So hows Windows 8 treating you?

xaephod

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
I am very reluctant to upgrade to Windows 8. Mainly from when I tried it in beta and hated metro and thought they took a well working OS and made it difficult to use.

I ask because I see that they are raising the price soon and an upgrade is only $40 which is pretty cheap.

I use my rig for business and gaming. I have no doubt that my computer will run Windows 8 perfectly, but is there any reason to upgrade except to be annoyed? If I was adding a touch screen or have a laptop with a touch screen I can see why it would be worth trying, but on my gaming pc? Any reason to upgrade over Windows 7 64?

How is your experience with Windows 8 thus far? You like it?

mahatmacoat

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I have no intention of going to Win 8. I intend to stay with 7 while it meets my needs. I imagine that to be for a goodly number of years.

To me , Win 8 is an O/S for small portable devices, not desktops, so no interest. We shall see, *IF* a variant of 8 is eventually offered which is optimised for desktops with a more traditional front end, *and* offers considerable improvements over 7 , then I "might" consider it, but as always, shifting O/S has to offer serious gains to be even remotely considered.

To be honest , I'm hoping the next 2 or 3 years will see an explosion of Linux/unix based usage, with online gamers platforms taking up the O/S . That happens, I will go Ubuntu (etc) and rid myself of the windows nonsense and their petty licenses etc for good.

G

I completely disagree. There simply isn't any applications that run on Windows 7 and not Windows 8. They are both build on the W7 Driver model in order to prevent incompatibility.

Look yes the Start menu is rubbish, but apart from that Windows 8 is amazing. Just click Desktop (I live in Desktop) when you start your computer. Pin your apps to the task bar. And you need never see metro again. It's lightning fast!

Like seriously quick, it used to take me 15 Seconds to boot Windows 7 and now it's down to a measly 7 seconds. I assume that is because Windows 8 has ditched the majority of it's registry.

But seriously, have it installed on your machine for no less of a month before you re-consider. Within a month you would have completely adjusted your working method and windows 7 will just feel like such an inconvenience.

It's so easy to find something on Windows 8, exactly the same on Windows 7 I presume but just hit Windows button and search and it displays results in an easy to understand format.

I'm not going to blow Windows 8's horn any more than I already have but I want you to know when it first come out I completely despised it and hated Microsoft for the diseased and inbred mutation of an operating system that they had conjured up from the pustule cesspit that is their minds.

alaintroll

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I agree with you MickeyLetord. I was a follower of W7, and when i tried the Developer Preview and the Consumer Preview i thought it wont be wise to upgrade. But when the final editions came out, i upgraded and i´m perfectly acustomed to it. As you said is FAST, REALLY FAST!!! And i don´t think the lack of the Start Menu is an issue, in fact i like more the new Start, i find everything faster than i did on Start :D Menu.

Works very well for me, comes with downgrade rights, and converts the license agreement to one that can be transferred to a new machine when I do a new build. I rarely use the new start screen and just use a logon task to pop into the desktop. Overall it is a much better OS than Windows 7. There is a learning curve, it does take a while for people to find the start button on the keyboard and to learn the keyboard shortcuts.

henk5066

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Windows 8 has been fine to me, my only problem with it is that FIRST robotics Software is not compatible with windows 8 but that will most likely be fixed next year.

JohnUSA

Distinguished
May 14, 2008

I highly recommend not to get Windows 8.
After thoroughly testing it I found it to be very poorly designed and very irritating to use.
Windows 8 is the worst OS I have ever used in 20 years.
Either get and use Windows 7, or wait till Microsoft releases the new Windows 9 that they are working on right now and rushing to release it ASAP as they know that they laid a huge egg with the abysmal Windows 8 and know that it is hated by many users.
You have been warned. It is now up to you my friend.

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
My situation (i7 2600k, gtx 460 1GB 25bit, 8GB Ram, 128GB Kingston Hyper X SSD), using windows 7 atm but i installed w8 for curiosity result:
World of Warcraft - same FPS ingame but 3 -4 seconds lag during ALT+TAB, in windows 7 ALT+TAb is instant..so, i uninstalled w8 for that reason only. (used lates drivers from nvidia and the lates beta, nothing resolved in this issue)
The only thing what i liked in w8 was the mail app, impressive.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
I've been happy with windows 8. There is some learning / google searching that has come up to figure a few little things out but otherwise it's been very good.
I also found that I like using the start screen more than the old start button. I treat the two identically but I found that:
1. Slamming the mouse into the corner and clicking to get to the start screen is quicker/easier than making sure you are on the old start button and
2. I found the start screen much easier to click on what I want right away and to customize.

I also run WOW and I've not had the Alt Tab issue the person above has had. But in Civ V I have noticed Alt Tab doesn't want to bring me to the desktop the first time.

It isn't perfect but I've found nothing that makes me regret upgrading from 7 pro.

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
I built a computer for my son for Christmas (a-10 5800k) installed win 7 it works fine and I don't have to use google to operate it. I bought my wife a sony vaio laptop w/ win 8.

