What would be the better option for a budget build: Intel or AMD

drewb123

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
I have a pretty tight budget, (around 250 for CPU + MB), and i want to know what would be a better option. Right now, i could get a Phenom ii x4 965 + asrock 970 for $180. An intel build would cost a lot more. Is it worth it to go intel? I would rather keep the money and save up for a good Graphics card. what is my best option?

Solution

There is nothing wrong with the Phenom II but the I3 will be faster, even though it's only a dual core, It outperforms the Phenom II's and Bulldozer because it has a better, more efficient micro architecture. "More corezz" doesn't make a CPU better. The I3 will be more than enough for fooling around on the internet and most games.

What are you going to be doing with this computer. Intel won't cost alot more you can do a pretty cheap build with a 50-75 dollar socket 1155 board and an I3 or Sandy Bridges Pentium.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Yup, as your above mentioned work loads and very light, an i3 is more than sufficient for ur budget :) Get the Core i3-2120, no worries :)

If ur budget is getting too tight, dropping down to a Pentium G850 also won;t be a bad idea :)

There is nothing wrong with the Phenom II but the I3 will be faster, even though it's only a dual core, It outperforms the Phenom II's and Bulldozer because it has a better, more efficient micro architecture. "More corezz" doesn't make a CPU better. The I3 will be more than enough for fooling around on the internet and most games.

Solution