Nokia 6230 and Orange UK

Last response: in Brands
Share
April 11, 2004 3:33:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

While out in Singapore I bought a brand new Nokia 6230 SIM free phone. All
the SIM cards worked in it like a dream except for my new UK Orange SIM
card. When I put the UK Orange SIM card in the Nokia 6320 it displays "SIM
Card Rejected". No amount of cleaning the SIM card contacts etc will get it
to work. However this SIM card works fine in all other phones.

I took the phone back to a Nokia Service Centre. They tried my Orange SIM in
some more Nokia 6320s and it did not work in any. They told me the phone was
fine and the SIM card was incompatible with this phone claiming some sort of
Orange SIM service lock.

I contacted Orange UK and they say there is no such lock and if the SIM
works in other phones it must be fine and therefore the phone is faulty.

So now I have a fantastic new phone that will not work. Orange say it is not
their problem, and Nokia say it is not theirs. Oddly other UK Mobile SIMs
work in the phone (Virgin, and even my old SIM Orange SIM is not rejected).

Is it a problem because I bought the phone in Singapore? My understanding
was that an unlocked phone is an unlocked phone and all SIMs should work. I
have never had any sort of incompatibility problems like this before.

At the moment the Nokia 6230 is a white elephant. Nokia will not refund me
any money because they claim there is nothing wrong with the phone. Orange
maintain the phone must be faulty if it rejects their SIM. Stuck with an
expensive phone that does not work.

Any advice?

-Steve

More about : nokia 6230 orange

Anonymous
April 11, 2004 3:33:39 PM

"Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
> While out in Singapore I bought a brand new Nokia 6230 SIM free phone. All
> the SIM cards worked in it like a dream except for my new UK Orange SIM
> card. When I put the UK Orange SIM card in the Nokia 6320 it displays "SIM
> Card Rejected". No amount of cleaning the SIM card contacts etc will get
it
> to work. However this SIM card works fine in all other phones.
>
> I took the phone back to a Nokia Service Centre. They tried my Orange SIM
in
> some more Nokia 6320s and it did not work in any. They told me the phone
was
> fine and the SIM card was incompatible with this phone claiming some sort
of
> Orange SIM service lock.
>
> I contacted Orange UK and they say there is no such lock and if the SIM
> works in other phones it must be fine and therefore the phone is faulty.
>
> So now I have a fantastic new phone that will not work. Orange say it is
not
> their problem, and Nokia say it is not theirs. Oddly other UK Mobile SIMs
> work in the phone (Virgin, and even my old SIM Orange SIM is not
rejected).

> Is it a problem because I bought the phone in Singapore? My understanding
> was that an unlocked phone is an unlocked phone and all SIMs should work.
> have never had any sort of incompatibility problems like this before.
>
> At the moment the Nokia 6230 is a white elephant. Nokia will not refund me
> any money because they claim there is nothing wrong with the phone. Orange
> maintain the phone must be faulty if it rejects their SIM. Stuck with an
> expensive phone that does not work.
>
> Any advice?
>
> -Steve

Steve,

this is very interesting as I have EXACTLY the same problem.

I get the sim card rejected message with my orange sim, however, when I went
to the orange shop, the staff there took one of the sims out of their phone
and tried it..it worked. So I ordered a new sim, which hasn't arrived yet,
but in the meantime I have an orange pay as you go sim which works
perfectly.

Your story does not inspire my confidence though.
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 3:33:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
> While out in Singapore I bought a brand new Nokia 6230 SIM free phone. All
> the SIM cards worked in it like a dream except for my new UK Orange SIM
> card. When I put the UK Orange SIM card in the Nokia 6320 it displays "SIM
> Card Rejected". No amount of cleaning the SIM card contacts etc will get
it
> to work. However this SIM card works fine in all other phones.
>
> I took the phone back to a Nokia Service Centre. They tried my Orange SIM
in
> some more Nokia 6320s and it did not work in any. They told me the phone
was
> fine and the SIM card was incompatible with this phone claiming some sort
of
> Orange SIM service lock.
>
> I contacted Orange UK and they say there is no such lock and if the SIM
> works in other phones it must be fine and therefore the phone is faulty.
>
> So now I have a fantastic new phone that will not work. Orange say it is
not
> their problem, and Nokia say it is not theirs. Oddly other UK Mobile SIMs
> work in the phone (Virgin, and even my old SIM Orange SIM is not
rejected).

