Nokia 6230 and Orange UK

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

While out in Singapore I bought a brand new Nokia 6230 SIM free phone. All
the SIM cards worked in it like a dream except for my new UK Orange SIM
card. When I put the UK Orange SIM card in the Nokia 6320 it displays "SIM
Card Rejected". No amount of cleaning the SIM card contacts etc will get it
to work. However this SIM card works fine in all other phones.

I took the phone back to a Nokia Service Centre. They tried my Orange SIM in
some more Nokia 6320s and it did not work in any. They told me the phone was
fine and the SIM card was incompatible with this phone claiming some sort of
Orange SIM service lock.

I contacted Orange UK and they say there is no such lock and if the SIM
works in other phones it must be fine and therefore the phone is faulty.

So now I have a fantastic new phone that will not work. Orange say it is not
their problem, and Nokia say it is not theirs. Oddly other UK Mobile SIMs
work in the phone (Virgin, and even my old SIM Orange SIM is not rejected).

Is it a problem because I bought the phone in Singapore? My understanding
was that an unlocked phone is an unlocked phone and all SIMs should work. I
have never had any sort of incompatibility problems like this before.

At the moment the Nokia 6230 is a white elephant. Nokia will not refund me
any money because they claim there is nothing wrong with the phone. Orange
maintain the phone must be faulty if it rejects their SIM. Stuck with an
expensive phone that does not work.

Any advice?

-Steve
30 answers Last reply
More about nokia 6230 orange
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
    > While out in Singapore I bought a brand new Nokia 6230 SIM free phone. All
    > the SIM cards worked in it like a dream except for my new UK Orange SIM
    > card. When I put the UK Orange SIM card in the Nokia 6320 it displays "SIM
    > Card Rejected". No amount of cleaning the SIM card contacts etc will get
    it
    > to work. However this SIM card works fine in all other phones.
    >
    > I took the phone back to a Nokia Service Centre. They tried my Orange SIM
    in
    > some more Nokia 6320s and it did not work in any. They told me the phone
    was
    > fine and the SIM card was incompatible with this phone claiming some sort
    of
    > Orange SIM service lock.
    >
    > I contacted Orange UK and they say there is no such lock and if the SIM
    > works in other phones it must be fine and therefore the phone is faulty.
    >
    > So now I have a fantastic new phone that will not work. Orange say it is
    not
    > their problem, and Nokia say it is not theirs. Oddly other UK Mobile SIMs
    > work in the phone (Virgin, and even my old SIM Orange SIM is not
    rejected).

    > Is it a problem because I bought the phone in Singapore? My understanding
    > was that an unlocked phone is an unlocked phone and all SIMs should work.
    > have never had any sort of incompatibility problems like this before.
    >
    > At the moment the Nokia 6230 is a white elephant. Nokia will not refund me
    > any money because they claim there is nothing wrong with the phone. Orange
    > maintain the phone must be faulty if it rejects their SIM. Stuck with an
    > expensive phone that does not work.
    >
    > Any advice?
    >
    > -Steve

    Steve,

    this is very interesting as I have EXACTLY the same problem.

    I get the sim card rejected message with my orange sim, however, when I went
    to the orange shop, the staff there took one of the sims out of their phone
    and tried it..it worked. So I ordered a new sim, which hasn't arrived yet,
    but in the meantime I have an orange pay as you go sim which works
    perfectly.

    Your story does not inspire my confidence though.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
    > While out in Singapore I bought a brand new Nokia 6230 SIM free phone. All
    > the SIM cards worked in it like a dream except for my new UK Orange SIM
    > card. When I put the UK Orange SIM card in the Nokia 6320 it displays "SIM
    > Card Rejected". No amount of cleaning the SIM card contacts etc will get
    it
    > to work. However this SIM card works fine in all other phones.
    >
    > I took the phone back to a Nokia Service Centre. They tried my Orange SIM
    in
    > some more Nokia 6320s and it did not work in any. They told me the phone
    was
    > fine and the SIM card was incompatible with this phone claiming some sort
    of
    > Orange SIM service lock.
    >
    > I contacted Orange UK and they say there is no such lock and if the SIM
    > works in other phones it must be fine and therefore the phone is faulty.
    >
    > So now I have a fantastic new phone that will not work. Orange say it is
    not
    > their problem, and Nokia say it is not theirs. Oddly other UK Mobile SIMs
    > work in the phone (Virgin, and even my old SIM Orange SIM is not
    rejected).

