How do you test hardware conflict before building?

joshyua

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Kind of a general question.
How do you choose the parts to avoid hardware conflicts?
Or how do you know which parts are most compatible?

cpu's are made for specific families of motherboard socket .

intels socket 1155 or AMD's socket AM3+ are current examples

motherboards/processors have specific abilities and requirements for RAM voltage and frequency

Almost everthing else has standardized connectors , like SATA for hard drives and DVD drives , or pci-e x16 slots for graphics cards

One increasingly common problem is that a newly released CPU may not work in an older motherboard without a BIOS update.

Motherboard manufactures also publish a QVL (Qualified Vendor List) of compatible memory (memory that has been tested to work with that motherboard. That does not mean that other memory will not work. It just means that it was never tested.

Power supplies also need to be appropriately sized.

Builder reviews can also give you a lot of information.

Then there's us. If you have questions, ask. Chances are someone here has built a similar system or can tell you why he didn't.

It doesn't matter. You just want to pick an appropriate combination where neither is severely bottlenecking the other.

joshyua

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010

well i have those 2 parts, with MSI p55-cd53 motherboard. my graphics driver is at the most current one.
i have been getting occasional blue screen (which hasnt happened recently) of "driver stuck in infinite loop", which after research, might have been a hardware conflict, since my graphic driver is up to date.