Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

10MP Digital for $150.00?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 8:10:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On a hobby group I follow a fellow recently posted a message that he
bought a 10MP digital camera on eBay for $150.00! My reply was that I
had seen 10MP cameras ads in Popular Science or Polular Mechanics
magazines, by Bell & Howell. The camera is a credit card sized model
and in the fine print is says something like "10MP is interpolated".
Of course this means the camera is a lot less than 10MP. But how much
less? I don't want one, I'm just curious as to how much of a scam
this is.

Of course I cannot locate the particular B&H ad now, even after
skimming through the most recent issues of the magazines. But I've
seen it several times.

Bob Boudreau
Canada

More about : 10mp digital 150

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 11:20:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>It is probably a 4 MP, but even at 4 MP, the quality is junk.

Perhaps it's a Sigma?
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 11:31:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"railfan" <arailfan@post.com> wrote in message
news:1118661001.714862.107950@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> On a hobby group I follow a fellow recently posted a message that he
> bought a 10MP digital camera on eBay for $150.00! My reply was that I
> had seen 10MP cameras ads in Popular Science or Polular Mechanics
> magazines, by Bell & Howell. The camera is a credit card sized model
> and in the fine print is says something like "10MP is interpolated".
> Of course this means the camera is a lot less than 10MP. But how much
> less? I don't want one, I'm just curious as to how much of a scam
> this is.
>
> Of course I cannot locate the particular B&H ad now, even after
> skimming through the most recent issues of the magazines. But I've
> seen it several times.
>
> Bob Boudreau
> Canada
>
It is probably a 4 MP, but even at 4 MP, the quality is junk. Soft, poor
color, fixed focus and digital zoom only. Stay with the name brands like
Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Pentax, Olympus and others for a good camera.
John
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 12:32:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thanks for the info! I never had any intention of buying one, as I
knew it was a scam. I was just interested in what the scam was. I
have two fine Canon digitals, which work great for me!

Bob Boudreau
Canada
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:53:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

railfan wrote:
> On a hobby group I follow a fellow recently posted a message that he
> bought a 10MP digital camera on eBay for $150.00! My reply was that I
> had seen 10MP cameras ads in Popular Science or Polular Mechanics
> magazines, by Bell & Howell. The camera is a credit card sized model
> and in the fine print is says something like "10MP is interpolated".
> Of course this means the camera is a lot less than 10MP. But how much
> less? I don't want one, I'm just curious as to how much of a scam
> this is.
>
> Of course I cannot locate the particular B&H ad now, even after
> skimming through the most recent issues of the magazines. But I've
> seen it several times.
>
> Bob Boudreau
> Canada

Hi Bob...

It's 2 mp...

www.bytephoto.com/forums/t2745.html

Ken
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 3:53:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I just hold one 2 hours ago. A 10mpx by Megxon , Negxon or whatever they are
called. Blue metalic colour, similar to a Sony T7 imo :p 
and I think the sensor size is VGA only which is 640 x 480 + due to the lens
size that is even smaller than my Motorola E1000 1.2mpx camera lens.

=bob=

"railfan" <arailfan@post.com> wrote in message
news:1118661001.714862.107950@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

> Of course this means the camera is a lot less than 10MP. But how much
> less? I don't want one, I'm just curious as to how much of a scam
> this is.
>
June 14, 2005 3:53:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote in message
news:42ad8fd4$0$2477$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
>I just hold one 2 hours ago. A 10mpx by Megxon , Negxon or whatever they
>are called. Blue metalic colour, similar to a Sony T7 imo :p 
> and I think the sensor size is VGA only which is 640 x 480 + due to the
> lens size that is even smaller than my Motorola E1000 1.2mpx camera lens.
>
> =bob=
>
> "railfan" <arailfan@post.com> wrote in message
> news:1118661001.714862.107950@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>
>> Of course this means the camera is a lot less than 10MP. But how much
>> less? I don't want one, I'm just curious as to how much of a scam
>> this is.
>>
http://www.thpsales.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=11...

it interpolates (upsamples) a 10 megapixel file from a 640x480 113KB file.
This has the same spec, but without the upscaling that my freebie Aiptek
camera has. The Aiptek is not even useable as a webcam!!!
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 5:00:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <42ad6ec4$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>, "SimonLW" <anon@anon.com>
wrote:

