Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Future Proof My 1.5k Build

Last response: in Systems
March 31, 2012 2:45:35 AM

Objective:
Build future proof budget gaming system
Share my resources with other amateurs like me, 1.5k seems to be the sweetspot for a affordable gaming beast
Have the money to spend more, I just hate spending it!!!!

Resources:
www.techbargains.com – Deal/sale aggregator, I’ve looked through them all and this is the best I could find, has great deals, responsible for 2 purchases so far.
www.pcpartspicker.com – another cool site. Links to build below.

Current Build (draft):
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6gWa

Notes:
• Mobo – Waiting on next gen z77 boards coming out mid April. Going all out with a gigabit or asus board, haven’t decided between the 2 or the model yet.
o Native support for the IvyBridge processors coming out June-ish
o Native support for pci-e 3.0 slots
 The newest graphics cards are going from 2.0 pcie to 3.0 (3.0 requires ivy processor)
o Gen 3 z68 boards support these features with bios updates etc. but I want to get latest and greatest Mobo
• CPU – i5 2500k
o Overclockers love it, you see it all over the forums, enough for gaming
o Going to be on sale a lot with Ivybridge coming, just missed one for $179.99
o Have option to move from sandybridge to ivybridge in the future to support 3.0 cards & improve horsepower
• GPU
o I like the sapphires 6950s, easily unlocked/overclocked but no final decision made, looking for a deal here.
o Not tied to ATI or nVidia but I think that a card comparable to 6950 is the right value range for my build.
o Probably crossfiring/sli
• CPU Cooler – CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ (Purchased)
o Tried and true air cooling system 19.99
• PSU - PPCS910 (Purchased)
o 910 watts, quality unit, 89.99 after rebates a steal
o Enough to crossfire bigger cards later
o Non-modular unfortunately
• Case - HAF X
o Its huge, top marks for air cooled system, going to fork out the full $160.
• Storage
o Intel 520 SSD 120 gb – I want, but will jump on the next 120 gb I see from reputable brand. Just missed Samsung 830 120g for 139.99.
o HD WD Caviar Black 750 gb – Will never fill this, care about speed vs volume, will buy next hd I see on sale that is decent.
o Corsair Vengance ddr3 1866 8gb RAM – Don’t really care here either, can do anything, looking for sale
• Monitor
o Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor – I guess? Haven’t researched these too much but seems reasonable.

That puts me in pretty good shape for around 1500 assuming I can find some deals.

More about : future proof build

March 31, 2012 4:05:40 AM

Looks fine. I would have gone a different route on the PSU, but it is a very good deal. It's really overkill and a lot of cables to deal with :p 

Don't forget this
http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

m
l

Best solution

March 31, 2012 6:52:46 AM

rvanecek said:
Objective:
Build future proof budget gaming system
Share my resources with other amateurs like me, 1.5k seems to be the sweetspot for a affordable gaming beast
Have the money to spend more, I just hate spending it!!!!

Resources:
www.techbargains.com – Deal/sale aggregator, I’ve looked through them all and this is the best I could find, has great deals, responsible for 2 purchases so far.
www.pcpartspicker.com – another cool site. Links to build below.

Current Build (draft):
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6gWa

Notes:
• Mobo – Waiting on next gen z77 boards coming out mid April. Going all out with a gigabit or asus board, haven’t decided between the 2 or the model yet.
o Native support for the IvyBridge processors coming out June-ish
o Native support for pci-e 3.0 slots
 The newest graphics cards are going from 2.0 pcie to 3.0 (3.0 requires ivy processor)
o Gen 3 z68 boards support these features with bios updates etc. but I want to get latest and greatest Mobo
• CPU – i5 2500k
o Overclockers love it, you see it all over the forums, enough for gaming
o Going to be on sale a lot with Ivybridge coming, just missed one for $179.99
o Have option to move from sandybridge to ivybridge in the future to support 3.0 cards & improve horsepower
• GPU
o I like the sapphires 6950s, easily unlocked/overclocked but no final decision made, looking for a deal here.
o Not tied to ATI or nVidia but I think that a card comparable to 6950 is the right value range for my build.
o Probably crossfiring/sli
• CPU Cooler – CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ (Purchased)
o Tried and true air cooling system 19.99
• PSU - PPCS910 (Purchased)
o 910 watts, quality unit, 89.99 after rebates a steal
o Enough to crossfire bigger cards later
o Non-modular unfortunately
• Case - HAF X
o Its huge, top marks for air cooled system, going to fork out the full $160.
• Storage
o Intel 520 SSD 120 gb – I want, but will jump on the next 120 gb I see from reputable brand. Just missed Samsung 830 120g for 139.99.
o HD WD Caviar Black 750 gb – Will never fill this, care about speed vs volume, will buy next hd I see on sale that is decent.
o Corsair Vengance ddr3 1866 8gb RAM – Don’t really care here either, can do anything, looking for sale
• Monitor
o Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor – I guess? Haven’t researched these too much but seems reasonable.