> Is it a problem because I bought the phone in Singapore? My understanding
> was that an unlocked phone is an unlocked phone and all SIMs should work.
> have never had any sort of incompatibility problems like this before.
>
> At the moment the Nokia 6230 is a white elephant. Nokia will not refund me
> any money because they claim there is nothing wrong with the phone. Orange
> maintain the phone must be faulty if it rejects their SIM. Stuck with an
> expensive phone that does not work.
>
> Any advice?
>
> -Steve

incidently I know of at least one person who has it working without any
problems.
April 11, 2004 3:33:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
> While out in Singapore I bought a brand new Nokia 6230 SIM free phone. All
> the SIM cards worked in it like a dream except for my new UK Orange SIM
> card. When I put the UK Orange SIM card in the Nokia 6320 it displays "SIM
> Card Rejected". No amount of cleaning the SIM card contacts etc will get
it
> to work. However this SIM card works fine in all other phones.
>
> I took the phone back to a Nokia Service Centre. They tried my Orange SIM
in
> some more Nokia 6320s and it did not work in any. They told me the phone
was
> fine and the SIM card was incompatible with this phone claiming some sort
of
> Orange SIM service lock.
>
> I contacted Orange UK and they say there is no such lock and if the SIM
> works in other phones it must be fine and therefore the phone is faulty.
>
> So now I have a fantastic new phone that will not work. Orange say it is
not
> their problem, and Nokia say it is not theirs. Oddly other UK Mobile SIMs
> work in the phone (Virgin, and even my old SIM Orange SIM is not
rejected).

> Is it a problem because I bought the phone in Singapore? My understanding
> was that an unlocked phone is an unlocked phone and all SIMs should work.
> have never had any sort of incompatibility problems like this before.
>
> At the moment the Nokia 6230 is a white elephant. Nokia will not refund me
> any money because they claim there is nothing wrong with the phone. Orange
> maintain the phone must be faulty if it rejects their SIM. Stuck with an
> expensive phone that does not work.
>
> Any advice?
>
> -Steve

more updates...I've been doing some digging and several conversations with
Orange technical people...

Orange recently released new sim cards which have enhance memory and
features.These 64k cards appear to be what is causing the problem, I'm just
waiting for an 'old' sim card and then I'll let you know.
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 7:29:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Have you tried a new Orange sim in it??

Cheers,

David
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 8:45:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
> While out in Singapore I bought a brand new Nokia 6230 SIM free phone. All
> the SIM cards worked in it like a dream except for my new UK Orange SIM
> card. When I put the UK Orange SIM card in the Nokia 6320 it displays "SIM
> Card Rejected". No amount of cleaning the SIM card contacts etc will get it
> to work. However this SIM card works fine in all other phones.

Which profile Orange Sim card is it ?
8 and 9th digit
e.g.
894412 007 Profile 7
894412 109 Profile 9 (Orga)
894412 110 Profile 0 (10) (Orga)
894412 209 Profile 9 (Gemplus)
894412 210 Profile 0 (10) (Gemplus