    > Is it a problem because I bought the phone in Singapore? My understanding
    > was that an unlocked phone is an unlocked phone and all SIMs should work.
    > have never had any sort of incompatibility problems like this before.
    >
    > At the moment the Nokia 6230 is a white elephant. Nokia will not refund me
    > any money because they claim there is nothing wrong with the phone. Orange
    > maintain the phone must be faulty if it rejects their SIM. Stuck with an
    > expensive phone that does not work.
    >
    > Any advice?
    >
    > -Steve

    incidently I know of at least one person who has it working without any
    problems.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
    > While out in Singapore I bought a brand new Nokia 6230 SIM free phone. All
    > the SIM cards worked in it like a dream except for my new UK Orange SIM
    > card. When I put the UK Orange SIM card in the Nokia 6320 it displays "SIM
    > Card Rejected". No amount of cleaning the SIM card contacts etc will get
    it
    > to work. However this SIM card works fine in all other phones.
    >
    > I took the phone back to a Nokia Service Centre. They tried my Orange SIM
    in
    > some more Nokia 6320s and it did not work in any. They told me the phone
    was
    > fine and the SIM card was incompatible with this phone claiming some sort
    of
    > Orange SIM service lock.
    >
    > I contacted Orange UK and they say there is no such lock and if the SIM
    > works in other phones it must be fine and therefore the phone is faulty.
    >
    > So now I have a fantastic new phone that will not work. Orange say it is
    not
    > their problem, and Nokia say it is not theirs. Oddly other UK Mobile SIMs
    > work in the phone (Virgin, and even my old SIM Orange SIM is not
    rejected).

    > Is it a problem because I bought the phone in Singapore? My understanding
    > was that an unlocked phone is an unlocked phone and all SIMs should work.
    > have never had any sort of incompatibility problems like this before.
    >
    > At the moment the Nokia 6230 is a white elephant. Nokia will not refund me
    > any money because they claim there is nothing wrong with the phone. Orange
    > maintain the phone must be faulty if it rejects their SIM. Stuck with an
    > expensive phone that does not work.
    >
    > Any advice?
    >
    > -Steve

    more updates...I've been doing some digging and several conversations with
    Orange technical people...

    Orange recently released new sim cards which have enhance memory and
    features.These 64k cards appear to be what is causing the problem, I'm just
    waiting for an 'old' sim card and then I'll let you know.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    Have you tried a new Orange sim in it??

    Cheers,

    David
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
    > While out in Singapore I bought a brand new Nokia 6230 SIM free phone. All
    > the SIM cards worked in it like a dream except for my new UK Orange SIM
    > card. When I put the UK Orange SIM card in the Nokia 6320 it displays "SIM
    > Card Rejected". No amount of cleaning the SIM card contacts etc will get it
    > to work. However this SIM card works fine in all other phones.

    Which profile Orange Sim card is it ?
    8 and 9th digit
    e.g.
    894412 007 Profile 7
    894412 109 Profile 9 (Orga)
    894412 110 Profile 0 (10) (Orga)
    894412 209 Profile 9 (Gemplus)
    894412 210 Profile 0 (10) (Gemplus

