Can this computer run WoW: Cataclysm on atleast LOW Settings?

igcechelon

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Hey everyone, I am getting a lot of mixed answers lately, so I decided to come to this website, hopefully a more experienced tech site.

I am looking at this ASUS PC Laptop on Amazon, and it's 750$ USD...Here are the specs.

6GB DIMM RAM

Intel Core i7-2670QM (2.2GHz)

Nvidia Geforce GT 610m 2G

750 GB Hard Drive

I know the only downside is the graphics card, but atleast, am I able to play WoW: Cataclysm on LOWEST settings getting atleast 30FPS+? WoW isn't really a graphic-heavy game, I read the Cata requirements and I think I should be fine...thanks for any help I really appreciate it. Also, if anyone knows an under 800$ gaming laptop, I'd definitely appreciate it!!

igcechelon

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

According to the Cataclysm requirements, the recommended reqs are 2GB RAM, 3.0Ghz, GeForce 8600 GT...sure I can only run it on low/medium? XD without any lag?

Not saying you're wrong, but i've seen people with this same setup play Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2 on low-med settings with 30-40 FPS. Just wondering.

Looking at the benches on that page I linked, I think it'll play most games at low-medium, actually, I'm just playing it safe. Looking at that page though, it'll struggle with BF3 and Crysis 2, but should do quite well with WoW. I just don't want to tell you it'll max it out or anything because it won't.

igcechelon

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

Eh, that's fine, at the very least I would like to get 30FPS+ with all settings at the lowest. But does anyone have any recommendations for desktops that I could possibly get up to high-ultra to?

I don't know what CPU the system used that they used to do the benches with on the 610m, but I would say that WoW: Cataclysm should run well over 30 FPS on medium.

And you can build a desktop that will max it out for around $750, I'm almost positive. If it were BF3, it would be a different story, but with WoW, it shouldn't be hard at all.

igcechelon

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

I've always thought about building a PC, considering I am going to be having my laptop plugged in constantly, so there is virtually no difference. But I was always worried about spending like 300$ extra just for a decent monitor. I do have an extra monitor from a pretty old Dell PC I bought a while back that might work (because I played WoW Burning Crusade on it years ago) Would there be a problem using that monitor on a newer, built PC?

igcechelon

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

Alright, sorry for all the questions, but I'm taking a look at my older Dell monitor, and it's got VGA ports and everything but I don't know how to check the resolution...do you know any like beginner guides to building a PC? I know the best sites are usually newegg.com and tigerdirect.com...but I have no idea how to get started...

igcechelon

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

I've watched the first two parts, putting it together seems simple enough considering I've heavily modded many Xbox 360's. Along with watching the video I should get the hang of it. But picking the parts always gets me confused, I have no idea what components will work with eachother. Haha. Does anyone have a budget gaming build they already know is compatible? :D

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Yep. Put a new post up asking for assistance in a budget build for a specific amount of money (aka budget) and info on what you need / have.

It's quite easy making a budget build for $500-600 and ~$120-30 for a decent 21-23'' monitor (watch those sales).

Just ask and we'll deliver :)

TBH, the hardest part about computer building is the software side of thing if something goes bad. the actual physical piecing together of the computer is pretty easy and very straight foward.

as for a computer build, it depends on your budget. use the build guidelines to make it simpler