Noobish Cable Modem Query

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Why does my cable modem start dloading at 350kb/s and gradually keeps dropping to about 250 after some time on large downloads? I never understood why cable modems are so fast out of the gate and then slow down. I remember way back I had dsl which was the opposite, it started off slow and gradually accelerated.

<i>I pretend to know what I'm talking about.</i>

riser

Illustrious
Multiple reasons... your connection to the remote server might be slowing down..

You might need to power cycle your cable modem.

You should call tech support and have a tech come out and test your signal strength, that might be a problem.

You might have an older version of cable modem.

Are you doing other downloads or other things on your computer that might take up bandwidth?

How about a home network and someone else is on?

Do you have antivirus running? Doesn't necessarily cause a slower download, but if you have on access scanning, it'll scan each file you download or open, causing a system wide slow down.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Well i do have a linksys D wireless router but this computer connects directly to it as opposed to my brothers who utilizes the wireless connection. I have always noticed that my modem does this ever since I got it. It is a motorola surboard thats probably over 4 years old now. You think I should have Charter give me a new modem? I've been a loyal customer for years and have also got there mvp package for their digital cable.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Nope, like I said, It has always been doing this ever since I got it. I have 3mbit connection through charter yet I don't seem to be getting close to it.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
While you are choosing a location to save a file your browser has already started downloading part of it. That little chunk shows up as a big burst of speed when you actually hit save and it shows your download rate. Then it will slowly level off to your actual download rate as it collects more correct speed data.
I dont know that for an absolute fact but that is what seems to happen to me on every download through IE, mozilla, etc. I sorta doubt it is an internet connection issue because I get the same thing at work and we have a 10MB DS3. Downloads start at 1.2mb/s and slowly level off to about 1mb/s :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Awsome that is exactly what I was looking for thankyou. I even realized this myself today when I had a window for the BF2 Demo download where you choose to save it to which folder. I had it sitting there for an hour by mistake and when i clicked save and it began its download, half of it was already done. I still might look into another modem though this thing is ancient.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
My boss put in 3 T1 lines.. he calls it a T3.
I saw this from you a couple days ago, and had to chuckle... then I thought about it again... it's not a T3... it's a T.3 :lol:

(T3 is 45mbs right?)

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
LOL. We have 12 sites (on one network :)) with probably 1000 machines so we need a big internet pipe. Just to make it more fun it is a school district so we get it at 95% discount, lol. Unlike some DS3s it is a nonstop unbroken fiber going directly from our building to the SBC distro building for the city.

It must be fun to load balance 3 T1s :)

G

I beleive T3 is 22.5, OC 1 is 53.5...
So 3 X T1 is a 7-8%T3 =)

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Thanks Labbby. That prompted me to look it up... :smile:

T-3 44.736mbps (28 T-1s)

The math (28x1.544) is only 43.2mbps, but there's control signals, so 44.736 is probably correct.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

riser

Illustrious
Load Balance? HAHAHAH

No.. oh no.

He have all of our locations coming back to this point for a main server and websense (big brother for internet).

If the first T1 is full, it starts rolling over into the second line.. when that gets filled up, it goes into the 3rd.

You'd think they'd have it balanced across all 3.. but no.. so our internet runs like [-peep-] all the time from most locations.. I don't think we've ever touched the 2nd and 3rd lines.

riser

Illustrious
On the other hand I was contacted by a company for an interview on a Windows Administrator position.

They were running all Unix, ripped it out because they couldn't find support for it and put windows in. They said they want someone with a couple years of admin skills but not someone really indepth.. assuming they want to do it their way and not someone else's hardcore ways.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I'd go for it. Just suck up to what they want, that might be better than where you are :)

riser

Illustrious
Yeah.. it's on the north side of detroit, 2500 employees.. Not a big fan of a lot of areas of detroit since it's really an ethnic town.. I'm used to being a little more diversified.

Right now it stands at about a 75 minute commute.. but with traffic it can go up to 2 hours each way.. but I might be able to get relocation if I try hard enough. But detroit doesn't lack Windows Administrators either..

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Eh, that might not be worth it then. I wouldn't move to detroit no matter how much they paid me, lol.
Stay at home and do everything via RDP over vpn...

riser

Illustrious
Detroit was rated #1 party city in the US. It's not bad at all.. the suburbs are really nice.

The place is within 10 minutes of being out of the suburbs.. so it's on the very outskirts of northern detroit.

The drive would suck... and it's 24/7 oncall support myself 365 for major systems, if production were to completely go down.

But I could VPN and work from home mostly.. last job, my boss drove 90 minutes each way, but came to work each day and stayed in hotels a couple times a week.

Maybe I could do a 4-10s and get Friday off, or work from home 2 days a week.

The compensation for the job is.. very promising, plus all the huge discounts the company gets, along with bonuses and such.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I'd do anything I could to stay away from a big city, I hate em :)
I know that is where the big money is but I'm sure the cost of everything offsets the larger income. Oh well, thats just me.

riser

Illustrious
Yeah.. detroit is huge.. it's amazing how big that place is.

The money definately is there, as is the opportunity for a long lasting career.

My biggest thing is that it's 1) Michigan 2)No fault insurance 3) nothing else around there, but that might be enough for me 4) closer to Canada.

haha