Outlook express email transfer from slave to windows 7 live mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

renovatio

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I was forced to by a new cpu and have taken my old C: drive and hooked it up as a slave.

Now I need to get the old emails to windows live messenger.

I also ordered another motherboard for the old computer and will at some point attempt to put the slave back in and hope it boots up normal so I may be able to work this that way.

Any ideas?

I can't even find the outlook express emails, and Im not even sure if I could read them if I could find them. also, as most of you know, there is no outlook express for windows 7, so I don't know how common this problem is, but I can't find much that helps.

Thanks to anyone who has gone through this problem before or anyone who can be of assistance.

:bounce:

Solution
Hi :)

Assuming you were using Outlook Express in XP... the outlook files are in .dbx files in the username/data folders...

You may find Thunderbird (its free) will import them..i am almost certain that Messenger will NOT....

The full version of Office 2010 includes the full version of OUTLOOK which would import them but its expensive...

Hope this helps ....

All the best Brett :)

Assuming you were using Outlook Express in XP... the outlook files are in .dbx files in the username/data folders...

You may find Thunderbird (its free) will import them..i am almost certain that Messenger will NOT....

The full version of Office 2010 includes the full version of OUTLOOK which would import them but its expensive...

Hope this helps ....

Solution

renovatio

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

I actually tried doing a search of the drive for .DBX but couldn't find anything?

my options are

config.msi
documents and settings
program files
WINDOWS

If I download thunderbird, will it search my drive and find them?

No Thunderbird wont search...you have to tell it where the files are....

Do another search for >>>> inbox.dbx or outbox.dbx etc etc

renovatio

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

I found 3 files for inbox.dbx. Is there a walkthrough you can point me to?

If I download thuderbird is it pretty easy to use?

renovatio

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
It worked!

The only thing I had to do was do a search for inbox.dbx then right click, the properties, then cut and paste the file name then follow the walkthrough and paste the file name.

I suspect I couldn't find the files because windows 7 defaults to "hidden files" during search or something. The files were there.

Thanks Brett!

You are welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.