you get a quality unit. Despite your bad luck, Seasonic is top of the line. If you have your heart set on the X-750 and can't get it locally, consider buying a "backup" psu to use until you get your final unit...they are handy to have around. AnandTech just reviewed a series of cheap psus and found some quality among them:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6013/350450w-roundup-11-c...

Your system would run fine with 400w (even less, but most people want more power).
m
l
July 13, 2012 3:00:56 PM

The only local store would be bestbuy and last I checked they only had power supplies for standard at home desktop computers, nothing I would be able to use for my rig. But I AM still under the 30 day period, heres my struggle though. I have work until 4, and wouldn't be able to get to the UPS store by the time it closes. My return deadline I believe is the 16th, and I believe ups stores are closed on weekends? I'm hoping ican go that route, I'll contact newegg on my lunch and see what I can do. If it was something I did, such as a screw that's fell in or something along those lines is it still replaceable?
m
l
July 13, 2012 3:28:22 PM

Dougz3 said:
The only local store would be bestbuy and last I checked they only had power supplies for standard at home desktop computers, nothing I would be able to use for my rig. But I AM still under the 30 day period, heres my struggle though. I have work until 4, and wouldn't be able to get to the UPS store by the time it closes. My return deadline I believe is the 16th, and I believe ups stores are closed on weekends? I'm hoping ican go that route, I'll contact newegg on my lunch and see what I can do. If it was something I did, such as a screw that's fell in or something along those lines is it still replaceable?

Most UPS stores are open till 6:30 or 7 on weekdays so you should have some time if you get off at 4. Also, most are open for a good portion of the day Saturday(probably till ~5.

If you bring it in after their pickup comes, it will simply go out the next day. Weekends are excluded if it goes ground, it would go out Monday.
m
l
July 13, 2012 3:34:14 PM

Delayy said:
Most UPS stores are open till 6:30 or 7 on weekdays so you should have some time if you get off at 4. Also, most are open for a good portion of the day Saturday(probably till ~5.

If you bring it in after their pickup comes, it will simply go out the next day. Weekends are excluded if it goes ground, it would go out Monday.

I might just be able to make it on time. Depending on how long it takes to get all my wires out! I just checked my invoice and it is dated for the 15th. Do I have within 30 days of purchase or when I received the product?
m
l
July 13, 2012 3:43:09 PM

Dougz3 said:
I might just be able to make it on time. Depending on how long it takes to get all my wires out! I just checked my invoice and it is dated for the 15th. Do I have within 30 days of purchase or when I received the product?

As far as I know, if it isn't clearly stated somewhere, it is typically from the date of purchase because the date of delivery can vary slightly to throw everything off. Also, most companies don't need the item delivered by the date, just sent out to them, so save your tracking information / proof just in case.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 13, 2012 3:53:26 PM

if you cant get to a usp store see if the local mailbox ect store or shipping store is open..you may pay a few more dollars for them to ship it out but sometimes there open latter. as for the rma as long as it started before the 30 days are up. with a power supply you see or hear the screw if you shake it. if you cut a wire or pinched it you see the cut or melted part on the cables.
m
l
July 13, 2012 5:13:01 PM

Just submitted my RMA. It said as long as I submitted that by the 15th and get the item to them within 14 days of the RMA submission they will honor it. Hopefully it doesn't come back that I killed it! Thanks for the help everyone!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 13, 2012 10:20:25 PM

Remember to double check for any abnormal contact points between the motherboard and case. Make sure you didnĀ“t leave any screws below it and that all standoffs are installed, and also that none of the edges are touching the case, to avoid fryin' the new PSU. It could also have been due to a damaged power connector somewhere in the system, but the psu or contact point are more likely.
m
l
!