I HATE WINDOWS 8. It operates the laptop fine - and after a month my wife does just fine with it. The O/S problem - it is not intuitive ... at all.

Example: I had to google how to shut of windows eight. Answer: Windows button and "I" at the same time.

YGBSM !!

Signed ... waiting for windows 9

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

Worst OS you've used in 20 years? If you're 20, then that may be possible. You may not have ever had the pleasure of using ME or Vista, well even 3.1 if you really think about what a nightmare windows was at that point.

How is it irritating to use? If you're referring to the metro screen, then you might be a bit overly sensitive. Your opinion might be different if you've seen metro with its active tiles fire up across three monitors in eyefinity. In addition, the metro screen can be disable and you're left with essentially a more stable 7 which handles SSD's better so nearly everything is faster. I personally don't use anything in Metro regularly, but I can respect the fact MS is "trying" to bring something new to market.

To the Op's ?. If you already have Win7 then you don't really have a reason to upgrade. Get a TN subscription and dual boot or 7 in a VM, or the other way around, if you feel like giving 8 a spin.

IMHO - People only dislike 8 because it's "different" and because its from MS. I believe it's actually an easier OS to navigate vs 7 for a power user and has been rock solid stable for me on several machines.

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
I've been using it for about a month now. I built a new PC over Christmas, and decided to purchase 8 for it. I have no regrets.

There are a lot of misconceptions floating around about Windows 8, and I feel that the majority of them come from people who haven't used it. Microsoft is kind of in a hard place. Some of their customers want something new, others want the same old. They tried to accommodate both.

There are certainly a few questionable decisions, such as why does it come with a slide to lock screen? That took me 20 seconds to disable. What is up with all of these useless apps? Those were gone in a minute or two.

I've got my most used items pinned to taskbar, not used everyday but quite often in metro, and the rest I just hit windows key, type the first few letters, and hit enter. I added an app called steam tiles, and now my currently being played steam games are right there. It's all very neat and clean.

Now, the question of whether or not to upgrade will surely come up. I don't know that I really see a point in upgrading, but if you're building a new PC then I don't see why one wouldn't. Hell, it's been going for cheaper than 7. For something that runs quicker and has a few new cool additions (I'm looking at you, sexy task manager :D ) it's a no brainer.

I am very happy with it. After installing Start8, I've never seen Windows Metro screen since I bought windows 8.

I have tons of games and programs installed, which all work great.

It's fast and performs well. People need to stop calling it such a terrible thing because metro when classic shell or start 8 fix the problem.

You should only get Windows 8 if you need to purchase a new operating system for a PC.

bigcountry

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
If your building a gaming PC atm, it's a no brainer for 15 bucks.

Heck I have even started replacing XP on my kids PC with it. I like it. Runs faster than XP even on old hardware!

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
To OP,

You will probably not get the answer you're looking for. There are just too many opinions about the OS, and the opposition/defense is quite baked in at this point. I used the original Vista when it was still in beta. It was a resource hog, but I had no problem because I had a system that could take it, and at the time I didn't need to do much complicated anyway. I switched to 7 when it was launched, mainly because by then I knew I would be getting it at school for about $8. I started using the Win 8 beta at the start of 2012 because I was curious about what the OS would be like. I upgraded to each new beta iteration, through the Release Candidate. I noticed various little changes and improvements all throughout.

I now have 8 installed on both my laptop and desktop (non-touchscreen on both). My desktop went a lot better than my laptop, only because my laptop is about seven years old right now and the AMD X1200 graphics on it are so old there is little compatibility for it. Even there, however, I was able to just go back to the laptop's manufacturer and download the Vista driver (last official driver update they had for it) and got my display working fine.

I have not experienced any critical problems. Of the few problems I've had, simply running the program in compatibility mode fixed that. Overall the system has been faster for me, and no not just because of a clean install. I haven't had the problems that people claim they have. That's not to say they are lying or anything like that, but simply that they may be experiencing something that I am not. For instance, some people shortly after 8 launched were claiming that their mouse wasn't working properly. I have never seen that on either of my installs, nor my brother's, and I have since not heard people talking about it much.

The Stat Button has become a Start Screen. Instead of launching into the desktop and heading to the bottom left corner of your screen for the start menu and looking through a list of programs in 7, in 8 you launch to a screen of tiles with all your programs, most of which will launch into your desktop when you click on them. To me the start screen isn't any less effective than the start menu. I hardly used the start menu anyway. Once I installed a program, there was usually a desktop icon. I'd drag that to the taskbar and delete the desktop link. For me then, the start menu was just a thing down there that I never touched.

