change default file save extensions

New to XP, and these two little things are driving me crazy.

When saving a picture from the Internet with Internet Explorer 6, it insist
on saving it with the extension .jpeg. How can I change the default to .jpg
?

Word keeps saving any new html files with the extension .htm - How can I
change it to save them as .html without having to type it in each time ? I
know I changed it in Windows 98 - I think with a registry key - but I can't
find the same thing in XP

Thanks !

Courtney

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:00:26 -0700, Courtney Tompkins wrote:

> New to XP, and these two little things are driving me crazy.
>
> When saving a picture from the Internet with Internet Explorer 6, it insist
> on saving it with the extension .jpeg. How can I change the default to .jpg
> ?
>
> Word keeps saving any new html files with the extension .htm - How can I
> change it to save them as .html without having to type it in each time ? I
> know I changed it in Windows 98 - I think with a registry key - but I can't
> find the same thing in XP
>
> Thanks !
>
> Courtney

To correct the jpeg/jpg extension name problem:
Use Start> Run> Regedit

Drill down to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\image/jpeg

With "image/jpeg" highlighted in the left column, you should see
a subkey named Extension on the right and it will show .jpeg as the data
for this key. Right click Extension, select Modify and replace .jpeg with
..jpg

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User