Sign in with
Your question

Help on deciding on a heatsink for AMD Phenom II X4 965

Last response: in Components
July 14, 2012 2:35:29 AM

Hey guys, I'm hoping that I'm posting in the correct thread.

Ok, I have an AMD Phenom II quad core 965, but the stock heatsink gets kinda loud, so i'm looking to upgrade (my first ever attempt at handling hardware) to a new one.

I actually got the computer off amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FRSVPU/ref=oh_deta...) as a gift for my birthday earlier this year. I've always been a little weary of building my own, but when the GPU arrived rattling around inside the tower, after plugging it into the motherboard, I felt a little less apprehensive. So now I want to attempt my first upgrade. If all goes well, I'd like to upgrade the GPU to something better also.

But, I don't want to get off topic. I don't know if heatsinks get so large, that case size matters, but I cannot find anywhere on the case, or the paperwork that came with the computer that indicates who the manufacturer is or what model it is.

So if that's something to be considered, I'm out of luck. So do you guys have any recommendations for me? I can't remember my average temp when running a resource demanding game (I'm stuck on my laptop at the moment) but I know it stays relatively cool, even under pressure. Since it's this flexible, I'd like to OC it to 3.8 or 3.9 (i've heard this is a stable OC)

If more information is needed, I'll try.

And go easy on me if I'm being stupid, I'm not really hardware savvy.

July 14, 2012 3:39:20 AM

the CM hyper 212 + or EVO are about all i would bother to put on phenom II, they cant really go past 4GHz

also, can you take a ruler, go all the way and touch the motherboard (try to get to the PCB and not a component) and measure how far it is to the side of your case
m
l
!