    Steve Terry
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    "Steve Terry" <g4wwk@despammed.com> wrote in message
    > "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > While out in Singapore I bought a brand new Nokia 6230 SIM free phone.
    All
    > > the SIM cards worked in it like a dream except for my new UK Orange SIM
    > > card. When I put the UK Orange SIM card in the Nokia 6320 it displays
    "SIM
    > > Card Rejected". No amount of cleaning the SIM card contacts etc will get
    it
    > > to work. However this SIM card works fine in all other phones.
    > >
    > Which profile Orange Sim card is it ?
    > 8 and 9th digit
    > e.g.
    > 894412 007 Profile 7
    > 894412 109 Profile 9 (Orga)
    > 894412 110 Profile 0 (10) (Orga)
    > 894412 209 Profile 9 (Gemplus)
    > 894412 210 Profile 0 (10) (Gemplus
    >
    > Steve Terry

    the number on my SIM is

    894412 214 < Doesn't work "SIM Card Rejected message"

    894412 115 < Pay-as-you-go and does work

    I'd be interested to see what the OP's number is, as this might help when
    Orange technical services phone me back and hopefully I can cross reference
    when my new replacement SIM arrives
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    "Alistair" <forget_it> wrote in message

    > "Steve Terry" <g4wwk@despammed.com> wrote in message
    > > "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > > While out in Singapore I bought a brand new Nokia 6230 SIM free phone.
    > All
    > > > the SIM cards worked in it like a dream except for my new UK Orange SIM
    > > > card. When I put the UK Orange SIM card in the Nokia 6320 it displays
    > "SIM
    > > > Card Rejected". No amount of cleaning the SIM card contacts etc will get
    > it
    > > > to work. However this SIM card works fine in all other phones.
    > > >
    > > Which profile Orange Sim card is it ?
    > > 8 and 9th digit
    > > e.g.
    > > 894412 007 Profile 7
    > > 894412 109 Profile 9 (Orga)
    > > 894412 110 Profile 0 (10) (Orga)
    > > 894412 209 Profile 9 (Gemplus)
    > > 894412 210 Profile 0 (10) (Gemplus
    > > Steve Terry
    >
    > the number on my SIM is
    >
    > 894412 214 < Doesn't work "SIM Card Rejected message"
    >
    > 894412 115 < Pay-as-you-go and does work
    >
    > I'd be interested to see what the OP's number is, as this might help when
    > Orange technical services phone me back and hopefully I can cross reference
    > when my new replacement SIM arrives

    So there's something about 14 profile (possibly made by gemplus) that 6230 don't
    like ?
    Ask OCS for a Orga 15 profile Sim

    Steve Terry
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    Steve Terry wrote:
    > "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >>While out in Singapore I bought a brand new Nokia 6230 SIM free phone. All
    >>the SIM cards worked in it like a dream except for my new UK Orange SIM
    >>card. When I put the UK Orange SIM card in the Nokia 6320 it displays "SIM
    >>Card Rejected". No amount of cleaning the SIM card contacts etc will get it
    >>to work. However this SIM card works fine in all other phones.
    >>

    > Which profile Orange Sim card is it ?
    > 8 and 9th digit
    > e.g.
    > 894412 007 Profile 7
    > 894412 109 Profile 9 (Orga)
    > 894412 110 Profile 0 (10) (Orga)
    > 894412 209 Profile 9 (Gemplus)
    > 894412 210 Profile 0 (10) (Gemplus
    >
    > Steve Terry

    new contract sim
    8944112 114
    got it 2 weeks ago. (body of the sim medium blue with bright orange logo
    top right corner)
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    Thanks for all the replies, it is starting to make sense. It looks like a
    certain type of Orange SIM is incompatable with this phone.

    > Which profile Orange Sim card is it ?
    > 8 and 9th digit

    Mine is: 894412 21441

    So 14 ?

    > Orange recently released new sim cards which have enhance memory and
    > features.These 64k cards appear to be what is causing the problem, I'm
    just
    > waiting for an 'old' sim card and then I'll let you know.

    Yes it is one of these recently released SIM cards.

    Will Orange be able to issue me with a different model SIM card, or even
    re-activate my old one which is an 09 ? With 8Mbs of phone memory and 256Mb
    MMC card I hardly need 64K on the SIM.

    > Ask OCS for a Orga 15 profile Sim

    Whats this? Will the Orange staff know what I am talking about?

