change default file save extensions

New to XP, and these two little things are driving me crazy.

When saving a picture from the Internet with Internet Explorer 6, it insist
on saving it with the extension .jpeg. How can I change the default to .jpg
?

Word keeps saving any new html files with the extension .htm - How can I
change it to save them as .html without having to type it in each time ? I
know I changed it in Windows 98 - I think with a registry key - but I can't
find the same thing in XP

Thanks !

Courtney
1 answer Last reply
More about change default file save extensions

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:00:26 -0700, Courtney Tompkins wrote:

    > New to XP, and these two little things are driving me crazy.
    >
    > When saving a picture from the Internet with Internet Explorer 6, it insist
    > on saving it with the extension .jpeg. How can I change the default to .jpg
    > ?
    >
    > Word keeps saving any new html files with the extension .htm - How can I
    > change it to save them as .html without having to type it in each time ? I
    > know I changed it in Windows 98 - I think with a registry key - but I can't
    > find the same thing in XP
    >
    > Thanks !
    >
    > Courtney

    To correct the jpeg/jpg extension name problem:
    Use Start> Run> Regedit

    Drill down to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\image/jpeg

    With "image/jpeg" highlighted in the left column, you should see
    a subkey named Extension on the right and it will show .jpeg as the data
    for this key. Right click Extension, select Modify and replace .jpeg with
    ..jpg

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Configuration Default Extension Windows XP