Bootable CD Question?

Nuke

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
Am trying to make a bootable cd of my C: and I have run into a couple snags. First off I have a plextor writer and am using the easy cd creator software. I am also using drive image pro to get my c: image. My question is what do I do when my c: image is too big to fit on a cd? I did a maximum compression and split into 630 meg chunks. It made 2 seperate files a .pqi file and .002 file. The smaller file is about 200 megs. Am not really sure what am suppose to do here. Do I burn the larger .pqi on 1 cd then do the smaller .002 on another or can I keep the .002 on my hdd?

Also when trying to clean off my c: to get it to fit to 1 cd I noticed a hidden dir in my root c: that is about 300 megs.
Its called _RESTORE. Does anyone have any idea what this dir is for? Can I delete it? Do I need to include it on my boot cd? Btw am running windows ME.

Also I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I wasnt sure whether to post it hard drive forum or the cd forum.

Any feedback would help. Thanks in advance.

G

First to make the bootable CD just copy msdos.sys io.sys and command.com form your root drive to the CD, you may include autoexec.bat and config.sys if you wish (bt I never tried it but it should work)

Second, _restore directory is the directory where the backup of your old system is stored when you upgraded to winme, just go to add/remove programs and delete the option to uninstall winme if you don't need it.

Toz Alaikum.

Fa1c0n

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You need to "span" your image across more than one disk. If Drive Image doesn't have an option to do it (I think it does though), then you need to get CD Res-Q from Plextor. It will do what you need.

:wink: :cool: :wink: :cool: :wink: :cool: :wink: :cool:
:smile: <b><font color=green> Have a day </font color=green></b> :smile:

G

If you copy msdos.sys, io.sys and command.com into a CD it doesn't become a boot CD, the burning software has to burn it as a bootable CD.

The _Restore dir is created by WinME to "backup" files. You could destroy it or not include it into the backup without having any problem. A few months after installing Windows ME the _Restore dir may have eaten half your hard drive.

The best way to fight boredom is sleeping