    > Providing your sim isn't damaged and in good health then I believe Nokia
    have not
    > catered for this version of Sim in the design of the 6230 therefore
    > watch out for a new software/firmware releases from Nokia.

    Thats a bit bad if the phone will only work with some SIM cards. Also
    according to Orange this phone is due out on their network this week. Surely
    they will have tested this with their new SIMs? Or will the UK Orange phones
    have different software. Although the Nokia service centre told me there is
    no new software available yet.

    So far both Nokia Service Centre and Orange have been woeful in the lack of
    technical knowledge displayed on this subject of SIMs and Phones. Armed with
    the responses on here will have another go. Neither phone nor SIM would
    appear to be faulty, but an incompatability problem. Which probably means
    neither will fall over themselves to fix.

    > On another note I was wondering don't you think the 6230 is dog ugly
    > especially after previous stylish 6310's, 6210's even the two tone
    > 6110's had class? I cant get used to it at all.

    While it won't win any design awards, its an inoffensive very functional
    phone. I have a silver cover whch I do not like, the black cover looks much
    better so will probably change to this. Minor grumble that the buttons
    aren't as easy to use as my 6610.

    -Steve
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:33:38 +0800, "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote:

    >At the moment the Nokia 6230 is a white elephant. Nokia will not refund me
    >any money because they claim there is nothing wrong with the phone. Orange
    >maintain the phone must be faulty if it rejects their SIM. Stuck with an
    >expensive phone that does not work.

    Works fine with my oldish (7 years) UK contract Orange SIM.

    Gav
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    "Gav" <gavs_usenet@mungedup.swissonline.ch.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:33:38 +0800, "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    > >At the moment the Nokia 6230 is a white elephant. Nokia will not refund
    me
    > >any money because they claim there is nothing wrong with the phone.
    Orange
    > >maintain the phone must be faulty if it rejects their SIM. Stuck with an
    > >expensive phone that does not work.
    >
    > Works fine with my oldish (7 years) UK contract Orange SIM.
    >

    > Gav

    My replacement Sim has yet to arive so I can't check out our "14" theory
    just yet.

    maybe tomorrow, bloody hope so!!!
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > At the moment the Nokia 6230 is a white elephant. Nokia will not refund me
    > any money because they claim there is nothing wrong with the phone. Orange
    > maintain the phone must be faulty if it rejects their SIM. Stuck with an
    > expensive phone that does not work.
    > Any advice?
    > -Steve

    I would guess Nokia will bring out a firmware update with better Sim
    compatibility, I remember there used to be a problem with early Nokia 6150,
    and some 9 an 0 profile Sims preventing Sim clock stopping.
    Late version 6150 firmware fixed that problem

    Steve Terry
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    After learning what I had on here I asked Orange for a new/different SIM and
    here is the response:

    > Dear Steve
    >
    > Thank you for your mail regarding Nokia 6230.
    >
    > I am sorry to learn you have been experiencing problems.
    >
    > At present Orange have not released their version of the Nokia
    > 6230. Orange phones have different software to that of the
    > manufacturers, due to the network services we offer. I believe
    > the problems you are experiencing are due to using a non Orange handset.
    >
    > Unfortunately we can only supply SIM cards for your registered handset.
    >
    > I trust the above information is of assistance.
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > Orange Customer Services

    Non-Orange Handset? Since when did I have to used an Orange handset?

    "Unfortunately we can only supply SIM cards for your registered handset. "

    What is to stop me registering my new 6230 Handset?

    Infact they never knew I had my old Nokia 6610, bought that direct, and they
    still sent me SIMs.

    Can they do this - surely making SIMs that only worked in tweaked Orange
    Nokia software is against fair competition?

    At leat Orange Tech support bother replying. Nokia don't. Looks like another
    bug ridden handset from Nokia.

