Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best Filler CPU for this AMD Motherboard:

Last response: in CPUs
July 13, 2012 8:36:04 PM

Hi,

Earlier this year I was blessed with the 890gxm-g65 as a gift. It's not an intel-based board, but it's a free motherboard. A fine-quality board, too.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/890GXM-G65.html

The motherboard is [supposed to be] compatible with Bulldozer processors after a bios-update, which leads me to assume that the board will also be compatible with the Pile-Driver series of processing units.

So, until either Piledriver arrives or Bulldozer comes down in price (like, 25%), I'd like to be able to install fresh bios updates and game on a "filler" CPU.

While the compatibility list does not list the 960T, the description of the Core Unlocker strongly implies that it is.

I'm asking for a reccommendation on a filler cpu: I don't want to spend $100, but I also don't want a $20 OEM Sempron 145 off Ebay. I want something that's inexpensive, powerful at it's price point and can potentially unlock.

Thanks

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
a c 137 V Motherboard
July 13, 2012 8:45:01 PM

You don't need to worry about unlocking a 960T anyway. No help in gaming whatsoever. My recommendation, even though it IS slightly over $100 is the Phenom II X4 965 BE. It's one of the only Phenom II X4's that you can still buy new, that I know of. There may be a couple of X2's and X3's that are available new from somewhere, but unlocking isn't a guarantee anyway, as you should know. I definitely wouldn't buy a CPU in hopes of unlocking it.

If you REALLY think that you want a 6 core CPU, you can TRY to find a X6, but they're harder to find than the X4's. You really don't need that though.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 13, 2012 8:51:01 PM

You could use an Athlon X4 Propus while you wait for piledriver. They aren't the fastest but you can definately game on them. It would obviously beat a Sempron but fall short of a Phenom II X4/X6 especially because it lacks an L3 Cache.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's $80 though and considering for $20 more you can get a Phenom II or a FX-4100 I don't know if it's worth it. They do sell used on eBay for in the $50-$60 region.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 13, 2012 9:13:06 PM

+1 on DJDeCiBeL's suggestion.... and overclocked that 965BE won't want replacing for a while so forget Bulldozer hang on to it till piledriver matures a bit.
July 27, 2012 7:08:57 PM

Best answer selected by ajwork.
!