Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Heat issues? Memory issues? Power issues?

Last response: in Components
July 13, 2012 6:40:41 PM

Hi there, been having complete system shutdowns recently, and not entirely sure why. Most often during certain games which are relatively taxing on the system, though it only started occurring recently (Within a couple weeks).

The first thing I did was get a new power supply (considering in previous heat crashes I had a BSOD, and in power outages the computer would turn back on after a time. it does neither) with a higher 12+/12- rating (as suggested by a friend) to replace my 5+ year old power supply.

I assumed it had been going bad, or that the recent hardware upgrade sucked down more power, but it seems it may instead be a heat issue.

Here's my specs while idle.

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1CPU

AMD Athlon II X3 455 40 °C
Rana 45nm TechnologyRAM
4.00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
BIOSTAR Group A870U3 (CPU 1) 45 °C

Graphics
FUNAI TV (1280x720@60Hz)
1024MB GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+ (BFG Tech) 58 °C

While playing one of the games that causes the crashes I noticed my mobo had climbed to 70 degrees after a time. Slowly, but enough that I assume it could climb more and up up shutting it down.

I'm using a coolermaster HAF X
with the stock fan in front, one on the back, and an added intake on the side.
It is in the basement and NOT ENCLOSED, so relatively cool.

Going to run memtest as I work today, just to be sure on that as well.
Any idea why my heat might be so bad? Are my fans failing or insufficient?
July 13, 2012 6:50:09 PM

Got a few ideas for you.

Reapply thermal grease, your pc sounds a couple of years old
Put all the fans in you can, exhaust fans, case fans, make sure their good ones
Get a better cpu cooler, although in the picture it's quite a good one.
Get a actual fan and mount it over the motherboard chipset
Dust out ALL fans in the pc

That's all i can think of, i hope this helps
July 13, 2012 6:57:59 PM

This does sound like a pure heat issue.
The strangest thing going on here is the GPU's 58C idle. That's a warning sign. Either it's seriously dusty or it needs new thermal compound.

Open up your case and play for a while, monitoring temperatures constantly with an overlay program like EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner, with a full-size fan pointed directly at the parts from the side. If you heat up and shut down anyway, you've got seriously malfunctioning parts and need to figure out what to replace. If not, you have a ventilation problem.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 13, 2012 7:00:25 PM

That rig in the picture is just something i googled right quick to give people an idea how it looks. My actual heatsink is quite "meh". Not even copper. And pretty choked with dander currently.
The issues arose shortly after moving into a new place where there are a lot of animals running about, and I haven't dusted it out recently, so It would make sense that could be causing the issue.

Going to dust it out today and recheck temps after. Thermal grease may not be an issue currently, as I recently got a brand new mobo/chipset due to heat damage from the last one -_- (You have to clean out liquid coolant systems. who kneew :pt1cable:  ).

CPU cooler and more fans are probably on the list if dusting doesn't imrpove things, though from the degree of dander and dust that builds up around here and how fast it does... it may not come to that.
July 13, 2012 7:08:11 PM

@kajabla
The GPU is the oldest bit on there, so I figured if anything I might replace that soon (fairly outdated to boot, heat aside) but all the issues do seem to coincide with dust and dander without cleaning, and the advent of summer.

~Would have put this in the post above, but can't edit it for some reason =/
July 13, 2012 7:08:32 PM

Yep. Vacuum at first, then use compressed air. That'll get out the worst of the dust bunnies, then loosen everything so you can continue vacuuming.
July 13, 2012 7:22:00 PM

kajabla said:
Yep. Vacuum at first, then use compressed air. That'll get out the worst of the dust bunnies, then loosen everything so you can continue vacuuming.

Vacuum around, or actually use the suction tube to suck dust out of the case? I know it's probably a stupid question either way, but just want to be sure...

Best solution

July 13, 2012 7:38:07 PM

Both, certainly. Get the floor around the case, and then, carefully, do some vacuuming inside the case itself. I've heard that this can cause static issues, so you may want to keep one hand each on the metal tube and on the case.
July 14, 2012 1:39:07 AM

Ok, so my father in law helped me out and tweaked the page file to have a set value (not randomly setting as it needs) and removed some of the fancy bits processing in the background via desktop and what have you.

Ran a burn in test VIA furmark, and peaked around 86 or so! So things seem to be stable due to cleaning it out, vaccuming, and messing with a fan a bit.
July 14, 2012 1:41:15 AM

Best answer selected by siomasm.
!