    -Steve
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    > After learning what I had on here I asked Orange for a new/different SIM
    and
    > here is the response:
    >
    > > Dear Steve
    > >
    > > Thank you for your mail regarding Nokia 6230.
    > >
    > > I am sorry to learn you have been experiencing problems.
    > >
    > > At present Orange have not released their version of the Nokia
    > > 6230. Orange phones have different software to that of the
    > > manufacturers, due to the network services we offer. I believe
    > > the problems you are experiencing are due to using a non Orange handset.
    > >
    > > Unfortunately we can only supply SIM cards for your registered handset.
    > >
    > > I trust the above information is of assistance.
    > >
    > > Kind regards
    > >
    > > Orange Customer Services
    >
    > Non-Orange Handset? Since when did I have to used an Orange handset?
    >
    > "Unfortunately we can only supply SIM cards for your registered handset. "
    >
    > What is to stop me registering my new 6230 Handset?
    >
    > Infact they never knew I had my old Nokia 6610, bought that direct, and
    they
    > still sent me SIMs.
    >
    > Can they do this - surely making SIMs that only worked in tweaked Orange
    > Nokia software is against fair competition?
    >
    > At leat Orange Tech support bother replying. Nokia don't. Looks like
    another
    > bug ridden handset from Nokia.
    >
    > -Steve

    this is not good...

    Orange are reportedly releasing the 6230 in May so I might have to struggle
    until then.

    I'll be phoning them tomorrow if my SIM that I asked for 2 WEEKS
    AGO!!...hasn't arrived. and I'll see what they have to say, maybe the same
    as the response that you got, but we'll see.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    Steve wrote:
    > After learning what I had on here I asked Orange for a new/different SIM and
    > here is the response:
    >>
    >>At present Orange have not released their version of the Nokia
    >>6230. Orange phones have different software to that of the
    >>manufacturers, due to the network services we offer. I believe
    >>the problems you are experiencing are due to using a non Orange handset.

    It looks like some new Nokias don't support PCN features like Line 2 and
    the Voicemail spool icon because Nokia want the phone released quickly
    and making them money (the 6600 was also delayed on Orange for the same
    reason). Most networks aren't PCN so Nokia don't want to delay the
    release just for that.

    So Orange have to wait until Nokia release a later version of the
    firmware which does support PCN features.

    But there's no mystical Orange version of the firmware. The 6230 will
    probably be released on T-Mobile (also a PCN network) at about the same
    time. Or maybe a little sooner as T-Mobile don't have a manual mangling
    department any more.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    Steve wrote:
    > "Unfortunately we can only supply SIM cards for your registered handset. "

    Get them to supply an Orga 15 for your registered handset then... :-p

    Ben
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    "

    > Get them to supply an Orga 15 for your registered handset then... :-p
    >
    > Ben

    and what exactly IS an ORGA 15 SIM??
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    > "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Steve wrote:
    > > > "Unfortunately we can only supply SIM cards for your registered handset.
    > "
    > >
    > > Get them to supply an Orga 15 for your registered handset then... :-p
    > > Ben
    >
    > and what exactly IS an ORGA 15 SIM??

    It's a 894412 115 Sim of course

    The presumption being new Gemplus Sims aren't compatible with 6230 ?

    Steve Terry
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    > > and what exactly IS an ORGA 15 SIM??
    > >
    > It's a 894412 115 Sim of course
    >
    > The presumption being new Gemplus Sims aren't compatible with 6230 ?
    >
    > Steve Terry

    in that case I should really see if I can get one...at the moment I can't
    get ANY sim card...can't believe it's taking so long, postal strike or not!!
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    Steve posted the following for all to hear...
    > Non-Orange Handset? Since when did I have to used an Orange handset?

    Since you signed the contract!

    > "Unfortunately we can only supply SIM cards for your registered handset. "
    >
    > What is to stop me registering my new 6230 Handset?

    Orange won't let you.

    > Infact they never knew I had my old Nokia 6610, bought that direct, and they
    > still sent me SIMs.

    A replacement SIM probably won't do you any good, like most newly-
    released Nokia phones it's probably riddled with bugs.

    > Can they do this - surely making SIMs that only worked in tweaked Orange
    > Nokia software is against fair competition?