Steve Terry
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 9:19:26 PM

"Steve Terry" <g4wwk@despammed.com> wrote in message
> "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
> > While out in Singapore I bought a brand new Nokia 6230 SIM free phone.
All
> > the SIM cards worked in it like a dream except for my new UK Orange SIM
> > card. When I put the UK Orange SIM card in the Nokia 6320 it displays
"SIM
> > Card Rejected". No amount of cleaning the SIM card contacts etc will get
it
> > to work. However this SIM card works fine in all other phones.
> >
> Which profile Orange Sim card is it ?
> 8 and 9th digit
> e.g.
> 894412 007 Profile 7
> 894412 109 Profile 9 (Orga)
> 894412 110 Profile 0 (10) (Orga)
> 894412 209 Profile 9 (Gemplus)
> 894412 210 Profile 0 (10) (Gemplus
>
> Steve Terry

the number on my SIM is

894412 214 < Doesn't work "SIM Card Rejected message"

894412 115 < Pay-as-you-go and does work

I'd be interested to see what the OP's number is, as this might help when
Orange technical services phone me back and hopefully I can cross reference
when my new replacement SIM arrives
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 9:29:18 PM

"Alistair" <forget_it> wrote in message

> "Steve Terry" <g4wwk@despammed.com> wrote in message
> > "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > While out in Singapore I bought a brand new Nokia 6230 SIM free phone.
> All
> > > the SIM cards worked in it like a dream except for my new UK Orange SIM
> > > card. When I put the UK Orange SIM card in the Nokia 6320 it displays
> "SIM
> > > Card Rejected". No amount of cleaning the SIM card contacts etc will get
> it
> > > to work. However this SIM card works fine in all other phones.
> > >
> > Which profile Orange Sim card is it ?
> > 8 and 9th digit
> > e.g.
> > 894412 007 Profile 7
> > 894412 109 Profile 9 (Orga)
> > 894412 110 Profile 0 (10) (Orga)
> > 894412 209 Profile 9 (Gemplus)
> > 894412 210 Profile 0 (10) (Gemplus
> > Steve Terry
>
> the number on my SIM is
>
> 894412 214 < Doesn't work "SIM Card Rejected message"
>
> 894412 115 < Pay-as-you-go and does work
>
> I'd be interested to see what the OP's number is, as this might help when
> Orange technical services phone me back and hopefully I can cross reference
> when my new replacement SIM arrives

So there's something about 14 profile (possibly made by gemplus) that 6230 don't
like ?
Ask OCS for a Orga 15 profile Sim

Steve Terry
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 2:28:25 AM

Steve Terry wrote:
> "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>While out in Singapore I bought a brand new Nokia 6230 SIM free phone. All
>>the SIM cards worked in it like a dream except for my new UK Orange SIM
>>card. When I put the UK Orange SIM card in the Nokia 6320 it displays "SIM
>>Card Rejected". No amount of cleaning the SIM card contacts etc will get it
>>to work. However this SIM card works fine in all other phones.
>>

> Which profile Orange Sim card is it ?
> 8 and 9th digit
> e.g.
> 894412 007 Profile 7
> 894412 109 Profile 9 (Orga)
> 894412 110 Profile 0 (10) (Orga)
> 894412 209 Profile 9 (Gemplus)
> 894412 210 Profile 0 (10) (Gemplus
>
> Steve Terry

new contract sim
8944112 114
got it 2 weeks ago. (body of the sim medium blue with bright orange logo
top right corner)
April 12, 2004 4:53:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Thanks for all the replies, it is starting to make sense. It looks like a
certain type of Orange SIM is incompatable with this phone.

> Which profile Orange Sim card is it ?
> 8 and 9th digit

Mine is: 894412 21441

So 14 ?

> Orange recently released new sim cards which have enhance memory and
> features.These 64k cards appear to be what is causing the problem, I'm
just
> waiting for an 'old' sim card and then I'll let you know.

Yes it is one of these recently released SIM cards.

Will Orange be able to issue me with a different model SIM card, or even
re-activate my old one which is an 09 ? With 8Mbs of phone memory and 256Mb
MMC card I hardly need 64K on the SIM.

> Ask OCS for a Orga 15 profile Sim

Whats this? Will the Orange staff know what I am talking about?

