Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2012 9:03:40 PM

hi im new to computing so i require your help
currently im using a HP pavilion dv6 3006TX which has the following specs:

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-430M 2.26GHz, 3MB L3 cache
CHIPSET: Intel HM55 Express Chipset
MEMORY: 4096MB 1066MHz DDR3 (2 DIMM), 8GB Max SUPP
STORAGE: 500GB 7200 rpm
DISPLAY: 15.6" diag High-Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen display (1366 x 768)
GRAPHICS: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 switchable graphics with 1024MB DDR3 dedicated graphics
OPERATING SYSTEM: MS Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit

when playing bf3 im constantly getting fps lag- sometimes getting 10fps
im pretty sure i can get more out of it but i dont know how
i think i may have uninstalled some ATI/AMD software a while back (catalyst or something) which may be the cause
i redownloaded it but now it says my graphics hardware is not present so it has no effect

please help

thanks in advance
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 11:25:28 PM

A Mobile HD5650 isn't a high-end card, even for a laptop. Fillrate is pretty low, and GDDR3 doesn't have all that high of bandwidth.
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 11:59:53 PM

Go to AMD website and download the latest Catalyst drivers there and do a clean install.
m
l
Related resources
January 24, 2012 11:15:46 AM

when i run the catalyst suite manager the following error comes up:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
ive gone to control panel>device manager>display adapters>HD5650>update drivers and it says the latest drivers are installed
:( 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2012 11:40:52 AM

That sucks. I have the same problem with a laptop that I have that has an nvidia gt120m. I tried installing the latest nvidia drivers but I got an error saying that my version of adapter was not supported and I needed to contact the laptop manufacturer. Probably to do with the integrated graphics card which is switchable while the system is running so I am guessing it is also an integrated driver that is required.

Did you already try switching all graphic settings to the lowest?
m
l
January 24, 2012 12:18:16 PM

Try Custom Graphics drivers like these over here:
http://www.omegadrivers.net/index.php?option=com_conten...

Or the .inf edited files

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

When you have a switchable graphics card, or anything like that on a laptop, you may have to edit .inf files or download custom graphics drivers in order to update them beyond what your manufacturer supplies. This is not recommended though because the new drivers may not be optimized for your particular laptop model, creating excess heat and instability

*EDIT* also voids your warranty.
m
l
January 25, 2012 11:43:41 PM

im currently playing bf3 at the lowest possible settings

i downloaded and installed custom drivers from donotargue.com and they seemed to have installed catalyst control center - but im not sure if its the latest version:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

when i run the amd updater it still gives me the same error as before (my previous post)
m
l
January 26, 2012 1:15:13 PM

DNA Drivers are for sure not the latest
m
l
!