    They haven't tweaked anything really, but if it you want a new SIM just
    pay the £15.

    > At leat Orange Tech support bother replying. Nokia don't. Looks like another
    > bug ridden handset from Nokia.

    As per normal then!
    --
    www.unlockingshop.co.uk
    change 'spam' to 'info' to email

    > "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    > > At the moment the Nokia 6230 is a white elephant. Nokia will not refund
    me
    > > any money because they claim there is nothing wrong with the phone.
    Orange
    > > maintain the phone must be faulty if it rejects their SIM. Stuck with an
    > > expensive phone that does not work.
    > > Any advice?
    > > -Steve
    > >
    > I would guess Nokia will bring out a firmware update with better Sim
    > compatibility, I remember there used to be a problem with early Nokia
    6150,
    > and some 9 an 0 profile Sims preventing Sim clock stopping.
    > Late version 6150 firmware fixed that problem
    >
    > Steve Terry

    OK, spoke to OCS this morning as STILL no sim card, they tell me that they
    will send me another one out today.

    They also say that I cannot request a particular profile..all they can send
    me is the standard SIM...which probably means I'll get another 14 profile
    which wont f****g work!!!!

    AND...I have now been without my phone for 2 weeks (my original number). I
    asked if they could temporarily divert my old number to my new number so
    that at least I can stop missing buiness calls...they tell me that this is
    not possible!!...they can't divert calls!!

    what????
  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    Alistair wrote:
    > AND...I have now been without my phone for 2 weeks (my original number). I
    > asked if they could temporarily divert my old number to my new number so
    > that at least I can stop missing buiness calls...they tell me that this is
    > not possible!!...they can't divert calls!!
    >
    > what????

    Everyphone should still be working. (Is it?)

    Call 330 from your old number and divert it to your new number.

    Set the 'no answer' divert from your new number to divert to the
    answerphone in 25 seconds, not 30.

    It sounds like you'll need to borrow someone's phone and put your SIMs
    in it to do this.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    Sounds like you're falling foul of the blinkers worn by CS.

    Contact the Orange Executive Office asap; they should be able to sort
    it out for you

    Orange executive office
    executive.office@orange.co.uk
    50 George Street
    LONDON
    W1U 7DZ
    020 7984 1886
    020 7984 1602
    0870 870 0862
  24. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    Got fed up of getting emails from Orange UK telling me the Nokia 6230 is
    faulty so rang them and asked them to re-activate my old orange SIM (profile
    9) which I still have.

    Suprisingly they said no problems. Only snag is that apparently SIM Updates
    do not work if you are roaming, and I am currently abroad. Will get my old
    SIM activated when I get to the back the UK when it gets a bit warmer. Or
    maybe Nokia might bring out some fixed software before then .Some hope!

    A few other bugs I have noticed on the phone. I could not copy anything to
    the MMC card from my PC until I had given the MMC card a name. Also using
    Bluetooth I cannot transfer any files with a .txt extention. I have to
    rename them first. Odd.

    Also can someone tell m how I add stuff on the MMC card to a play list. The
    manual mentions you can do this but does not say how.

    -Steve
  25. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    > Got fed up of getting emails from Orange UK telling me the Nokia 6230 is
    > faulty so rang them and asked them to re-activate my old orange SIM
    (profile
    > 9) which I still have.
    >
    > Suprisingly they said no problems. Only snag is that apparently SIM
    Updates
    > do not work if you are roaming, and I am currently abroad. Will get my
    old
    > SIM activated when I get to the back the UK when it gets a bit warmer. Or
    > maybe Nokia might bring out some fixed software before then .Some hope!
    >
    > A few other bugs I have noticed on the phone. I could not copy anything to
    > the MMC card from my PC until I had given the MMC card a name. Also using
    > Bluetooth I cannot transfer any files with a .txt extention. I have to
    > rename them first. Odd.
    >
    > Also can someone tell m how I add stuff on the MMC card to a play list.
    The
    > manual mentions you can do this but does not say how.
    >
    > -Steve

    can you believe I STILL haven't received a replacement SIM??

    they claim to have sent 2 now!!
  26. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:31:25 +0800, "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote:

    >Also can someone tell m how I add stuff on the MMC card to a play list. The
    >manual mentions you can do this but does not say how.

