Noisy new rig =/ WHY!@

07tonzpau

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Hey guys, so upon your recommendations on parts and based on availability in Australia i built myself a lovely new rig - cheers for the input, i'm pretty sure i woulda blown the damn thing up if not for you all. hahah i'm not kidding...

Anyway so i've built it and the specs are as follows.

CPU i5 2500k with stock fan

GPU Gainward phantom gtx 560ti

RAM Corsair Vengence 8gb kit 2x4gb

MB ASROCK Extreme3gen3

PSU Coolermaster Gx-750W Bronze

Case Antec 300 stock fans

Wireless card TP-Link wireless N PCI

HDD WD Scorpio Black 500gb (from old laptop)

For some reason it is unexpectedly loud, i dont mean there are any screeches or bangs or anything weird or scary, but i bough each part thinking they would be much silent... this is not the case... There is a pretty loud sound that i dont really know how to describe... its like... a shitty fan.... idk either way its audible even when under no load from outside my room...

Ive tried individually stopping the fans on the case and CPU fan using a pen (probably a very bad thing to do but whatever, it still works lol) and they don't seem to be the big offenders.
The phantom GPU is known to be pretty much silent and i ran the system without it to check it wasn't noisy. it isn't, in fact it is very literally silent =) i highly recommend it.

Which leaves only one piece i guess... the PSU but ive read some reviews and its "intelligent" fan controller is meant to be pretty quiet (i think) and i dont have the balls or the "know how" to test it by turning off its fan.
Is there a program i can use to turn off the PSU fan? Just to check that its the problem.
Has anyone heard of the CM 750-GX bronze having a noise problem?

Cheers for the help guys

Solution
Hey brother, which part of Australia? I'm from Melbourne. Anyways,
I wouldn't think it would be the PSU. They are meant to be silent though they do tend to be a little louder when pushed but nothing problematic and noticeable.
Have you considered the Case? A lot of cases I've came across comes with stock fans which are really loud and annoying which I'd opt to upgrading them to better fans.

I've done you a solid and had a look at some reviews on the case. Have a look at this one.

http://www.overclockersonline.net/reviews/50001752/

Check the "Conclusion" part. Right down at the end of the page.

Hope this helps.

Maffew

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Hey brother, which part of Australia? I'm from Melbourne. Anyways,
I wouldn't think it would be the PSU. They are meant to be silent though they do tend to be a little louder when pushed but nothing problematic and noticeable.
Have you considered the Case? A lot of cases I've came across comes with stock fans which are really loud and annoying which I'd opt to upgrading them to better fans.

I've done you a solid and had a look at some reviews on the case. Have a look at this one.

http://www.overclockersonline.net/reviews/50001752/

Check the "Conclusion" part. Right down at the end of the page.

Hope this helps.

Solution

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
If you tested all the fans and there was no improvement (and I'm assuming you unplugged the case fans also) then it has to be the PSU. While I couldn't find a review dealing with noise specific to your PSU I did find one on it's little brother. My question would be are they using the same fan for both units? And if they are that's the problem. Read the section under "Noise" at this link:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/11/22/cooler_master_gx_650w_power_supply_review/9
I hope this helps you.

07tonzpau

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Goddamn shitty PSU... I was planning on grabbing a Cooler Master 720W Silent Pro Modular II for $129 but they had just sold the last and i couldn't be bothered going like 15 mins to a different shop so i grabbed the gx 750 for $109... Consider that punishment for laziness. FML

Also... is it normal that the PSU seems to blow air upwards out of the top as well as out the back... i'm actually not entirely sure how it physically is capable of it...

07tonzpau

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Im in perth btw.

Its strange, i was checking all the customer feedback on newegg and half of the people seem to say whisper quiet, so quiet they have to put their ear up to it to hear anything, the other half say its unbearably loud...

Think its worth RMA-ing? some replacements seem to be better some are the same....

Absolutely I would RMA it if you're positive thats the source of the sound. If the PSU is louder than those case fans, theres a problem. As far as the air, I believe a proper PSU fan is an intake, pulling air in the top (or bottom depending on your case and mounting) and blows the air out of the back of the case.

Yes. A PSU should exhaust air out the back.

A comment on the case fans: I am pretty sure that the Antec 300, 900, etc use the same case fans. I have 3 Antec 900 cases. I run all of the fans set to LOW. That gives good cooling pretty quietly. Anything faster did not improve system cooling. Good thing too. Setting all of the fans to HIGH generates the sound of a freakin' vacuum cleaner on your desk.

07tonzpau

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
hahah yeah i have all of the case fans on low and hell yeah the psu fan is louder than the case fan on low. it doesn't sound the same though, the PSU makes more of a gritty hum... i guess... rather than a vrooom

You think thats bad, you ever seen one of these little computers with the older BTX motherboards and wind-tunnel design? We've got one in the house. Dell XPS 200 desktop. You want to talk about a vacuum cleaner on your desk. :pt1cable: