2 x 6950 HD Sapphire (Crossfire)
Intel 2600k (3.5ghz)
8gb RAM
60 gb FORCE 3 SSD (OS loaded)
2tb Black HDD (Games loaded)
g1.Sniper (MOBO)
Corsair 1050HX

Hi everyone!

I'm hoping to clear up some issues I have been having with this machine since day of purchase.

This is where it started; when I first loaded up Battlefield 3 after OS / Driver installation on day of purchase; the game was running absolutely sexy. Silky smooth and I have a real knack for picking up any jerky / stuttering image. When I went into BF3 video options and changed the settings to Ultra...it was stuttering. I would average between 50-60fps but as soon as it dropped below 60, stuttering occured. So I changed it back to 'auto' settings and still the stuttering persisted. I then tried medium/high settings and still stuttering....

The first time I tested it, I had no vysnc on and it was beautiful; 100+ FPS on 'auto' settings. Now, every game I play I am forced to play with Vysnc enabled otherwise there'll be an exceptional amount of stuttering. I have tested Counter strike source, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Portal 2, GTA IV (although a crap port) and throughout my play sessions there's always a stuttering motion as though a frame is being skipped.

No matter what graphics settings I set, this issue remains. I find it very, very strange that the first game I tested and played (Battlefield 3) would run very smooth without even vysnc enabled, but as soon as I touched the game video settings, it affected all games throughout.

Furthermore, I understand micro stuttering in multiple GPU setups: I have tested with single 6950's in multiple games and still the stuttering occurs.

Please note; I have tested multiple ATI Drivers and installed them with the proper process (Driver sweeper etc...).

Sorry to drag this further, but I think it's important to add that I have another build of the same setup, but instead it has 2 x GTX 580's and an extra 8gb ram. At the beginning it was a bit stuttering, but some tweaks I have managed to maintain 60FPS in almost all games at ultra settings, Much...much smoother in comparison. Between the two machines, I have noticed that when the GPU's are under load, they both emit a buzzing / clicking noise. I have noted it's a capicitor buzzing like crazy; if I take vysnc off then it emits a high frequency squeeling noise. Nothing to do with fans, shame it's on 4 god damn GPU's...But from what I gathered this does not affect performance. :'( 

Has anyone else have a similiar issue?

Thanks everyone! Any help will be much appreciated!!!

More about : stuttering games

January 24, 2012 2:30:06 PM

So vysnc fixes it... how is that a problem?

As for why it suddenly showed up, can't really say. Maybe some CCC settings were changed.
m
l
January 24, 2012 10:58:02 PM

Hi there, thanks for the reply!

I apologise I should expand on that a bit more. I said "exceptional amount of stuttering" without vysnc. However with vysnc on there is still a good amount of stuttering/jerky feel to it. What I'm trying to say is that originally I could play without vysnc perfectly fine.

Cheers!
m
l
Related resources
January 24, 2012 11:44:12 PM

Mysterious. You say each single card gives you the same result in all games? Reinstall BF3 and then your video drivers to start.
m
l
January 24, 2012 11:48:17 PM

If an capacitor emits high-frequency sounds, that means it is going to crack open or die soon, which capacitor is making these sounds? If its on the GPU and it is an new card, RMA it...

Also, maby when you disable VSync, the sounds stops is because your card isn't at full load anymore and the capacitor is not working at its 100%...

Hope it helps! :) 
m
l
January 24, 2012 11:54:34 PM

The high squeal could be coil whine, which is a common and harmless problem. I have it too. It's not threatening. The buzz/click is much more worrying, though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise
m
l
January 25, 2012 12:02:53 AM

kajabla said:
The high squeal could be coil whine, which is a common and harmless problem. I have it too. It's not threatening. The buzz/click is much more worrying, though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise

Those sounds are usually really quiet, if the high squeal can be heard from far (Case closed + 1m distance) that can mean some problems... When a capacitor overheats, it produces sometimes those sounds.
m
l
January 25, 2012 12:36:06 AM

When I run my 460 at full load (which I do, Folding, for hours), it's audible from ~2m.
m
l
January 25, 2012 12:41:06 AM

Are you sure that it is not your fan's sound?
m
l
January 25, 2012 12:47:06 AM

Yes. It's a classic coil whine noise. Even if the OP's whine is safe, though, the stuttering and the buzzing remain.
m
l
January 25, 2012 1:13:52 AM

Hi, and thank you both for your replies!

I went back to the place of purchase, they tested and believe it is coming from the Powersupply. They are going to RMA, however I still feel as though the sound is coming from the GPU's, I can only wait and see.

The actual buzzing is liken to a 'fast clicking noise'. For example; on my other machine of the same specifications except instead of 6950's there are GTX580's; it produces a buzzing/clicking noise when vysnc is on. With vysnc off it is no longer clicking/buzzing but rather a high pitched squeeling noise.

I changed the GPU's with a GTX275 for testing purposes, and loathe and behold the sound is gone. I've learn to live with it, from my research over uncle google it doesn't affect the GPU's performance nor should it affect it's overall lifetime except for rare and extreme circumstances.

So to repeat:

The buzz/clicking noise is only when the VYSNC is enabled
The high pitched squeeling noise only occurs when VYSNC is disabled

Thoughts? lol

Thanks again! Greatly appreciated
m
l
January 25, 2012 1:52:39 AM

lo = behold
so "lo and behold" is redundant, but that's still the correct expression
I loathe problems with my electronics
moving on

I didn't realize the 580s were getting the sound too. That does seem to point at the PSU.
m
l
January 25, 2012 4:08:58 AM

Well when I run FurMark I get squealing. Seems like any time my GPU core is able to run full blast pumping high FPS it will squeal - however, when gaming, I almost never have that happen.

A buzz sound is not good, that's probably a different issue. If the PSU is providing a fluctuating voltage then stutter could definitely happen.
m
l
January 25, 2012 5:00:12 AM

Disable Hyperthreading.
m
l
!