    You can only add mp3s in the root directory of the MMC to the
    playlist. Definitely something that needs to be fixed.

    Gav
  27. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    Steve posted the following for all to hear...
    > Got fed up of getting emails from Orange UK telling me the Nokia 6230 is
    > faulty so rang them and asked them to re-activate my old orange SIM (profile
    > 9) which I still have.

    Launch now delayed until mid-June due to software bugs.

    Nice one Nokia.
    --
    www.unlockingshop.co.uk
    change 'spam' to 'info' to email
    SonyEricsson T610 unlock/unbrand - £15
    Motorola remote unlocking back - £20
  28. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    "Alistair" <forget_it> posted the following for all to hear...
    > can you believe I STILL haven't received a replacement SIM??
    > they claim to have sent 2 now!!

    There is/was a postal strike in the oxford area where Orange's warehouse
    is - it was affecting all replacement equipment sending. If the strike
    is over they will now be clearing the backlog.
    --
    www.unlockingshop.co.uk
    change 'spam' to 'info' to email
    SonyEricsson T610 unlock/unbrand - £15
    Motorola remote unlocking back - £20
  29. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
    > While out in Singapore I bought a brand new Nokia 6230 SIM free phone. All
    > the SIM cards worked in it like a dream except for my new UK Orange SIM
    > card. When I put the UK Orange SIM card in the Nokia 6320 it displays "SIM
    > Card Rejected". No amount of cleaning the SIM card contacts etc will get
    it
    > to work. However this SIM card works fine in all other phones.
    >
    > I took the phone back to a Nokia Service Centre. They tried my Orange SIM
    in
    > some more Nokia 6320s and it did not work in any. They told me the phone
    was
    > fine and the SIM card was incompatible with this phone claiming some sort
    of
    > Orange SIM service lock.
    >
    > I contacted Orange UK and they say there is no such lock and if the SIM
    > works in other phones it must be fine and therefore the phone is faulty.
    >
    > So now I have a fantastic new phone that will not work. Orange say it is
    not
    > their problem, and Nokia say it is not theirs. Oddly other UK Mobile SIMs
    > work in the phone (Virgin, and even my old SIM Orange SIM is not
    rejected).

    > Is it a problem because I bought the phone in Singapore? My understanding
    > was that an unlocked phone is an unlocked phone and all SIMs should work.
    > have never had any sort of incompatibility problems like this before.
    >
    > At the moment the Nokia 6230 is a white elephant. Nokia will not refund me
    > any money because they claim there is nothing wrong with the phone. Orange
    > maintain the phone must be faulty if it rejects their SIM. Stuck with an
    > expensive phone that does not work.
    >
    > Any advice?
    >
    > -Steve

    I received a new SIM this morning from orange

    894412 414

    yup..a "14" again by the look of it...

    however..put it into the phone, contacted orange to activate..and....working
    perfectly!!!

    none of the previous messing about of forcing manual network selection or
    switching on and off etc..

    SIM contacts are completely different layout from the old one, maybe this
    indicates a different supplier??...who knows...but it works!!..YAY!!!!
  30. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    > I received a new SIM this morning from orange
    >
    > 894412 414
    >
    > yup..a "14" again by the look of it...
    >
    > however..put it into the phone, contacted orange to
    activate..and....working
    > perfectly!!!
    >
    > none of the previous messing about of forcing manual network selection or
    > switching on and off etc..
    >
    > SIM contacts are completely different layout from the old one, maybe this
    > indicates a different supplier??...who knows...but it works!!..YAY!!!!

    Any chance of a digital photo of it, so we can see the layout? I though all
    SIMs were the same layout??

    Cheers,

    -Steve

Nokia Phones SIM Card