Does lack of power can cause BSOD?

pedro1292

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Hi guys, I've recently upgraded my machine but I kept the old PSU. After I overclocked, I've been having casuals BSOD's. I've ran prime95 for the usual 12+ hours and it passed. But sometimes I get BSOD's out of nowhere. I've perceived that it happens mostly when I'm watching videos on YouTube. But sometimes when I'm gaming too (BF3, Civ V, MW3, FSX). I've even got two BSOD's in a sequence on YouTube. It runs a process with a name like "Memory Dumping" or something similar that I don't know what it stands for and I restart the computer.
Now it came to my mind that maybe, the issue is the PSU.

My components are:
i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz 1.42V vCore (yes, it is a hungry chip!)
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
2x2GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz on "Standard" XML profile.
Corsair H100.
One Seagate Sata II 7200RPM 320GB and one 160GB.
XFX Radeon HD4770 (I've used it at stock and overclocked settings).
Generic DVD-RW drive.
The case is a Cooler Master CM690II and I got 3 fans, one with a LED.
And the PSU is a Corsair VX450 with about 4 years of usage.

It seems that when it's not overclocked, it doesn't crash. I've kept it this way for somedays, and don't remember of any crash.
Is there a way to be sure that the problem is the PSU. I don't have any spare, more powerful PSU in hands or to borrow unfortunately.

Sorry for any english mistake, since it's not my mother language, there may be gramatical errors. Any doubts I'll be pleased to try to explain again.
Thanks in advance for your attention and answers guys.

Pedro.

Solution
As brett said.

Almost 100% certain it's your overclock settings - try lowering the clock (easy way) or adjusing the settings (hard/trial&error way) till stable. Happy O'Cing ;)

(damnit you bet me to it ;) )

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
As brett said.

Almost 100% certain it's your overclock settings - try lowering the clock (easy way) or adjusing the settings (hard/trial&error way) till stable. Happy O'Cing ;)

(damnit you bet me to it ;) )

Solution