> Providing your sim isn't damaged and in good health then I believe Nokia
have not
> catered for this version of Sim in the design of the 6230 therefore
> watch out for a new software/firmware releases from Nokia.

Thats a bit bad if the phone will only work with some SIM cards. Also
according to Orange this phone is due out on their network this week. Surely
they will have tested this with their new SIMs? Or will the UK Orange phones
have different software. Although the Nokia service centre told me there is
no new software available yet.

So far both Nokia Service Centre and Orange have been woeful in the lack of
technical knowledge displayed on this subject of SIMs and Phones. Armed with
the responses on here will have another go. Neither phone nor SIM would
appear to be faulty, but an incompatability problem. Which probably means
neither will fall over themselves to fix.

> On another note I was wondering don't you think the 6230 is dog ugly
> especially after previous stylish 6310's, 6210's even the two tone
> 6110's had class? I cant get used to it at all.

While it won't win any design awards, its an inoffensive very functional
phone. I have a silver cover whch I do not like, the black cover looks much
better so will probably change to this. Minor grumble that the buttons
aren't as easy to use as my 6610.

-Steve
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 7:57:12 PM

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:33:38 +0800, "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote:

>At the moment the Nokia 6230 is a white elephant. Nokia will not refund me
>any money because they claim there is nothing wrong with the phone. Orange
>maintain the phone must be faulty if it rejects their SIM. Stuck with an
>expensive phone that does not work.

Works fine with my oldish (7 years) UK contract Orange SIM.

Gav
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 9:09:53 PM

"Gav" <gavs_usenet@mungedup.swissonline.ch.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:33:38 +0800, "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote:
>

> >At the moment the Nokia 6230 is a white elephant. Nokia will not refund
me
> >any money because they claim there is nothing wrong with the phone.
Orange
> >maintain the phone must be faulty if it rejects their SIM. Stuck with an
> >expensive phone that does not work.
>
> Works fine with my oldish (7 years) UK contract Orange SIM.
>

> Gav

My replacement Sim has yet to arive so I can't check out our "14" theory
just yet.

maybe tomorrow, bloody hope so!!!
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 11:25:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
<snip>
> At the moment the Nokia 6230 is a white elephant. Nokia will not refund me
> any money because they claim there is nothing wrong with the phone. Orange
> maintain the phone must be faulty if it rejects their SIM. Stuck with an
> expensive phone that does not work.
> Any advice?
> -Steve

I would guess Nokia will bring out a firmware update with better Sim
compatibility, I remember there used to be a problem with early Nokia 6150,
and some 9 an 0 profile Sims preventing Sim clock stopping.
Late version 6150 firmware fixed that problem

Steve Terry
April 15, 2004 2:09:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

After learning what I had on here I asked Orange for a new/different SIM and
here is the response:

> Dear Steve
>
> Thank you for your mail regarding Nokia 6230.
>
> I am sorry to learn you have been experiencing problems.
>
> At present Orange have not released their version of the Nokia
> 6230. Orange phones have different software to that of the
> manufacturers, due to the network services we offer. I believe
> the problems you are experiencing are due to using a non Orange handset.
>
> Unfortunately we can only supply SIM cards for your registered handset.
>
> I trust the above information is of assistance.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Orange Customer Services

Non-Orange Handset? Since when did I have to used an Orange handset?

"Unfortunately we can only supply SIM cards for your registered handset. "

What is to stop me registering my new 6230 Handset?

Infact they never knew I had my old Nokia 6610, bought that direct, and they
still sent me SIMs.

Can they do this - surely making SIMs that only worked in tweaked Orange
Nokia software is against fair competition?

At leat Orange Tech support bother replying. Nokia don't. Looks like another
bug ridden handset from Nokia.