> "railfan" <arailfan@post.com> wrote in message
> news:1118661001.714862.107950@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > On a hobby group I follow a fellow recently posted a message that he
> > bought a 10MP digital camera on eBay for $150.00! My reply was that I
> > had seen 10MP cameras ads in Popular Science or Polular Mechanics
> > magazines, by Bell & Howell. The camera is a credit card sized model
> > and in the fine print is says something like "10MP is interpolated".
> > Of course this means the camera is a lot less than 10MP. But how much
> > less? I don't want one, I'm just curious as to how much of a scam
> > this is.
> >
> > Of course I cannot locate the particular B&H ad now, even after
> > skimming through the most recent issues of the magazines. But I've
> > seen it several times.
> >
> > Bob Boudreau
> > Canada
> >
> It is probably a 4 MP, but even at 4 MP, the quality is junk. Soft, poor
> color, fixed focus and digital zoom only. Stay with the name brands like
> Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Pentax, Olympus and others for a good camera.
> John

Er... Fuji is no stranger to upsampling scams.
June 14, 2005 12:21:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Kevin McMurtrie" <mcmurtri@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
news:mcmurtri-5D2FC8.01002514062005@corp-radius.supernews.com...
> In article <42ad6ec4$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>, "SimonLW" <anon@anon.com>
> wrote:
>
>> "railfan" <arailfan@post.com> wrote in message
>> news:1118661001.714862.107950@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> > On a hobby group I follow a fellow recently posted a message that he
>> > bought a 10MP digital camera on eBay for $150.00! My reply was that I
>> > had seen 10MP cameras ads in Popular Science or Polular Mechanics
>> > magazines, by Bell & Howell. The camera is a credit card sized model
>> > and in the fine print is says something like "10MP is interpolated".
>> > Of course this means the camera is a lot less than 10MP. But how much
>> > less? I don't want one, I'm just curious as to how much of a scam
>> > this is.
>> >
>> > Of course I cannot locate the particular B&H ad now, even after
>> > skimming through the most recent issues of the magazines. But I've
>> > seen it several times.
>> >
>> > Bob Boudreau
>> > Canada
>> >
>> It is probably a 4 MP, but even at 4 MP, the quality is junk. Soft, poor
>> color, fixed focus and digital zoom only. Stay with the name brands like
>> Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Pentax, Olympus and others for a good camera.
>> John
>
> Er... Fuji is no stranger to upsampling scams.

Fuji normally pixel doubles combined with an algorithm that works. As well
as a good lens. The Bell & Howell et al are toy cameras with rather poor
lenses, they upsample a webcam quality308 K image (640x480) to produce a 10
megapixel file.

Look at the Bell & Howell specs 16 MB onboard memory, stores 141 pictures...
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 4:29:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <1oudnWpTFbxZVjPfRVn-pg@rogers.com>,
"Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote:

> "Kevin McMurtrie" <mcmurtri@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
> news:mcmurtri-5D2FC8.01002514062005@corp-radius.supernews.com...
> > In article <42ad6ec4$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>, "SimonLW" <anon@anon.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> "railfan" <arailfan@post.com> wrote in message
> >> news:1118661001.714862.107950@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> >> > On a hobby group I follow a fellow recently posted a message that he
> >> > bought a 10MP digital camera on eBay for $150.00! My reply was that I
> >> > had seen 10MP cameras ads in Popular Science or Polular Mechanics
> >> > magazines, by Bell & Howell. The camera is a credit card sized model
> >> > and in the fine print is says something like "10MP is interpolated".
> >> > Of course this means the camera is a lot less than 10MP. But how much
> >> > less? I don't want one, I'm just curious as to how much of a scam
> >> > this is.
> >> >
> >> > Of course I cannot locate the particular B&H ad now, even after
> >> > skimming through the most recent issues of the magazines. But I've
> >> > seen it several times.
> >> >
> >> > Bob Boudreau
> >> > Canada
> >> >
> >> It is probably a 4 MP, but even at 4 MP, the quality is junk. Soft, poor
> >> color, fixed focus and digital zoom only. Stay with the name brands like
> >> Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Pentax, Olympus and others for a good camera.
> >> John
> >
> > Er... Fuji is no stranger to upsampling scams.
>
> Fuji normally pixel doubles combined with an algorithm that works. As well
> as a good lens.

No algorithm can produce an optical resolution that's double the
physical sampling resolution. It's still an upsampling scam. Even
their attempt to merge two similar frames, which could technically
increase the resolution, was found to not be effective.

The only thing that kept Fuji alive was that many other cameras with
comparable physical resolutions had less effective imaging algorithms
and damaging radial blur. Some early 4MP cameras had no better
resolving power than high-end 2 and 3 MP cameras.

> The Bell & Howell et al are toy cameras with rather poor
> lenses, they upsample a webcam quality308 K image (640x480) to produce a 10
> megapixel file.
>
> Look at the Bell & Howell specs 16 MB onboard memory, stores 141 pictures...

Of course it's a toy. No argument there.
!