Opinions on low end H61 builds? ($700)

Ayydre

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Hi all, I'm struggling with the merits of two different strategies for a ~$700 build.

1) Start with a low end H61 micro ATX board (~$50)
2) Start with a mid range Z68 ATX board (~$120, ASRock extreme3 for example)

I don't plan on using multiple GPU's or overlocking (I'm looking at a i5 2400), so my question is: is there any reason I should not just go for option 1 and invest in a better GPU/power supply/etc.

I know that the overall quality of the board will be lower, but how does that manifest itself in the performance, durability etc? Also, am I losing any important features by going from Z68 to H61?

Thanks!

Performance might be a little less and the lifespan is kind of hit or miss. I had a $150 board crap out on me last week and I got a $60 board to replace it temporarily while I wait for a refund. And I have to say, I like my $60 microATX biostar its performed better than expected and is not a bad board at all. It has an older chipset but my performance is maybe < 2% different. I think you could get a cheaper board and invest your money on RAM, GPU, and PSU. That might be the way to go if you're on a budget because your CPU is gonna be sweet either way. Maybe make your budget $65-$75 on a microATX because you said you have no intentions on SLI/Crossfire so a microATX and a 500watt PSU might be the way to go. Just my opinion.

I use amd CPUs so I went from a 990xa to 880 chipset. But what geekapproved said is true h61 will be good for your use.