-Steve
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 2:09:18 AM

> After learning what I had on here I asked Orange for a new/different SIM
and
> here is the response:
>
> > Dear Steve
> >
> > Thank you for your mail regarding Nokia 6230.
> >
> > I am sorry to learn you have been experiencing problems.
> >
> > At present Orange have not released their version of the Nokia
> > 6230. Orange phones have different software to that of the
> > manufacturers, due to the network services we offer. I believe
> > the problems you are experiencing are due to using a non Orange handset.
> >
> > Unfortunately we can only supply SIM cards for your registered handset.
> >
> > I trust the above information is of assistance.
> >
> > Kind regards
> >
> > Orange Customer Services
>
> Non-Orange Handset? Since when did I have to used an Orange handset?
>
> "Unfortunately we can only supply SIM cards for your registered handset. "
>
> What is to stop me registering my new 6230 Handset?
>
> Infact they never knew I had my old Nokia 6610, bought that direct, and
they
> still sent me SIMs.
>
> Can they do this - surely making SIMs that only worked in tweaked Orange
> Nokia software is against fair competition?
>
> At leat Orange Tech support bother replying. Nokia don't. Looks like
another
> bug ridden handset from Nokia.
>
> -Steve

this is not good...

Orange are reportedly releasing the 6230 in May so I might have to struggle
until then.

I'll be phoning them tomorrow if my SIM that I asked for 2 WEEKS
AGO!!...hasn't arrived. and I'll see what they have to say, maybe the same
as the response that you got, but we'll see.
April 15, 2004 2:09:18 AM

Steve wrote:
> After learning what I had on here I asked Orange for a new/different SIM and
> here is the response:
>>
>>At present Orange have not released their version of the Nokia
>>6230. Orange phones have different software to that of the
>>manufacturers, due to the network services we offer. I believe
>>the problems you are experiencing are due to using a non Orange handset.

It looks like some new Nokias don't support PCN features like Line 2 and
the Voicemail spool icon because Nokia want the phone released quickly
and making them money (the 6600 was also delayed on Orange for the same
reason). Most networks aren't PCN so Nokia don't want to delay the
release just for that.

So Orange have to wait until Nokia release a later version of the
firmware which does support PCN features.

But there's no mystical Orange version of the firmware. The 6230 will
probably be released on T-Mobile (also a PCN network) at about the same
time. Or maybe a little sooner as T-Mobile don't have a manual mangling
department any more.
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 2:09:18 AM

Steve wrote:
> "Unfortunately we can only supply SIM cards for your registered handset. "

Get them to supply an Orga 15 for your registered handset then... :-p

Ben
April 15, 2004 2:09:19 AM

"

> Get them to supply an Orga 15 for your registered handset then... :-p
>
> Ben

and what exactly IS an ORGA 15 SIM??
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 2:09:20 AM

> "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Steve wrote:
> > > "Unfortunately we can only supply SIM cards for your registered handset.
> "
> >
> > Get them to supply an Orga 15 for your registered handset then... :-p
> > Ben
>
> and what exactly IS an ORGA 15 SIM??

It's a 894412 115 Sim of course

The presumption being new Gemplus Sims aren't compatible with 6230 ?

Steve Terry
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 2:09:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

> > and what exactly IS an ORGA 15 SIM??
> >
> It's a 894412 115 Sim of course
>
> The presumption being new Gemplus Sims aren't compatible with 6230 ?
>
> Steve Terry

in that case I should really see if I can get one...at the moment I can't
get ANY sim card...can't believe it's taking so long, postal strike or not!!
April 15, 2004 3:14:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Steve posted the following for all to hear...
> Non-Orange Handset? Since when did I have to used an Orange handset?

Since you signed the contract!

> "Unfortunately we can only supply SIM cards for your registered handset. "
>
> What is to stop me registering my new 6230 Handset?

Orange won't let you.

> Infact they never knew I had my old Nokia 6610, bought that direct, and they
> still sent me SIMs.

A replacement SIM probably won't do you any good, like most newly-
released Nokia phones it's probably riddled with bugs.

