Your question

XFX HD 6950 Possible voltage problem?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • HD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 24, 2012 8:52:21 AM

I recently bought a XFX 6950 2GB, and have been having lots of issues with it. It just wont run, 2 minutes into watching a youtube video i get checkerboard green and red squares all over my screen and then my system freezes, also about 30 seconds while playing any game, it does the same, and sometimes i get the BSOD blaming atikmpag.sys. My system specs are:

i5 2500k
2x64GB SSD's
1 TB HD
16GB Corsair Vengeance 4x4gb
P8P67 Pro motherboard
Corsair TX650 PSU
and ofcourse the HD 6950

I have looked at many GPU-Z pictures like mine that I have provided a link to, and everyone's +12V is 12+, 12.16, 12.032, etc... Mine is below 12, could that be the reason my system keeps hanging up? The CPU is at 12.098 constant. I was about to RMA the card, but now I think it might be this voltage problem, and if it is, how can i fix it? The card is connected with 2 6pin connectors if that matters. I also tried 10 different drivers, no luck.

PICTURE LINK TO GPU-Z

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/voltagesl.jpg/

More about : xfx 6950 voltage problem

a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2012 9:11:24 AM

Well the core voltage of the actual gpu would cause more problems than a slightly off 12 volt rail. I think the core voltage of the 6950 should be 1.1volts. Not sure tho.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2012 12:00:48 PM

11.94V is damn close to 12V. The core voltage of the 6xxx series of gpu's drops when no load is present and ramps back up when loaded so that is not your problem. Is there any chance it is overheating? Maybe you could try manually turning up the fan speed and try loading your gpu again with a game or video and see what happens.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2012 1:12:55 PM

If you are concerned with your volts, download and run OCCT

At the end of a one hour run a chart window will open. One of the charts will show power delivery to your GPU over the term of the test. Any volt swing, drops or bad ripple will be readily visible.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2012 1:54:22 PM

sangino said:
I recently bought a XFX 6950 2GB, and have been having lots of issues with it. It just wont run, 2 minutes into watching a youtube video i get checkerboard green and red squares all over my screen and then my system freezes, also about 30 seconds while playing any game, it does the same, and sometimes i get the BSOD blaming atikmpag.sys. My system specs are:

i5 2500k
2x64GB SSD's
1 TB HD
16GB Corsair Vengeance 4x4gb
P8P67 Pro motherboard
Corsair TX650 PSU
and ofcourse the HD 6950

I have looked at many GPU-Z pictures like mine that I have provided a link to, and everyone's +12V is 12+, 12.16, 12.032, etc... Mine is below 12, could that be the reason my system keeps hanging up? The CPU is at 12.098 constant. I was about to RMA the card, but now I think it might be this voltage problem, and if it is, how can i fix it? The card is connected with 2 6pin connectors if that matters. I also tried 10 different drivers, no luck.

PICTURE LINK TO GPU-Z

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/voltagesl.jpg/

Edit:

It's a very good possibility the card is defective (it happens often enough) and thus unlikely it's the PSU... Your can run some memory diagnostics such as WINDOWS MEMORY DIAGNOSTIC or MEMTEST86 http://www.memtest.org/ - just to simply rule out RAM. Download Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) and burn the image to disk (.iso) and boot from it and let it do its thing.

m
l
July 7, 2012 7:42:32 AM

Hi OP i guess we have same problem I ahve random or intermittent OrangeSOD,BlueSOD,GreySOD,RedSOD

replaced some new parts except my (VGA)

Intel core 2 duo 3GHZ E8400
Gigabyte G41MT-S2p
Team Group 8GB DDR3 1333 Dual Channel
AMD 6950 1GB XFX gfx card
Samsung 250GB SATA
PSU 800 WATTS AEROCOOL XTREME
m
l
!