Nuke

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
I am having lots of problems trying to get my new floppy drive to work. Before I start its a "COMP USA" drive that I got at...ya you guessed it. Anyway I hooked it up physically and everything is fine. The lights come up right "not constant which I know means the IDE cable is in wrong" and bios and windows see it fine. But it wont read a disk. It usually just hangs in windows when I try to access the drive. Also I put back in my old floppy drive for few days and that worked fine but then suddenly windows would not see it right. It labeled it as a removable disk for some reason. So that begs the question is my new floppy drive defective or is it something else. Am thinking I have a bad floppy IDE cable perhaps? Its an old one I have been using for 3-4 years. Am not sure how likely something like that can go bad......if at all.

On a side note another problem I have been having.......which could be the problem to the floppy drive. Is that sometimes after turning the power off and playing with the powercords in the case my monitor has problems kicking in. Anotherwords the light would stay orange and not come green. To me that sounds like a power supply problem.
I have a 300 watt supply and the following system specs. Could you tell me whether or not 300 watts is enough for what I have?

Athlon T-bird 1000
A7V Motherboard
Geforce 1
SBL
2 NIC cards
1 IBM 60gb HDD
1 Maxtor 30gb HDD
2 cdroms
5 fans in my case
plus the floppy of course.

Is 300 enough for all that? Also could the power be the reason my floppy is not working right? Any feedback would be great. Thanks in advance :)

G

THIS IS YOUR PC TECHNICIAN

THE FLOPPY DRIVE PROBLEM BEGS ONE QUESTION. CAN YOU ACCESS THE DRIVE IN DOS? IF SO, IT IS A PROBLEM W/ WINDOWS, IF NOT, IT IS THE DRIVE

THE POWERCORD PROBLEM IS SOMETHING DIFFERENT. A ORANGE LIGHT INDICATES THAT THE VIDEO CABLE IS NOT RECEIVING DATA, A GREEN LIGHT INDICATES THE OPPOSITE. I AM PUZZLED B/C THE CORDS SHOULD NOT CREATE SUCH A PROBLEM. BUT REST ASSURED, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FLOPPY.

Kinnie_III

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
I just moved mine to a new case and it wouldn't work properly. I had to adjust the unit alignment to get it to work. I had to slide it back just a touch for the disk to load properly.

Hope this helps.

G

I have this same problem. I have been looking for the answer for weeks... I have replaced my drive and drive cable and still had a problem... I have found that it is not a drive problem but a config problem. I also found a message that my floppy is in MS-dos mode... It comes up as a removable disk in windows. I get a floppy disk failure(40) on boot. anyhow... I think the problem was on first boot the data cable was backwards,, I think it was misidentified. I am going to unistall the drivers and attempt to add new hardware...

baustin

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
I think that I have something similar, but certainly no answers. I've done all of the above and below to no avail.
Just Installed Win XP Pro on a new drive and motherboard. The Floppy Drive is installed right(pins and cables) as has been discussed in other posts. It is new drive (generic made in China), new cable that came with barebones system. All else seems to be working well. Floppy doesn't even show up in devices in windows. It appears to be setup properly in the bios utility. I'm going crazy!