> Can they do this - surely making SIMs that only worked in tweaked Orange
> Nokia software is against fair competition?

They haven't tweaked anything really, but if it you want a new SIM just
pay the £15.

> At leat Orange Tech support bother replying. Nokia don't. Looks like another
> bug ridden handset from Nokia.

As per normal then!
--
www.unlockingshop.co.uk
change 'spam' to 'info' to email

> "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
> <snip>
> > At the moment the Nokia 6230 is a white elephant. Nokia will not refund
me
> > any money because they claim there is nothing wrong with the phone.
Orange
> > maintain the phone must be faulty if it rejects their SIM. Stuck with an
> > expensive phone that does not work.
> > Any advice?
> > -Steve
> >
> I would guess Nokia will bring out a firmware update with better Sim
> compatibility, I remember there used to be a problem with early Nokia
6150,
> and some 9 an 0 profile Sims preventing Sim clock stopping.
> Late version 6150 firmware fixed that problem
>
> Steve Terry

OK, spoke to OCS this morning as STILL no sim card, they tell me that they
will send me another one out today.

They also say that I cannot request a particular profile..all they can send
me is the standard SIM...which probably means I'll get another 14 profile
which wont f****g work!!!!

AND...I have now been without my phone for 2 weeks (my original number). I
asked if they could temporarily divert my old number to my new number so
that at least I can stop missing buiness calls...they tell me that this is
not possible!!...they can't divert calls!!

what????
April 15, 2004 2:16:07 PM

Alistair wrote:
> AND...I have now been without my phone for 2 weeks (my original number). I
> asked if they could temporarily divert my old number to my new number so
> that at least I can stop missing buiness calls...they tell me that this is
> not possible!!...they can't divert calls!!
>
> what????

Everyphone should still be working. (Is it?)

Call 330 from your old number and divert it to your new number.

Set the 'no answer' divert from your new number to divert to the
answerphone in 25 seconds, not 30.

It sounds like you'll need to borrow someone's phone and put your SIMs
in it to do this.
April 15, 2004 3:50:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Sounds like you're falling foul of the blinkers worn by CS.

Contact the Orange Executive Office asap; they should be able to sort
it out for you

Orange executive office
executive.office@orange.co.uk
50 George Street
LONDON
W1U 7DZ
020 7984 1886
020 7984 1602
0870 870 0862
April 20, 2004 12:31:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Got fed up of getting emails from Orange UK telling me the Nokia 6230 is
faulty so rang them and asked them to re-activate my old orange SIM (profile
9) which I still have.

Suprisingly they said no problems. Only snag is that apparently SIM Updates
do not work if you are roaming, and I am currently abroad. Will get my old
SIM activated when I get to the back the UK when it gets a bit warmer. Or
maybe Nokia might bring out some fixed software before then .Some hope!

A few other bugs I have noticed on the phone. I could not copy anything to
the MMC card from my PC until I had given the MMC card a name. Also using
Bluetooth I cannot transfer any files with a .txt extention. I have to
rename them first. Odd.

Also can someone tell m how I add stuff on the MMC card to a play list. The
manual mentions you can do this but does not say how.

-Steve
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 12:31:26 AM

> Got fed up of getting emails from Orange UK telling me the Nokia 6230 is
> faulty so rang them and asked them to re-activate my old orange SIM
(profile
> 9) which I still have.
>
> Suprisingly they said no problems. Only snag is that apparently SIM
Updates
> do not work if you are roaming, and I am currently abroad. Will get my
old
> SIM activated when I get to the back the UK when it gets a bit warmer. Or
> maybe Nokia might bring out some fixed software before then .Some hope!
>
> A few other bugs I have noticed on the phone. I could not copy anything to
> the MMC card from my PC until I had given the MMC card a name. Also using
> Bluetooth I cannot transfer any files with a .txt extention. I have to
> rename them first. Odd.
>
> Also can someone tell m how I add stuff on the MMC card to a play list.
The
> manual mentions you can do this but does not say how.
>
> -Steve

can you believe I STILL haven't received a replacement SIM??

they claim to have sent 2 now!!
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 12:31:26 AM

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:31:25 +0800, "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote:

>Also can someone tell m how I add stuff on the MMC card to a play list. The
>manual mentions you can do this but does not say how.

