/ Sign-up
Your question

Any point upgrading my GPU?

  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Cooling
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
January 24, 2012 8:57:28 AM

I've been thinking about upgrading my GPU, but I din't want to shell out the cash unless it'll make a significant difference. Here's my specs

CPU: i5 2500k o/c to 4.2 GHz
GPU: Radeon Sapphire 6850 1GB
Power: 650w
Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 pro

I'm thinking either the 6950 2GB or the 560ti GB. What would you chaps recommend?

More about : point upgrading gpu

January 24, 2012 9:38:51 AM

I dont guess GTX 560 ti is a proper upgrade for 6850. At least you must try GPU card levels of GTX 570 or 6970. Your PSU and CPU looks okay!!!
January 24, 2012 9:46:56 AM

:bounce:  Agree with xtcx you could use the upgrade for higher frames per sec . depending on what res you are running at.. you wont see much diff at lower res but at 1080p or multiple monitors you will..
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2012 9:48:47 AM

What games are you playing?

I would say wait a few weeks for more of the 7XXX series to come out (or the 6XX series nvidia).
January 24, 2012 9:50:13 AM

Stick with what you have until ready to upgrade to the next generation of cards.
a c 185 U Graphics card
January 24, 2012 10:30:02 AM

There is always a chance to wait and even after the release of the 7xxx or GTX 6xx, but if you can wait for it good. But if you can't, go for a 6950 and crossfire it later.

Or what you can do is, crossfire your 6850, then buy a 7xxx series card after.
a c 84 U Graphics card
January 24, 2012 10:55:54 AM

no need to upgrade now with that card it will work well for 1 or 1.5 years more without any problems in most games and after 1.5 years i think the hd 8xxxx series will also launch with new tech so upgrading on that time will save your money and that will be more good instead of buying an hd 7xxxx series card:)
January 24, 2012 11:18:42 AM

agree with the others. I upgraded from a 6870 to a gtx 580, after selling the 6870 it cost me $200 in total for the upgrade (i have same cpu as you too). while it made a difference, I was happy enough with the 6870 and could have used that money for other things. If you can crossfire with your mobo I'd say go for another 6850, or maybe first try OC'ing your gpu.
January 24, 2012 2:06:10 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone, reckon I'll wait until there's a good reason to upgrade before I go spending money.

I'll look into crossfire, but I think I'd rather something with 2GB vram if I were gonna upgrade.