trevmc123

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
hi my pc wont boot fans all come on but no signal to monitor cleaned out all dust from psu and rest of pc tested the psu with the paper clip method found this on the net worked fine tried the monitor on my laptop that works fine tried booting without added graphics card no change its only a cheap pc a emachines e4216 with a intel 925 dual core processor, 2gb ram added myself 500mb when brought new, 200gb seagate hard drive replaced 6 month ago but was second hand and a geforce 8500gt graphics card pc was working ok before this problem it used to unexpectedly shutdown within the first 5 min everytime but on the second start it worked fine and somtimes would get stuck when booting up and no matter how you wait it wouldn't boot up had to switch off power supply and restart but once warmed up was fast on internet and played games like gears of war 3 and call of duty black ops with no problems only on the odd time games would freeze/crash please can someone help hoping to do a home repair cant afford new pc at the minute out off work

Pepto

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
You might have shorted something when cleaning or when you tested the PSU with the paperclip method. Did you put the paper clip in the green wire and the other end in one black/gray wire? I would also open the PC back up and look closely to see if anything is damaged or if the CPU heat sink was dislodged, or possibly the graphics card died.

trevmc123

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
thanks for your reply pepto i did put the paper clip in the green and black pins and fan on psu worked dont think i shorted anything because problem my started before i openened the pc to clean it but thinking back the pc did make popping noise before it died so think somthimg has blown plus dont think the heatsink was fastened tightly to cpu was a 1-2 mm layer of dirt between cpu and heatsink cleaned heatsink fan and back of cpu appllied more thermal paste no change not so sure its the graphics card because no change when booting up with card removed anymore ideas please

Sounds like a bad PSU, regardless of your paperclip test.

Can you borrow one from somebody else and try it in your PC?

- Edit - By the way, you might want to utilize the enter key a little bit more. It makes it easier for us to read what you are writing and that makes it easier for us to help you.

trevmc123

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

thanks will try a different psu see if this is the problem

Pepto

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Popping noise? That leads me to believe that a few capacitors popped their tops. Check to see if any capacitors on your motherboard, graphics card, or possibly inside your PSU (Do not recommend opening your PSU, try looking through the vents with a flashlight if possible) have bulging or blown tops.

This is what you are looking for:
evga_nvidia_blown_capacitors_1080.jpg

I only ever heard of a few DELL brand model lines doing that and only in a short span of years that occurred a long time ago.

Have there been more instances of that lately that I haven't heard about?

These days it is more likely for a popping noise to just mean a blown PSU, and possibly damaged motherboards/video cards.