Best Filler CPU for this AMD Motherboard:

Ajwork

Distinguished
May 29, 2012
Hi,

Earlier this year I was blessed with the 890gxm-g65 as a gift. It's not an intel-based board, but it's a free motherboard. A fine-quality board, too.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/890GXM-G65.html

The motherboard is [supposed to be] compatible with Bulldozer processors after a bios-update, which leads me to assume that the board will also be compatible with the Pile-Driver series of processing units.

So, until either Piledriver arrives or Bulldozer comes down in price (like, 25%), I'd like to be able to install fresh bios updates and game on a "filler" CPU.

While the compatibility list does not list the 960T, the description of the Core Unlocker strongly implies that it is.

I'm asking for a reccommendation on a filler cpu: I don't want to spend $100, but I also don't want a $20 OEM Sempron 145 off Ebay. I want something that's inexpensive, powerful at it's price point and can potentially unlock.

Thanks

Solution
You don't need to worry about unlocking a 960T anyway. No help in gaming whatsoever. My recommendation, even though it IS slightly over $100 is the Phenom II X4 965 BE. It's one of the only Phenom II X4's that you can still buy new, that I know of. There may be a couple of X2's and X3's that are available new from somewhere, but unlocking isn't a guarantee anyway, as you should know. I definitely wouldn't buy a CPU in hopes of unlocking it.

If you REALLY think that you want a 6 core CPU, you can TRY to find a X6, but they're harder to find than the X4's. You really don't need that though.
You don't need to worry about unlocking a 960T anyway. No help in gaming whatsoever. My recommendation, even though it IS slightly over $100 is the Phenom II X4 965 BE. It's one of the only Phenom II X4's that you can still buy new, that I know of. There may be a couple of X2's and X3's that are available new from somewhere, but unlocking isn't a guarantee anyway, as you should know. I definitely wouldn't buy a CPU in hopes of unlocking it.

If you REALLY think that you want a 6 core CPU, you can TRY to find a X6, but they're harder to find than the X4's. You really don't need that though.

Solution
You could use an Athlon X4 Propus while you wait for piledriver. They aren't the fastest but you can definately game on them. It would obviously beat a Sempron but fall short of a Phenom II X4/X6 especially because it lacks an L3 Cache.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103889

It's $80 though and considering for $20 more you can get a Phenom II or a FX-4100 I don't know if it's worth it. They do sell used on eBay for in the $50-$60 region.