As a whole I like the OS. It improved on 7 in every area i needed, and didn't do any worse in any area I need. That said, there are not a terrible amount of reasons to switch for most people who enjoy 7. That's not to say anything is bad or wrong with 8, but that there isn't a whole lot new or exciting about it. If you're into touch you'll absolutely love it I imagine. If not, you'll like it about as much as you like 7 so long as you don't get hung up on the looks of the start screen or the missing start button. Some things have moved around, but I don't see it as really being an issue of being harder to get to, as much as just put in a different place. I equate it to moving to a new house. Chances are that when you move, the house is going to be situated and laid out different than the last one. You don't necessarily store things in the same spot. Control Panel, for instance, is now accessed by the Charms menu on the right under Settings. But it's still on the start screen if you right-click and go to all apps, listed with the other systems programs. Yes, you can still game if you like. I've played StarCraft 2 with not issues at all (desktop).

My verdict? Look at these things; when will the next OS come out, can you wait that long. Unless you can get 8 for a deal from someone, the cheapest you can pay for 8 after Jan 31 is about $100, instead of $40. If you don't think you want to wait until the next OS launch, then upgrading now is probably a safe bet. Despite the grumblings in all reality it would be very unlikely the next windows OS will got back to looking like 7. They may tweak 8, and change a few things to satisfy some of the critics, but they won't go back to 8, so people will either have to get used to 8, or get used to whatever new thing they choose to do with 9. In my estimation $40 for a new OS that is an improvement of the existing is a good deal. But if you don't like it, don't just buy it for the sake of buying it.

Go to a store one more time, take a run around it there and see if you can get a better feel for it, then make your final decision.

pauldknight

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
WARNING for BIOS:

I recommend to NOT "upgrade" to Win8 if your computer uses BIOS. I did, but now I cannot access my BIOS!! Therefore, I cannot change my Boot Device Priority to boot from my DVD drive! Also, my boot time is much longer, and my USB3.0 devices are much slower. Except for these very unacceptable problems, I like my "Win8 Pro 64-bit". Absence of the Win7 Start Button is not a problem for me, as I see the Win8 Start Screen as its replacement. Because of my Win8 problems, I am still trying to find a way to restore my Win7 Image Backup

I believe it is a good idea to do a "Clean Install" of the $40 "Win8 Pro" if your computer uses UEFI. Many of the new Win8 benefits do not work with my BIOS computer, but I believe they will work with a UEFI computer.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
In an attempt to be kind before the poor pauldknight gets absolutely flamed, Windows 8 doesn't prevent you from accessing your BIOS. Modern systems however do boot very quickly meaning you may need to change the way to get to it. My motherboard came with a program to use WHILE IN WINDOWS that you have to run which reboots the system into the BIOS. I'm sure other such programs for general use are available.
Also, his longer boot times and USB are probably an issue with his bios not being correctly.

I do also agree that a fresh install is always the best choice.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

One word: Bullshit.

The only Windows 7 native application that I found not working on 8 is Acronis Disk Director 11 because it's driver won't run on 8 and Acronis devs are too lazy to patch it.

And if your problem is Modern UI, get ClassicShell for free and set it to boot directly to Desktop and disable the screen corner menu pop-ups, simple as that.

Win 8 is a huge fail. I can't stand it. It looks really nice, though. Performs like garbage. Fail.
It performs better than 7, aesthetics are subjective, get a clue.

What? Windows 8 boot manager interacts only with UEFI. If you have BIOS based system then your POST is unchanged no matter what OS you've got installed.
Hint: Press Delete during POST.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
There is no need for it unless you want to stick with the most current updates, want the latest features or you are interested in changing to the Win 8 style.

People are going to argue their points but if the OS is right for you then by all means upgrade. It offers me nothing new that i really need or really want.

I ACTUALLY OWN WINDOWS 8 AND HAVE USED IT SINCE ITS RELEASE

Windows 8 is not ready for the main stream world. On a touch based device it is awesome, for a desktop gamer the only nice feature is the updated task manager and that is IT! I have had many issues with the OS randomly deactivating after BIOS updates and driver changes/overclocking. Windows 8 just has to many issues and I ended up purchasing Start8 to get my Start Menu back and even that wasn't the original experience.

DO NOT BUY WINDOWS 8 UNTIL MICROSOFT PUTS ITS HEAD BACK ON!!!!

EDIT: After using Windows 8 I will be re installing Windows 7 on my system tonight after work.

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I have it on a removable SSD. I use it to see how it works. You really need a 27" touchscreen to use it properly. My problems are no mail pop service and no dreamscene.
Asus has been relaseing new BIOS almost every 2 weeks because of Window 8. It was not ready for primetime in my opinion.

I had Windows 8 installed on my Folding@home rig just to see what it was like. I used it for a few months and removed it. I cannot imagine using it on a daily basis without a touch screen. I don't plan on using a touch screen on my desktop workstation either, so that's a deal breaker for me. I really missed the start menu too. While trying to make it more accessable, they lost a lot of usability in my opinion. I will be staying with 7.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
As a developer I got Windows 8 in August (TechNet/Dreamspark subscribers only). It's not perfect (I somehow broke the Metro store), but I've been able to break every OS I've ever touched. It runs great, has tight integration with uEFI, and is overall faster. It's DIFFERENT, and people HATE that. The same people that hated Windows XP and installed Windows 2000, and the ones that hated Vista and stuck with XP.