That puts me in pretty good shape for around 1500 assuming I can find some deals.

The 6950 is anything but future proof. If you want to utilize PCI-E 3.0 then your gong to need an Ivy Bridge cpu and AMD 7XXX card or an Nvidia Kepler card. So don't waste your money on something that's being phased out as I'm typing this.
Related resources
March 31, 2012 6:54:44 AM

Yeah, and it will also be a hassle selling the 6950 if you ever want a better GPU.
m
l
March 31, 2012 2:01:37 PM

Proximon said:
Looks fine. I would have gone a different route on the PSU, but it is a very good deal. It's really overkill and a lot of cables to deal with :p 

Don't forget this

Thats interesting, thanks for pointing that out.... I'm hoping however that I can put together my tuning plan based on what I am reading on these forums, for free!
m
l
March 31, 2012 2:07:27 PM

Why_Me said:
The 6950 is anything but future proof. If you want to utilize PCI-E 3.0 then your gong to need an Ivy Bridge cpu and AMD 7XXX card or an Nvidia Kepler card. So don't waste your money on something that's being phased out as I'm typing this.

Well this really gets to the heart of the issue for me...

I do eventually want those things - PCI-E 3 & Ivy Bridge & AMD 7XXX card but I don't want to pay the "new stuff" markup right now.

So the whole idea behind the build is that I wait on a z77 board so that when I am ready to upgrade in a year or two I'm just switching out CPU & GPU's and that's it.

My idea is to get the current higher end stuff and get a good deal, rather than pay full price for the brand new stuff... Then do the same thing in 2 years.

Maybe I should have title this differently, not really looking to future proof the build given the current components. Looking to future proof the idea of the build that ill be slapping "almost new" components into the machine over the next few years to keep costs down and value up.
m
l
March 31, 2012 2:08:57 PM

azeem40 said:
Yeah, and it will also be a hassle selling the 6950 if you ever want a better GPU.

So that's a good point, if I did want one of these sounds like it would be best to grab one used?
m
l
March 31, 2012 2:19:02 PM

you wont be able to buy an unlockable 6950 brand new amd disabled the ability to do that now, 910watt is way to much for a power supply unless u wanna run like 2 590/6990's. look closer to the time when u ready to buy cos alot changes like you cant really even get 6950's most are sold out as they are now pushing the 7 series
m
l
March 31, 2012 2:20:21 PM

Proximon said:

Don't forget this

Yeah, I hear routing the Power PC cables are like wrestling a dinosaur too, but 7 yr warranty, good reviews, just couldn't pass it up.
m
l
March 31, 2012 2:44:46 PM

jasont78 said:
you wont be able to buy an unlockable 6950 brand new amd disabled the ability to do that now, 910watt is way to much for a power supply unless u wanna run like 2 590/6990's. look closer to the time when u ready to buy cos alot changes like you cant really even get 6950's most are sold out as they are now pushing the 7 series

Yeah 910 is big, but I wanted something that would supporting a cross 590/6990 in the future... I was targeting 850 but I couldn't pass up $89.99 for a giant PC Power PSU.

So where is the best value in the GPU market right now?

I'm afraid that buying a 7xxx series isn't the best value right now since they are brand new, but I haven't been following these markets long enough to understand when the prices on the latest releases rise and fall. Although it does seem that everyone is recommending a newer card than 6950's.
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:01:09 PM

I'm also seeing alot of 680's show up on 1.5k - 2k builds. Maybe I should just be buying the latest gpu I can?

That means I'll also have to drop some $$$ on an IvyBridge if I want to leverage PCI-E 3.0.

IvyBridge + Latest Gen GPU is ~ 500 extra bucks over a value based Sandy + MidRange GPU crossfire build?
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:30:28 PM

I'm going to close this and see what I can find on the GPU value side of things. Thank you all for your responses.
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:31:05 PM

Best answer selected by rvanecek.
m
l
!