Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Is it possible to boot from a laptop drive in a desktop?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Laptops
  • Desktops
  • Windows Vista
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 31, 2012 8:02:38 AM

I was wondering if there was a way that I could use my old laptop HDD with Vista instead of having to go out and either pirate Windows 7 or spend $100, since I am a student I have a tight budget and just wanted to ask for some help before I went out and might have ended up wasting my money on something that I didn't need to buy.

More about : boot laptop drive desktop

March 31, 2012 8:11:41 AM

Yes, the connector's size is the same as a 3.5" drive.
m
l
March 31, 2012 8:16:57 AM

Thank's for the quick response, I just wanted to check since I was reading a few articles and they were saying that it wasn't possible because it would be different hardware.
m
l
Related resources
March 31, 2012 8:32:41 AM

It's the same hardware. I have hooked up my dad's laptop drive inside a drive bay and connected it, and it works just fine.
m
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
March 31, 2012 8:40:31 AM

The harddrive will work. The OS won't. The drivers will be wrong and I am sure its an OEM version and locked to the laptop, so wont activate.

If you are a student check with the school, mine always had a deal with Microsoft where you could buy Windows for 10 bucks from the university.
March 31, 2012 8:51:22 AM

Thanks for the help guys
m
l
March 31, 2012 8:51:41 AM

Best answer selected by underhill.
m
l
March 31, 2012 10:14:29 AM

The harddrive will work. The OS won't. The drivers will be wrong and I am sure its an OEM version and locked to the laptop, so wont activate.
m
l
November 20, 2013 2:32:29 PM

It all depends on chipsets and drivers. You are all correct. The OS may not work all that well because some drivers would have to be different. It may even book, but will hang over time. Besides for peace-of-mind it is better to be the owner. One way that may work for you is booting into Linux and using a Virtual machine for those programs that HAVE to work in Windows. I made the switch to Ubuntu and I have never looked back. I can do everything I need to with the thousands and thousands of free applications.
m
l