You can only add mp3s in the root directory of the MMC to the
playlist. Definitely something that needs to be fixed.

Gav
April 20, 2004 2:06:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Steve posted the following for all to hear...
> Got fed up of getting emails from Orange UK telling me the Nokia 6230 is
> faulty so rang them and asked them to re-activate my old orange SIM (profile
> 9) which I still have.

Launch now delayed until mid-June due to software bugs.

Nice one Nokia.
--
www.unlockingshop.co.uk
change 'spam' to 'info' to email
SonyEricsson T610 unlock/unbrand - £15
Motorola remote unlocking back - £20
April 20, 2004 2:07:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Alistair" <forget_it> posted the following for all to hear...
> can you believe I STILL haven't received a replacement SIM??
> they claim to have sent 2 now!!

There is/was a postal strike in the oxford area where Orange's warehouse
is - it was affecting all replacement equipment sending. If the strike
is over they will now be clearing the backlog.
--
www.unlockingshop.co.uk
change 'spam' to 'info' to email
SonyEricsson T610 unlock/unbrand - £15
Motorola remote unlocking back - £20
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 4:06:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
> While out in Singapore I bought a brand new Nokia 6230 SIM free phone. All
> the SIM cards worked in it like a dream except for my new UK Orange SIM
> card. When I put the UK Orange SIM card in the Nokia 6320 it displays "SIM
> Card Rejected". No amount of cleaning the SIM card contacts etc will get
it
> to work. However this SIM card works fine in all other phones.
>
> I took the phone back to a Nokia Service Centre. They tried my Orange SIM
in
> some more Nokia 6320s and it did not work in any. They told me the phone
was
> fine and the SIM card was incompatible with this phone claiming some sort
of
> Orange SIM service lock.
>
> I contacted Orange UK and they say there is no such lock and if the SIM
> works in other phones it must be fine and therefore the phone is faulty.
>
> So now I have a fantastic new phone that will not work. Orange say it is
not
> their problem, and Nokia say it is not theirs. Oddly other UK Mobile SIMs
> work in the phone (Virgin, and even my old SIM Orange SIM is not
rejected).

> Is it a problem because I bought the phone in Singapore? My understanding
> was that an unlocked phone is an unlocked phone and all SIMs should work.
> have never had any sort of incompatibility problems like this before.
>
> At the moment the Nokia 6230 is a white elephant. Nokia will not refund me
> any money because they claim there is nothing wrong with the phone. Orange
> maintain the phone must be faulty if it rejects their SIM. Stuck with an
> expensive phone that does not work.
>
> Any advice?
>
> -Steve

I received a new SIM this morning from orange

894412 414

yup..a "14" again by the look of it...

however..put it into the phone, contacted orange to activate..and....working
perfectly!!!

none of the previous messing about of forcing manual network selection or
switching on and off etc..

SIM contacts are completely different layout from the old one, maybe this
indicates a different supplier??...who knows...but it works!!..YAY!!!!
April 21, 2004 4:21:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

> I received a new SIM this morning from orange
>
> 894412 414
>
> yup..a "14" again by the look of it...
>
> however..put it into the phone, contacted orange to
activate..and....working
> perfectly!!!
>
> none of the previous messing about of forcing manual network selection or
> switching on and off etc..
>
> SIM contacts are completely different layout from the old one, maybe this
> indicates a different supplier??...who knows...but it works!!..YAY!!!!

Any chance of a digital photo of it, so we can see the layout? I though all
SIMs were the same layout??

Cheers,

-Steve
!